Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fear of being a Luddite

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 07:52 AM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 289 Posts

I have all of the tech add-ons except Remote Park Assist and Night Vision Assist. I have tested the ones I have and they are all good and will use them when appropriate... LCA, LKA, ALK, ACC, PID, surround view, etc,
Old 11-29-2021, 07:54 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
Nannies suck
Agree. Which is why I spec'ed my car with none.

At least Porsche gives you the option not to spend money on these things. Personally, I don't have an issue with those who want them. They don't fundamentally impact the design of the car and no real compromises in performance are made to accommodate them.

I understand the philosophical issue with having all the gizmos, but the 911 has always been a dual purpose car. That is its defining feature. What characterizes a dual purpose car necessarily changes through the years. Porsche has to move with the times.

That said, even if you can spec very lightly on the nannies side, most are still driving a car with PASM, PTV, PADM, PDK with the option of PCCB, PDCC and RAS. The car would probably drive much worse without the alphabet soup of tech. In that context, it seems futile to complain about the corrupting influence of nanny tech. This car is already a supercomputer.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
Scott P (11-29-2021), smiles11 (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 11:14 AM
SamD
Racer

Received 299 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Porsche is an option company that sells cars, not a car company that offers options. More power (and more options) to 'em. Features like auto-parking are just additional software, working in conjunction with camera hardware and screens that are already mandated by law. I guess you have to take a small weight penalty for the side and front cameras, but it's utterly ignorable.
I mostly agree, but you are forgetting there must be motors of some sort to move the steering mechanism (possibly also effecting steering feel?). But a little weight here and a little there eventually add up to a heavier, and likely less desirable, car . . .
Old 11-29-2021, 11:18 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Ugh, some of you folks need to go back to: swing axles, roll up windows, wing windows instead of air conditioning, fuel reserve tank levers with in cockpit fuel filters, window screens for oil filtration, ten foot long mechanical tachometer cables, worm and sector manual steering boxes, clutch cables and six volt electrical systems.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 11-29-2021 at 11:21 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
abarthguy (11-29-2021), aggie57 (11-29-2021), Go Bruins (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 11:29 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by SamD
. But a little weight here and a little there eventually add up to a heavier, and likely less desirable, car . . .
I’ll go out on a limb here (ie, I don’t have to prove this conclusion):

The current 992, despite being the most expensive (normalized) 911, is perhaps, one of the best selling 911’s ever made. I would further speculate that if one were to plot the gross weight of the 911 (on the vertical axis) and years (on the horizontal axis)…you would see that with each generation of 911, the weight has increased. But then, so too has the HP. Over the years, as the weight has grown, the performance metrics (slalom, track, on the street…all of them) for the 911 have progressively gotten better…not worse.

Adding some weight, per se, is not all bad, so long as most of that weight gain is in muscle mass, and not flab. 🤔

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-29-2021 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:37 AM
SBAD
Pro

Received 707 Likes on 278 Posts

Assuming sport driving is the primary purpose of the 911, then any add-on or assist that removes distractions from the driving process (including improvement of the safety envelope during said driving) is fine with me.

Last edited by SBAD; 11-29-2021 at 11:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
suffer (11-30-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 11:47 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by SBAD
Assuming sport driving is the primary purpose of the 911, then any add-on or assist that removes distractions from the driving process (including improvement of the safety envelope during said driving) is fine with me.
^ Same here.

My PID has saved my *** more than once. I enjoy having the added safety features of my 992S, so much, that I now would rather drive my Porsche than my M4….until my PID saved my *** once, I had preferred my M4 to driving in town or on trips.
breny4104 (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 12:10 PM
jnkirk1974
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Do you feel the same way about automatic windows? Or one-touch window feature?
How does this equate to self-parking? That was the original topic.

This thread has gone WAY off course. Again, self-parking. In my opinion, completely unnecessary.
This has nothing to do with safety.

Why would people want the world's most perfect driver's car and find ways to not drive it? Parking a 911 isn't exactly difficult.

If people want to purchase this option, go for it. However, my opinion is that it doesn't need to be offered in the first place.

