Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Headliner rattle - anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 06:46 PM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts
Default 992 Headliner rattle - anyone else?

2021 992 with metal sunroof (not that the sunroof has anything to do with it).
Anyone else have that annoying rattle of the headliner toward the rear of the car?

I could hear it right behind my head when I shut the door or if the musics up louder if I go over a bump. It sounds like the headliner is not clipped in or something and it just rattles.

I’m bringing it into the dealership next week but in case they say they can’t do anything about it has anyone done a DIY to fix this?

Very annoying.
Old 12-15-2021, 05:23 PM
brockbr
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 992StormTrooper
Anyone else have that annoying rattle of the headliner toward the rear of the car?

I could hear it right behind my head when I shut the door or if the musics up louder if I go over a bump. It sounds like the headliner is not clipped in or something and it just rattles.

I’m bringing it into the dealership next week but in case they say they can’t do anything about it has anyone done a DIY to fix this?

Very annoying.
Yes - I had a super annoying rattle in the middle rear of the headliner, right where it meats the rear glass.

For the time being, I took a full sheet of paper towel, folded it down to 1/8th, then gentle stuffed it between the headliner and the rear glass. Worked perfectly.

Seems like there is a connection point or push-in retainer missing there.

Edit: To add more context for anyone else - I have a 2021 C2S with a metal sunroof like OP.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:01 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

I have more of a buzz than a rattle, only happens over 60-70mph. The dealer tried to fix it, managed to reduce it to the point where I live with it now. I also have the metal sunroof.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:38 PM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

This is the first winter with the car... Bringing the car on Monday to the dealer to see what they’re going to do about it. My thought was to grab a thin piece of foam and stuff inside - but this is a 140k car... I shouldn’t have to stuff paper towels or foam to stop a rattle. I mean really.
The following users liked this post:
Snapperkid (12-23-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 10:12 PM
brockbr
Rennlist Member

This is the first winter with the car... Bringing the car on Monday to the dealer to see what they’re going to do about it. My thought was to grab a thin piece of foam and stuff inside - but this is a 140k car... I shouldn’t have to stuff paper towels or foam to stop a rattle. I mean really.
I agree with the sentiment that at this price point it shouldn't have a rattle. And that you shouldn't have to fix it with a stuffed paper towel ... but given the level of frustration with it, I wanted to stop it any way I could ... I would've thrown a dead mouse up there to stop it if that's what it took temporarily.
Old 12-17-2021, 11:28 PM
Porsche992
Pro

Received 417 Likes on 156 Posts

Very annoying.
Yes I have it. I only hear it when the sunroof is open though. In rare occasions when the sunroof is closed. Let me know what service says. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2021, 11:30 PM
Porsche992
Pro

Received 417 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by brockbr
I agree with the sentiment that at this price point it shouldn't have a rattle. And that you shouldn't have to fix it with a stuffed paper towel ... but given the level of frustration with it, I wanted to stop it any way I could ... I would've thrown a dead mouse up there to stop it if that's what it took temporarily.
Yeah I have the exact same thing. Didn't stuff a paper towel yet, but now considering haha
Old 03-31-2022, 12:22 PM
westsiderkg
Banned

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

If it helps anyone, pull down gently on the back where the headliner meets the glass. There's 1 small black tab (on my 2022 c4s) that holds the headliner in place. This tab is creating one of my two rattles. I put a couple pieces of duct tape over the black tab. In addition, I rolled up two small microfiber towels and placed those to the left and right of the tab. Seems to eliminate the rattle, but and miles will tell. Here is PA the roads are pretty bad, so I expect more rattles in the future, 3000 miles only at this point. Good luck to all!
Old 03-31-2022, 01:06 PM
brockbr
Rennlist Member

I finally took mine into Porsche to have them fix it. Lo' and behold, they DID fix it!

The headliner should NOT be loose back there - No gap whatsoever.

The SA told me that it had come unclipped and that they fixed it. In hindsight, I'm pretty sure the way it became unclipped is that my car (bought with about 900 miles on it) had tint installed on the rear and side glass. I'm willing to bet the tint installers nudged the headliner off the clip in order to get the film tucked under it and they didn't know how to re-seat it.

I am extremely happy I took mine in - No more gap, and no more rattle. They also did the door panel rattle at the same time - I was absolutely very pleasantly surprised when I went to pick up my car and all the issues were 100% resolved.

Highly recommend taking it in.

Quick Reply: 992 Headliner rattle - anyone else?