992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seven discreet build questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2021 | 08:22 AM
Taxjoc
Advanced

Default Seven discreet build questions...

Working on my build (Targa 4S) for the 478th time and have 7 discreet questions.

1. My exterior color choice is Aventurine Green Metallic. I really like the truffle brown club leather. But there are three problems with this: (a) since I am also ordering the interior trim inlays in paldao and the backrest shells in leather with paldao inlay, it is turning out to be a lot of brown, (b) I am ordering the deviated stitching interior package, and either chalk or pebble just does not seem to offer a lot of contrast, and (c) truffle costs about $1,510 more than some of the other colors. I am considering black leather instead of truffle brown as it cuts down on the brown and the chalk or pebble seems to offer a better contrast and I save $1,510. The configurator shows the backrest shells in paldao with black seats (suggesting to me Porsche thinks black looks best). Is the club leather really that much better? Am I crazy to order black seats in Aventurine Green exterior color? Is there still sufficient contrast between chalk or pebble and truffle?

2. I have found no pictures of the engine compartment cover in titanium grey. Can someone please post a pic? I realize no one will see it until you pop the rear hood open but still looks good to me.

3. I have found no pictures of the upper interior mirror panel in leather. Even the picture on the configurator is poor and you can't see any deviated stitching. Can someone please post a picture of the upper mirror panel in leather with contrast stitching?

4. I found several pictures of the floor mats which appear to be the personalized floor mats with leather edging but I am not sure. Can someone post a picture of the standard floor mats and then perhaps someone can post a pick of the personalized floor mat (maybe someone has it in black with truffle edging)?

5., Is there much of a difference between chalk stitching and pebble stitching. They look very similar to me. Which color is lighter?

6. I have read that the sunvisors in leather have deviated stitching on them but I have not seen a picture of a sunvisor with deviated stitching. Can someone please post a picture?

7. In the "tequipment accessories" you can order all weather floor mats in a variety of colors. If you order these all weather floor mats, are they put in the vehicle by the factory or does the dealer put them in the car?

Popular Reply

12-29-2021, 07:57 AM
Taxjoc
Advanced

Thanks to everyone for their excellent comments and taking the time to provide them. Richard_Wallace's comments were very enlightening to me and explained some items that I did not know (and I am still lusting over his "man cave" pictures he posted in a different thread). RK-Ds Oak Green 992 TTS is absolutely gorgeous. I am tempted to spend for that color. Thanks also to drcollie for his informative details on the nature of the club leather. I will stick with the truffle club leather. I thought about the PCCB brakes but recent threads suggesting that there is brake dust with them and other issues, I decided to stick with the red calipers (and suffer the Christmas colors jokes). I think my build is now set.

dhirm5's criticism expressed in sarcasm that I am not equipping this car from a drive-centric approach is well taken and I deserve that criticism. After all, this is a Porsche, not a Cadillac. But, I am never going to track this car and I probably won't drive it the way it was built to be driven. I expect it will be my Sunday morning escape and for my wife and I to take on trips. That is about it.

At the risk of sounding defensive, I am 58 years old and finally, at last, with the kids out of the house and off the payroll, retirement funds in good shape, living below my means for decades, I finally have the funds to purchase this kind of car at this ridiculously expensive price and with my wife's blessing. So, concerns of foolish whimsical options and purchasing a depreciating asset be damned. We only live once and I am going to buy this toy configured the way I want it and enjoy it.

Here is my build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PNRZHZT1
Old 12-28-2021 | 09:02 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Taxjoc
Working on my build (Targa 4S) for the 478th time and have 7 discreet questions.

1. My exterior color choice is Aventurine Green Metallic. I really like the truffle brown club leather. But there are three problems with this: (a) since I am also ordering the interior trim inlays in paldao and the backrest shells in leather with paldao inlay, it is turning out to be a lot of brown, (b) I am ordering the deviated stitching interior package, and either chalk or pebble just does not seem to offer a lot of contrast, and (c) truffle costs about $1,510 more than some of the other colors. I am considering black leather instead of truffle brown as it cuts down on the brown and the chalk or pebble seems to offer a better contrast and I save $1,510. The configurator shows the backrest shells in paldao with black seats (suggesting to me Porsche thinks black looks best). Is the club leather really that much better? Am I crazy to order black seats in Aventurine Green exterior color? Is there still sufficient contrast between chalk or pebble and truffle?

2. I have found no pictures of the engine compartment cover in titanium grey. Can someone please post a pic? I realize no one will see it until you pop the rear hood open but still looks good to me.

