992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any other 992 owners tempted to sell?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2021 | 01:48 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

I'll have to be honest. As much as I really like my 2021 C2S . . . . the amount of $$$ that I've been offered . . . . . really does make me stop and think a bit. But then what would I get to replace it? Also, at what cost and wait time in this crazy market?
Old 12-23-2021 | 02:00 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

So after accounting for tax, and then considering the grossly inflated prices for everything else, do you really believe you’re going to make much trading down ? Even BMW prices are out of whack, so it’s not like it won’t depreciate like a snowflake in Arizona whenever the market corrects. Only you’ll be in a crappy car instead of a 911.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
detansinn (12-23-2021), Go Bruins (12-23-2021)
Old 12-23-2021 | 04:23 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bagel
I've had my 992 C2S for almost 2 years now, and while I love it, looking at used prices has me really tempted to sell.

Anyone else in the same boat? My problem is any car I would switch to would be a downgrade. The BMWs look god awful to me these days, and the Benz are all automatic. Same with Audis (I love my manuals).
I am about to sell my 991.2 GTS . You can live vicariously through me.
Old 12-23-2021 | 08:44 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

If I could get my .1 GTS back I'd sell for sure.
Old 12-23-2021 | 09:41 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
I'm jumping out of further BMW loyalty after years of owning them due to the heinous beaver tooth grilles they're putting on their cars. It doesn't help that manual trannies are only available in 2 cars (M3/4). I've got a 650 Gran Coupe that I believe is one of the prettier cars BMW has made in recent years. I'll keep it till it falls apart as it is a great car. I'd never sell a 992 because I want to make money when there are no palpable alternatives at the same price point.
Same. Had them (BMWs) since 1995. Even had a 650 GC (Imola Red). They have lost me as a customer with their exterior and interior gimmicks. I miss the brand but still have my 1M to remind me what awesome cars they used to make when they focused on the driver.
Old 12-23-2021 | 09:55 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

I've had my 992 C2S for almost 2 years now, and while I love it, looking at used prices has me really tempted to sell.

Anyone else in the same boat? My problem is any car I would switch to would be a downgrade. The BMWs look god awful to me these days, and the Benz are all automatic. Same with Audis (I love my manuals).
The way I worked it out is the only way to come out ahead is find a new car that is interesting, and get it at MSRP (I'd add "or lower" but that's just not happening). Easier said than done in this market, especially for "interesting" cars. Personally I don't count because I didn't sell a 992, but I did sell a 991.2, which are also fetching peak values (and very likely helped secure getting a car at MSRP). I landed in a new Audi RS5, which I absolutely adore... but it's only because I'll be standing in line for a 992 GTS for as long as a year! Obviously no plans to sell once I get it but it I'm sure I'd be able to easily flip a profit if I so desired.

Your requirement for a manual makes this 1000x harder though... I don't think there's much for you. I do have one car in mind though I'll get to in a second, it's on the tip of everyone's tongue...

Originally Posted by russbert
Every now and then, that thought (selling 992) jumps into my consciousness like the truth being told by a politician. And then I go out for a drive and suddenly, I **DON'T** remember what the question was anymore.
The problem with these thoughts though is that it's like Inception- once it's entered your mind it keeps gnawing at you. I've done it now with two cars that I told myself would be keepers, once I saw their values rise... not saying everyone's experience will be like mine but the psychology is there.

Originally Posted by doug_999
Same. Had them (BMWs) since 1995. Even had a 650 GC (Imola Red). They have lost me as a customer with their exterior and interior gimmicks. I miss the brand but still have my 1M to remind me what awesome cars they used to make when they focused on the driver.
The 1M is an excellent example. You clearly already have one, which GOOD FOR YOU!!! You could probably sell it for twice what you paid for it, although why the hell would you ever want to?

Thing is, BMW basically still makes it-

IMO, this car is the only one worth considering for anyone who still needs a manual, and wants a great alternative to a 911.

I'd have to think the same rules would apply though; you can't find them new at cost, and you're looking at over $100k used. Still worth considering though, especially for existing BMW fans.
Old 12-23-2021 | 10:03 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manifold danger

Thing is, BMW basically still makes it-

IMO, this car is the only one worth considering for anyone who still needs a manual, and wants a great alternative to a 911.

I'd have to think the same rules would apply though; you can't find them new at cost, and you're looking at over $100k used. Still worth considering though, especially for existing BMW fans.
I think production of the CS ended early 2021
Old 12-23-2021 | 11:07 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

I'd sell my C4 today if I could get a 992 Turbo at MSRP tomorrow.
Old 12-23-2021 | 11:33 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Everything I own in life is for sale at the right price. Then again, I own a retail store so I'm used to selling things. Now, My Price might not be Your Price, but we can discuss that...lol.

Here's my fully loaded 2021 Carrera S Cab with MSRP of $ 159,500. 3,600 miles. Make an offer. I can always find another car to buy...

Old 12-23-2021 | 11:39 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

I just came back from driving that for two days at the BMW Performance Center in Thermal CA. While a fine car in its own right, the M2 Completion is no Porsche 911 (nor was the M1).

I'm reminded of this, when Lloyd Benson famously said in the 1988 VP Debate

“Senator,” he famously drawled. “I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mind. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy.”
Old 12-23-2021 | 12:42 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by doug_999
I think production of the CS ended early 2021
This is actually tragic.

Originally Posted by drcollie

I just came back from driving that for two days at the BMW Performance Center in Thermal CA. While a fine car in its own right, the M2 Completion is no Porsche 911 (nor was the M1).

I'm reminded of this, when Lloyd Benson famously said in the 1988 VP Debate

“Senator,” he famously drawled. “I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mind. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy.”
Understood- it's also 2/3 the price... I think you get 2/3 the car for sure.

It's an "alternative" but I won't argue it's superior, ever.

edit- also worth mentioning, the CS from what I understand has several advantages over the competition. Also much more expensive than the Competition. But the Comptetition can be had for around $60k. Actually one HELL of a bargain IMHO...

Last edited by manifold danger; 12-23-2021 at 12:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SBAD (12-27-2021)
Old 12-23-2021 | 12:46 PM
lucycan
Three Wheelin'

I waited 8 months for my TT. Its a great DD but I'd probably sell it for the right price. Plenty of other cars to drive.
Old 12-23-2021 | 01:02 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

I was tempted a few months ago, but decided against it. Very glad I didn’t sell.
Old 12-23-2021 | 03:28 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Yes, thought about it. For about 5 seconds after someone offered me cash. Then walked away with the keys still in my pocket. Happy I did so.
Old 12-24-2021 | 11:40 PM
Captain Average
Track Day

I pulled the trigger last month; my 992C2S sold in one day for $18k more than I paid.

I sold because of multiple defects and, more importantly, because of Porsche NA's refusal to approve my dealer's request to replace my PCM in order to fix one of the defects.

After three months of no response from Porsche NA customer "service," I called Porsche AG several times, which eventually prompted Porsche NA to return my calls.

After a few more months of dealer visits, Porsche finally replaced the PCM.

This was my sixth new 911 (and the most defect-ridden of the bunch) and Porsche's indifference to a long-term customer left a bad taste.

Porsche is now a large company and made it clear they do not need me.

The following 2 users liked this post by Captain Average:
Schwarz992C4S (12-28-2021), smiles11 (12-24-2021)

Quick Reply: Any other 992 owners tempted to sell?