Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you drive your 992 year round?
Yes
84.00%
No
16.00%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Do you drive your 992 year round?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 10:35 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I would submit that to Panorama for pic of the week. Gorgeous!

siberian
Old 01-05-2022, 10:45 PM
getto822000
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 95 Posts

I was planning to order a C4S as my personal primary winter car (wife has a Tesla Plaid for family use). But ultimately after how disgusting it got here this winter in Minnesota with all the nasty salt on the roads I just opted for a Tesla Y Performance for my year round beater car so that I could order a more wild C4S spec without the winter bits on it. We also have a new baby on the way that we didn't know about when I got on the wait list for the 992.

I will however take the C4S out on nice winter days for fun. But I won't have to drive it when the days are just awful out there, like today when I took the wife's S Plaid to the dealership to order the C4S. We had 3 inches of snow followed by single digit temps and very slick roads. The weight of the Tesla with snow tires worked well. And you can remotely heat it up, etc. The 1000hp, 1000tq definitely felt a little squirrelly on the ice but they have excellent traction control on those cars.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:59 PM
BillyX
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

Depends where you are in MN. I lived and drove in the Twin Cities area about 40 years ago, and it's really flat. We had a Pinto wagon RWD and a Datsun FWD, and we made it most anywhere nearby with factory tires. At that time they spread a mixture of sand and ground up tires on the roads, rather than salt. With a C4S and winter tires, you should be good. Unless you hit a whiteout in the flat countryside, then you're toast.
The following 2 users liked this post by BillyX:
AlexCeres (01-05-2022), detansinn (01-05-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 04:02 PM
Raybold7
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

I didn't vote because my car won't arrive for a few months yet, but if I did it would be a no. I'm terrified of driving in inclement weather. I've having palpitations about getting it wet when I wash it! All you owners that drive in the snow I tip to my hat to you because they are meant to be driven all year round. I think if I had more money than sense I probably would, but in all honesty my beauty will only come out when the sun is shining and there's no salt on the road which isn't fair on me or the car
Old 01-07-2022, 05:12 PM
manual_laborer
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes
The following 2 users liked this post by manual_laborer:
kgs365 (01-07-2022), siberian (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 06:04 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by Raybold7
I think if I had more money than sense I probably would,
That implies that those who do have less sense or are just filthy rich. I think more money than sense is buying an expensive car that you are afraid to drive regularly. You must have money to burn to do that.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 07:07 PM
NYG1121
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 48 Posts

Took out the C2 today on winter michelins around boston during first snowstorm of the year. So planted and absolutely no issues. What a fun beast!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by NYG1121:
ABSFlyer36 (01-08-2022), detansinn (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 10:16 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 784 Posts

Heads up for folks driving 992s in REALLY cold temperatures (we’ve been down to -33C-27F numerous days since Xmas). Car hasn’t thrown any codes but ran a full diagnostic with my Autel and there have been numerous intermittent cold-related errors logged:

Right dynamic radiator louver failure
Driver and passenger side dimming mirrors
Wet mode sensor errors (lots)…a consequence of snow in the wheel wells melting and freezing I expect.
Front camera errors (yeah, -33 C at 100km/hr is hella cold)

Not fussed; cleared all the errors and will see which (if any) come back with temperatures heading up to +2 C by Monday. Frankly, the front dynamic louvers seem pretty exposed and prone to ice accumulation, so not surprised they don’t work reliably. With freeze and thaw cycles 4x a day, also not surprised wet mode loses it it’s little mind.
The following 2 users liked this post by gcurnew:
detansinn (01-07-2022), siberian (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 11:27 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Wet mode will be useless for us. My sensors are probably buried under 3 inches of snow and ice. Just wish there was a way of turning this off permanently as I can still see when the road is wet and drive accordingly.

Yes, camera will be a bit of a problem, probably also due to obstruction from snow and ice (as well as temperature).

Mirrors should be able to avoid that by keeping rear defroster on all the time.

We've been dipping below -30C, breathing a respite for a couple of days and then we should hit 40 below and down.