3. I have found no pictures of the upper interior mirror panel in leather. Even the picture on the configurator is poor and you can't see any deviated stitching. Can someone please post a picture of the upper mirror panel in leather with contrast stitching?

4. I found several pictures of the floor mats which appear to be the personalized floor mats with leather edging but I am not sure. Can someone post a picture of the standard floor mats and then perhaps someone can post a pick of the personalized floor mat (maybe someone has it in black with truffle edging)?

5., Is there much of a difference between chalk stitching and pebble stitching. They look very similar to me. Which color is lighter?

6. I have read that the sunvisors in leather have deviated stitching on them but I have not seen a picture of a sunvisor with deviated stitching. Can someone please post a picture?

7. In the "tequipment accessories" you can order all weather floor mats in a variety of colors. If you order these all weather floor mats, are they put in the vehicle by the factory or does the dealer put them in the car?

I will give it a go:

1.) I have a 2022 Jet Black Metallic with Palado and Sport Tex interior - which the surround leather is the Black. I think the Truffle Brown with Palado would look absolutely AWESOME. Specifically with your AG exterior. Below is a pic of my black with Palado - so you can see what that would look like if you choose not to go with the Truffle. Again, I think it would be fantastic!

2.) Skip the titanium engine cover, you will literally never see it (except the 5 seconds when you retract the targa top) - waste of money, and you can add later from suncoast parts if you really really want it. But honestly you will never see it. The normal C4S you can "pop" the engine cover so I guess you could argue if you are showing the fan units (cannot see the engine of course) it might be worth it for some. On the Targas access to the engine/oil/coolant is only accessible when the rear targa unit is being open. Don't waste your money IMO...

3.) Can't help on the mirrors. I opted not to do that on my build, as exposure to the direct sun, I wanted the standard vinyl for durability.

4.) I have the standard mats, did not go with the personalized. You can opt for personalized aftermarket (couple of threads on that) and are much higher quality (different materials you can order, etc.) I would get the standard, and then opt for aftermarket which you can get any option you want (contrast stitching, different lettering, etc. etc.) Pic below of the standard, and a pick from my 992 Coupe with aftermarket with personalized material and stitching)

5.) Chalk and Pebble would be very close, I think with either Truffle or Black go with the the chalk (Chalk would be a little lighter) - but Chalk, Silver and Pebble are all very close. I was going to go silver with my 992 Targa 4S build (went with Silver seatbelts. When I went to my dealer and look at the chalk vs silver stitching (wanted to match my seatbelts and stitching to match) - I could not really tell the difference between Chalk and silver - and as you can see, it looks good with the chalk and silver belts.

6.) Can't help you here, as I did not opt for it for reasons mentioned above.

7.) It comes in the frunk when you order the all weather mats. You can order them from Suncoast parts .com and they are the same price. I ordered mine (for my previous 992 C4S, so had them left over when I got my targa). I ordered them after the case. You can also get them in different colors (I believe in Brown as well). Just go aftermarket on them. You will want to order a few things anyway from Suncoast (Clear front indicators, etc.) so just order those before your car comes in, and you will be ready when it arrives.

Here are some pics to maybe help you...

Here is black leather with Chalk Stitching and Palado trim. Also Standard Floor Mats and the normal vinyl visors

Back of seat with Palado Inlay and full black leather surround

These are the custom floor mats from Lloyd Mats that I had made on my 992 C4S that I had before my Targa 4S

Last edited by Richard_Wallace; 12-28-2021 at 09:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pfelsen (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021 | 09:32 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Wow, it’s hard to believe that’s black leather. Sure looks like Slate Grey to me, especially against the black floor mats. There is a distinct difference between your seat color and your floor mat color. Are you sure the seats are black leather??? I’d love to see the grey in person, but my dealer doesn’t have anything. I keep going back and forth between black and slate grey…. I have another month before my order locks.
Old 12-28-2021 | 09:36 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

I have Oak Green with Truffle interior and Paldao trim, so it's a similar colorway to what you're considering. This combo is a natural fit. The colors are made for each other. Get the Truffle and don't think twice about it.

I was also concerned that Paldao would be too much brown. Not the case. It's a different tone than the leather and the bright silver trim that goes with it brightens the interior.

