Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth paying over sticker for used 992?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 05:44 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 704 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by por356
I would do it, but that's me. I'm up there in years, so my enjoyment time is getting compressed every day. I also keep my cars a long time, so the depreciation is less a factor the longer you keep it. I wouldn't have considered this 2 years ago, but with the scarcity of cars nowadays, and my advanced yrs, I would be tempted. YMMV
What do you consider to be advanced years?
Old 12-20-2021, 06:04 PM
por356
Racer

Received 382 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
What do you consider to be advanced years?
75 😎
Old 12-20-2021, 07:20 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

I was recently offered (by a Porsche dealership) $209,000 for 2021 992 Targa 4S, with MSRP of $182,000. Was delivered 13 months ago, with 5,500 miles.
Old 12-20-2021, 08:55 PM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by dgtarga
I was recently offered (by a Porsche dealership) $209,000 for 2021 992 Targa 4S, with MSRP of $182,000. Was delivered 13 months ago, with 5,500 miles.
That is pretty nuts. That means a sales price of at least $25k over that. A near new 992 is rare. A Targa even rarer. I assume you are not selling?
Old 12-22-2021, 08:18 AM
NastyHabits
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 158 Posts

Not agreeing or disagreeing, simply posting as an FYI. Sidebar, we are noticing a softening of the UC market at wholesale auctions so far this week. Not Porsche specific, mainly domestic trucks and SUV's.

Quotable

We expect the market to anticipate the turnaround in the new-car supply situation ahead of time and begin repricing used cars before new-car lots are full and used-car demand returns to normal.”

– KMPG, commenting on the used vehicle market in a white paper, Automotive News, Dec. 21
Old 12-22-2021, 09:42 AM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 751 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by NastyHabits
Not agreeing or disagreeing, simply posting as an FYI. Sidebar, we are noticing a softening of the UC market at wholesale auctions so far this week. Not Porsche specific, mainly domestic trucks and SUV's.

Quotable

We expect the market to anticipate the turnaround in the new-car supply situation ahead of time and begin repricing used cars before new-car lots are full and used-car demand returns to normal.”

– KMPG, commenting on the used vehicle market in a white paper, Automotive News, Dec. 21

A prolonged softening of the wholesale used market will be a sign that the new car market is returning to normal. Dealers won't be as desperate to get used cars once they know they have significant new inventory incoming to sell.
Old 12-22-2021, 12:34 PM
CashBuyer
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NastyHabits

Quotable

There will always be supporters of "this time it's different" but the market will inevitably revert back to a balance of supply and demand as KPMG states.

If you're short on time, go for it and enjoy it.

If you'd rather maximize your net worth, instead of the dealer's net worth, wait.

Last edited by CashBuyer; 12-22-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:15 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Everyone has a different financial situation and life (health, age, marriage? kids, etc.) - so no one can answer that for you. It's a toy, not a necessity. Toys you use and play with for pleasure. If a particular toy causes you financial stress, then you are playing above your comfort level. Best to drop down a category or two. Would you feel the same about a Mazda Miata where a 20 % drop is about $ 5,000 VS $ 30,000? Probably not - so Comfort Level is important.

There is also a school of thought that says you might not be alive two years from now to worry about that resale price .... and enjoy the moment. Life does weird things to you when you least expect it. I tend to fall into this camp myself after a Stage IV Cancer Diagnosis years ago that looked like it was going to be fatal.

I don't personally think the market is going to fall out in two years, it will be a VERY long time, if ever, when you see large 911 inventories on dealer's lots. It will take an economic tsunami of some kind to alter the current situation.
Yes $$ and value fluctuates and the price is the price whether now or in 24 mos...agree that in 2022 and probably even most of 2023 we' are gonna see the same price and inventory wise will be better but not back to pre-COVID19 where you could walk in and name your price to include discount at the majority of P-car dealers in the US (prior relationship or not with them). But as you note..and any others have...time waits for no man so OP should make the determination what he/she truly values IMHO.

Originally Posted by detansinn
If you want one now, it’s totally worth paying. This year’s market adjustments, ADMs, and prices over sticker will seem quaint as we get into next year.

Supply issues will be with us for a while. Inflation is very much on deck. Even after those problems are resolved, automakers and dealers have gotten very comfortable with this model. This stuff is here to stay.

It is the new normal. It’s not going back to the way things were.
Agree and by the time i likely does...OP would be 24 mos out of more in the wait for a car probably. This what I've taken from most of the analysis and comments I've seen from many avenues.
Originally Posted by crw
You can always get money back, but not time (within reason of course)
. Sometimes the money doesn't come back either..that is variable but the truth of it all is TIME is always the one that will be lost and cannot be purchased back once lost!

Originally Posted by Reata1

Here it is. Just picked it up. $3,000 over sticker. I’m thrilled to have it. My first Porsche!
Congrats...She's a beauty! Enjoy it and $3k over original sticker in this market is probably a good deal but will let others remark who are more knowledgeable.
The following users liked this post:
Go Bruins (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 09:23 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,015 Likes on 578 Posts

markets already started to soften for some cars
like the C8 corvette , you can't sell one these days .
Porsche will soften at a slower pace as they don't have massive production
what will help the used car market is new car price increase which is happening across multiple brands
Old 12-29-2021, 10:25 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,103 Likes on 2,997 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
markets already started to soften for some cars
like the C8 corvette , you can't sell one these days .
Porsche will soften at a slower pace as they don't have massive production
what will help the used car market is new car price increase which is happening across multiple brands
C8 Vette is a circumstance of a supply glut as everyone wants a Z06.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:22 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,139 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
C8 Vette is a circumstance of a supply glut as everyone wants a Z06.
I actually just started to pay attention to the Z06 and was wondering why anyone would ever want a regular-*** C8 now.

But that said- the Z06 won't be available to anyone for half a year. If the market is indeed as strong as we all think, it shouldn't be that hard to still fetch a premium for a C8.

This craziness can't be indefinitely sustainable... and these are the first signs of it turning a corner in several months.

I remain optimistic.

Quick Reply: Is it worth paying over sticker for used 992?