Thanx for the post!

siberian
gcurnew (01-08-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 11:28 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Raybold7
I didn't vote because my car won't arrive for a few months yet, but if I did it would be a no. I'm terrified of driving in inclement weather. I've having palpitations about getting it wet when I wash it! All you owners that drive in the snow I tip to my hat to you because they are meant to be driven all year round. I think if I had more money than sense I probably would, but in all honesty my beauty will only come out when the sun is shining and there's no salt on the road which isn't fair on me or the car
It’s a Porsche. It’s not something fragile. The most sensible thing to do is to enjoy it as a car.

Drive it all over the place. Go adventuring. Eat Taco Bell inside of it. Enjoy the whole experience.

People put the 911 on such a high pedestal that they can’t fully appreciate or enjoy the actual experience.

My best driving days in this car are when I truly beat on it and enjoy everything that it can do… regardless of the weather.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:31 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sorry NO. There will be NO, and I repeat, NO Taco Bell eating inside or anywhere near the car as passing wind is totally and absolutely NICHT GESTATTET!

siberian
Old 01-07-2022, 11:33 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
It’s a Porsche. It’s not something fragile. The most sensible thing to do is to enjoy it as a car.
To be honest, I'm surprised by the amount of worrying people do on their Porsche's behalf -- didn't expect it. My 991.2 GTS was my first Porsche. BMW folks generally drive their cars, which is the world I came from. The Aston DBS I briefly owned definitely didn't feel like a daily, so for the first time in my life I bought another car to be my daily. Didn't enjoy that at all -- I like having *my* car. Also I never quite fit in the Aston, so I flipped it and the DD for the Porsche. The Porsche was perfect from day one. They've achieved something remarkable with the 911.
detansinn (01-08-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 04:05 AM
Raybold7
Advanced

Originally Posted by detansinn

Drive it all over the place. Go adventuring. Eat Taco Bell inside of it. Enjoy the whole experience.

People put the 911 on such a high pedestal that they can’t fully appreciate or enjoy the actual experience.

My best driving days in this car are when I truly beat on it and enjoy everything that it can do… regardless of the weather.
I can’t argue with any of that because I know you are right, except for the Taco Bell part. Coffee and cake maybe but generally no food. Besides, I think we only have 2 Taco Bells in the whole of the U.K.

You’re right about the experience. I did the Porsche experience day and drove their car like I stole it. Un. B. Leave. Able!!!! (Spelling ignored for dramatic purpose). I can’t see me ever driving my car the way I drove theirs sadly.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:06 AM
Raybold7
Advanced

Originally Posted by siberian
Sorry NO. There will be NO, and I repeat, NO Taco Bell eating inside or anywhere near the car as passing wind is totally and absolutely NICHT GESTATTET!

siberian
Amen to that brother
Old 01-08-2022, 09:03 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

I would LOVE to drive a 911 in the winter…..so it is almost cathartic to talk bout this…but since my first Porsche in 1995…I have had an alternate winter car. Back then, there was one local dealer - who was young and an enthusiast himself - would lease you some nice options on a six month term which some guys I knew did…me included. Being a contractor there was always some sensitivity to driving expensive cars in the market and perception by employees (yes I cared) so those expensive cars were driven by my wife daily and me on weekends or nights…making it “her” car, and where I would drive an SUV. Then leasing became more mainstream and you could get something REALLY nice for the same cost as the six month term you were doing on a six month term ‘nice’ car….then my enthusiast dealer friend would lease me anything - any term - and swapping in and out of cars became far too easy…and oddly not much of a premium…which is a long winded story to say early on in my Porsche journey, I chose the luxury of storing them…and now 20+ Porsches later..I never had the constitution to bring them in the salt or sand….and with snows on them…they are magnificent I KNOW - maddening. Now I have two 911s in the garage and one on the way?!!..which is stupid because they are all stored and won’t be used in the winter…and even more annoying…our winter here forces me to store our boat six months a year…so when summer comes - I am doing nothing but moving/ cleaning cars and trying to wedge in some time on the boat around my ‘day job’ and a golf game once a week - again maddening!…and incidentally I am not a wealthy guy…doing fine as most p car owners …but still a big nut for me…and so which car do you sacrifice to the sand/ salt Gods??? - the GT3T- 992 Targa4S or 992 TTS…and listen to the crackle crackle peppering under the floor pan and salt and sand getting on my carpets…..or simply leave them all in the garage and drive a Golf R and Range Rover. This is what I am dealing with…

OK - I feel better now…thanks for reading.😳

Quick Reply: Do you drive your 992 year round?