Not the greatest pic, but you get the idea:

Attachment 1338406

The following 3 users liked this post by rk-d:
AlterZgo (12-28-2021), Freddie Two Bs (12-28-2021), Victor C3 (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021 | 10:51 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Wow, it’s hard to believe that’s black leather. Sure looks like Slate Grey to me, especially against the black floor mats. There is a distinct difference between your seat color and your floor mat color. Are you sure the seats are black leather??? I’d love to see the grey in person, but my dealer doesn’t have anything. I keep going back and forth between black and slate grey…. I have another month before my order locks.
The last pic is from my first 2020 992 C4S with Standard interior. The floor mats were dark back (didn't match) - but the standard interior is denoted as black. However the 2022 Targa 4S with Sport Tex and Black interior is a darker black than the 2020 992 was.
Old 12-28-2021 | 12:46 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
I was also concerned that Paldao would be too much brown.
That's a gorgeous color combo. Also, i strongly feel that there's no such thing as too much brown, except maybe if the exterior is also brown (unlikely with contemporary cars).
Old 12-28-2021 | 12:58 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

As far as question #1: Our C4S cab will be built next month in AG with a black top, Truffle/chalk stitching and Paldao trim and seatbacks. I wish the Truffle were as dark as Espresso, but we felt it was still worth going for as our last 3 P cars had black leather.

2-7 I have nothing to offer. I did not opt for full deviated stitching.

You didn't mention it, but I would avoid trying to match a brown top with the car. I ordered a '13 Boxster S in Mahogany with Espresso natural leather and a brown top. It just didn't work for us. THAT was too much (non-matching) brown.
I also held my nose and ordered the calipers in high gloss black to avoid the red & green look. YMMV (or are you getting PCCBs?).
Old 12-28-2021 | 01:18 PM
SFAVGUY
Rennlist Member

I can't answer most of your questions but I will chime in and say that truffle brown belongs with almost any green that Porsche offers, it just compliments it perfectly IMO.

The following 2 users liked this post by SFAVGUY:
Freddie Two Bs (12-28-2021), tomingrassia (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021 | 01:58 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SFAVGUY
I can't answer most of your questions but I will chime in and say that truffle brown belongs with almost any green that Porsche offers, it just compliments it perfectly IMO.

Nice. Irish Green?
Old 12-28-2021 | 02:53 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

I see you're focused on a drive-centric approach to the build.
Old 12-28-2021 | 02:55 PM
SFAVGUY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Keadog
Nice. Irish Green?
British Racing Green but very close.
Old 12-28-2021 | 03:24 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

I have three 2021 Porsches, one with Truffle Brown, one in Bordeaux/Black and another in Slate Grey Leather. I also happen to be in the leather business (furniture) and the Truffle is a step above the other two leathers in texture, softness and overall fineness of the hide.. Truffle is a semi-aniline leather, the others are finished leathers. That's why Truffle carries a higher cost vs the other leathers.
Old 12-28-2021 | 04:49 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SFAVGUY
British Racing Green but very close.
Ah, thanks.
Old 12-29-2021 | 04:25 AM
-TFK-
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Taxjoc

&

6. I have read that the sun visors in leather have deviated stitching on them but I have not seen a picture of a sun visor with deviated stitching. Can someone please post a picture?
I really want to see them in leather, Am considering adding them for my new build
Old 12-29-2021 | 07:57 AM
Taxjoc
Advanced

Thanks to everyone for their excellent comments and taking the time to provide them. Richard_Wallace's comments were very enlightening to me and explained some items that I did not know (and I am still lusting over his "man cave" pictures he posted in a different thread). RK-Ds Oak Green 992 TTS is absolutely gorgeous. I am tempted to spend for that color. Thanks also to drcollie for his informative details on the nature of the club leather. I will stick with the truffle club leather. I thought about the PCCB brakes but recent threads suggesting that there is brake dust with them and other issues, I decided to stick with the red calipers (and suffer the Christmas colors jokes). I think my build is now set.

dhirm5's criticism expressed in sarcasm that I am not equipping this car from a drive-centric approach is well taken and I deserve that criticism. After all, this is a Porsche, not a Cadillac. But, I am never going to track this car and I probably won't drive it the way it was built to be driven. I expect it will be my Sunday morning escape and for my wife and I to take on trips. That is about it.

At the risk of sounding defensive, I am 58 years old and finally, at last, with the kids out of the house and off the payroll, retirement funds in good shape, living below my means for decades, I finally have the funds to purchase this kind of car at this ridiculously expensive price and with my wife's blessing. So, concerns of foolish whimsical options and purchasing a depreciating asset be damned. We only live once and I am going to buy this toy configured the way I want it and enjoy it.

Here is my build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PNRZHZT1
The following 10 users liked this post by Taxjoc:
-TFK- (12-30-2021), Freddie Two Bs (12-29-2021), Fullyield (12-29-2021), German1967 (12-29-2021), Go Bruins (12-29-2021), GoGooseman (12-30-2021), icanthelpit (12-29-2021), Richard_Wallace (12-29-2021), rouxeny (12-30-2021), txpackers (12-29-2021) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Seven discreet build questions...