Last edited by jnkirk1974; 11-29-2021 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:54 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by jnkirk1974

If people want to purchase this option, go for it. However, my opinion is that it doesn't need to be offered in the first place.
….pretty sure is wasn’t an option (self parking) on the 992 until 2022? Mine is a 2021, and don’t remember it as an option, but even if it had been, I prob wouldn’t have selected it. As you stated, not exactly a safety option.

Nevertheless, all car manufacturers are in the business to sell as many cars as the market will allow. If Porsche feels there is consumer demand for certain options, I suspect they will add…regardless of how purists might feel about those options. After all, who should know the most about their customer base, than Porsche themselves?

The option that is missing (and I think those of us that have this on other cars would agree (mine is on my M4)…is the head’s up display. IMO, it’s not only a safety option, but a driver’s option. Keeping your eyes focused on the road, instead of having to look over and down to the PCM screen in the center of the consul, should have been a higher priority for Porsche, IMO. Everytime I see Tesla’s huge control screen in the center of the car…I think, now that’s a poor design, and an accident waiting to happen.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-29-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Tupper (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 01:21 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 289 Posts

This thread has gone WAY off course. Again, self-parking. In my opinion, completely unnecessary.
This has nothing to do with safety.

Why would people want the world's most perfect driver's car and find ways to not drive it? Parking a 911 isn't exactly difficult.

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
….pretty sure is wasn’t an option (self parking) on the 992 until 2022? Mine is a 2021, and don’t remember it as an option, but even if it had been, I prob wouldn’t have selected it. As you stated, not exactly a safety option.

Nevertheless, all car manufacturers are in the business to sell as many cars as the market will allow. If Porsche feels there is consumer demand for certain options, I suspect they will add…regardless of how purists might feel about those options. After all, who should know the most about their customer base, than Porsche themselves?

The option that is missing (and I think those of us that have this on other cars would agree (mine is on my M4)…is the head’s up display. IMO, it’s not only a safety option, but a driver’s option. Keeping your eyes focused on the road, instead of having to look over and down to the PCM screen in the center of the consul, should have been a higher priority for Porsche, IMO. Everytime I see Tesla’s huge control screen in the center of the car…I think, now that’s a poor design, and an accident waiting to happen.
If you DD the car and live in a downtown area where parallel and tight squeezes are the norm, then I can see a benefit to Remote Park Assist. If someone parks and leaves you no space to get in your car, it could be handy to have.
The following 2 users liked this post by breny4104:
drgek (12-01-2021), Go Bruins (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 01:23 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Couldn't agree more. My BMW has heads up display and it's a WONDERFUL option. It enhances the driver experience
Old 11-29-2021, 01:31 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
Couldn't agree more. My BMW has heads up display and it's a WONDERFUL option. It enhances the driver experience
This is where I have an objection.

I really don't like HUD. Very distracting. Normally, I wouldn't care b/c you can turn the things off, but the HUD unit invariably adds a lump on top of the dash which I don't care for.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:38 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,380 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Ugh, some of you folks need to go back to: swing axles, roll up windows, wing windows instead of air conditioning, fuel reserve tank levers with in cockpit fuel filters, window screens for oil filtration, ten foot long mechanical tachometer cables, worm and sector manual steering boxes, clutch cables and six volt electrical systems.
I did

The following 5 users liked this post by smiles11:
icanthelpit (11-29-2021), jnkirk1974 (11-29-2021), kgs365 (11-29-2021), Mark S (11-29-2021), Tupper (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 01:43 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by rk-d
This is where I have an objection.

I really don't like HUD. Very distracting. Normally, I wouldn't care b/c you can turn the things off, but the HUD unit invariably adds a lump on top of the dash which I don't care for.
https://www.scientific-computing.com...-racing-safety

It’s a great driver’s/safety aide….at least all my fellow bimmer buds think so. The bump in my M4 is a non-issue for me, but everybody has things they don’t like.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-29-2021 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:58 PM
DavidColorado
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

The one that strikes me as the most incongruous is Lane Keep Assist. You're driving a 911 and you need assistance staying in your lane?? Time for your kids to take your keys away.
(with all due respect)
The following 2 users liked this post by DavidColorado:
jnkirk1974 (11-29-2021), Noah Fect (11-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Fear of being a Luddite