Sponsored by:

Front Defroster issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 08:49 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,371 Posts

As I mentioned, if you disable the A/C the DEFROSTER is no longer active. In any case I get no air from any vent with or without A/C other than I hear the fan when DEFROST is selected. This is truly weird...

In the meantime my VAS went south so I have to wait until the 7th to get a new one. After that I will try to auto code one module at a time starting with the BCM1 and all modules I modified a variable ... testing after each reset.

All ideas/suggestions welcome!

siberian
Old 11-28-2021, 08:05 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Epilog:

Going through all the different tools on PIWIS all I got was that the defroster was non responsive, it's value implausible, the dilithium converters and inertial dampers were off line etc.

At this point I decided to just auto-code both BCM1 and Kombi (separately of course, let's not be silly about this) modules as the most directly responsible or controlling the air supply; and Houston, we're in business again. We have defrost, air etc.

I've no idea what caused this to go off the rails, but I was futzing around with a lot of mods across modules so something must have triggered a meltdown. Coupled with this, and as HRH Sir Murphy is never far away casting a malevolent eye on my tinkering, he managed to move my leg/foot just enough to rip out the usb cable and sever the connector on my VAS6154 board. Was I in the middle of something when HRH Sir Murphy caused me to twitch? I can't remember as he made sure I didn't notice anything until I no longer had any connection to the car and a limp cable was lying at my feet. Ergo the wait for a new unit from...

Thank you to all who shared their thoughts, please save a few of them as I'll be tinkering some more and may need them. Best from 65 North

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 11-28-2021 at 09:00 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by siberian:
BillyX (11-28-2021), flyfisher (11-28-2021), Noah Fect (11-28-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 09:54 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Glad you got it working again. That's what scares me about getting a PIWIS, or getting too adventurous with my Launch x430. If there is a way to brick the whole car -- and it's safe to say there are dozens of ways -- I will find it. Cue awkward/expensive conversation at dealership, in your case hundreds of miles away.

In every Porsche I've been in, the defrost button overrules every other setting instantly. Doesn't matter what the state of the other HVAC controls might be, when you hit that front defrost button, you can expect some SERIOUS defrost action in a hurry. I've always appreciated that, it's part of what makes a driver's car a driver's car.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:39 PM
rnlst_log
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 110 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by siberian
Epilog:

Going through all the different tools on PIWIS all I got was that the defroster was non responsive, it's value implausible, the dilithium converters and inertial dampers were off line etc.

At this point I decided to just auto-code both BCM1 and Kombi (separately of course, let's not be silly about this) modules as the most directly responsible or controlling the air supply; and Houston, we're in business again. We have defrost, air etc.

I've no idea what caused this to go off the rails, but I was futzing around with a lot of mods across modules so something must have triggered a meltdown. Coupled with this, and as HRH Sir Murphy is never far away casting a malevolent eye on my tinkering, he managed to move my leg/foot just enough to rip out the usb cable and sever the connector on my VAS6154 board. Was I in the middle of something when HRH Sir Murphy caused me to twitch? I can't remember as he made sure I didn't notice anything until I no longer had any connection to the car and a limp cable was lying at my feet. Ergo the wait for a new unit from...

Thank you to all who shared their thoughts, please save a few of them as I'll be tinkering some more and may need them. Best from 65 North

siberian
I believe HRH was wearing black suite darkest sunglass and carry a mem-eraser flasher stick , standing near front hood of NLRC.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:14 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

He definitely was, but the Force was strong.

@Noah Fect yes indeed you need to be careful but unless you truly go out of your way to reprogram something using WiFi and your link drops or you get a cheap VAS that screws up your data you should be able to get back to your original state via selection of all or whatever module you believe is suspect and perform an auto-code under Coding/Programming. As always, record your before and after so you know what you changed etc.

Being so far from a dealer I need to be able to work on the cars I own, the day I can't, I'll call an Uber. Thanks for the atta-boy

siberian

Quick Reply: Front Defroster issue