Sponsored by:

992 Base Carrera Test Drive Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 06:45 PM
R N M
Racer

Received 245 Likes on 109 Posts
Default 992 Base Carrera Test Drive Impressions

Currently have 991 T with RAS, PDK, Sport PASM and Sport Chrono etc. The car was getting serviced so I had some time to test out 992. Unfortunately no S was available, so I had to settle for the base car.

The car I drove was PDK, Sport Exhaust, Sport Chrono and base suspension.

The Good:
- Capabilities of this car are just amazing for a base 911. I really don’t think you need anything more than a base car if you’re just driving on the street. I have driven base 991.2 without Sport PASM and the 992 chassis is much more composed. I was truly surprised that it felt as sporty as my T which has additional sporty bits.
- Steering is so direct and has almost perfect weight to it, car stays flat and stable at high speeds, feels more tossable than 991. Provides tons of confidence in the turns.
- The exhaust sound is much louder than my T which was a pleasant surprise. It sounds really good and you get ton of noise in the cabin with windows closed.
- The ride and visibility are excellent as usual.

The bad:
- PDK gear lever is honestly comical and I really hate it.
- I prefer the interior styling and layout of 991.2 with analog gauges, bright metal trim, cupholder placement, and no shiny black plastic in center trim.
- Rev limiter?! This is really unnecessary. Now I can’t **** off my neighbors or annoy my wife.

BTW i placed deposit for GTS since my GT3 chances are not looking too good.

Last edited by R N M; 11-21-2021 at 06:48 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by R N M:
AlterZgo (11-21-2021), kgs365 (11-21-2021), Scott P (11-21-2021), Tompoodie (12-06-2021), westcoastj (11-22-2021), Wilsontour (11-21-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

11-24-2021, 05:19 AM
politeperson
Racer

Received 475 Likes on 145 Posts

For me, I drive the C2 on the public highway everyday. It is fantasic

I was not that surprised when Matt Watson found there wasn't a huge amount of performance difference between the C2 and the GT3! The GT3 is a bit quicker on the strip as you would expect. I would love one if money and practicality were no object.

In fact I love all the 992 models.

When you are accelerating hard through the rev range it is nothing to do with 375 bhp vs 500 hp. That power all occurs at the top end of the range.

Its all about torque at the lower mid range that gives you the shove in the back. The C2 is excellent in this respect.

The draggy app on my phone has always been pretty accurate. I tells me my C2 does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds without sports chrono. Just like the one in the Watson film

That is pretty flipping quick, it certainly feels as quick as anything else I have driven including a Portofino.

I have standard "small " wheels. In reality they are massive. The ride is certainly on the firm side as it is.

I would definitely not want to increase the firmness by increasing the spring rates, dropping the ride height or increasing the rim diameter.

I would also not want to increase the tyre width, as the roar from the rear wheels at speed is loud enough. Phone calls on hands free are difficult in the 992.

I have driven a 992 on the track. I find it difficult to see how you could get to 50% of the cars cornering ability on the road, unless you were being chased by a Tyrannosaurus like the one in Jurassic Park.

As for the standard steel brakes, they are incredible.

OK, if you are track focused, spend the extra. It will make a difference. I bet driver ability is the overriding factor in lap times though. Otherwise-to me-it is just about bragging rights.

The biggest difference between the C2 and the GT3 is £40,000 when driven on the road. I dont sit there and rev the engine at the lights, I think the standard exhaust sounds fantastic.

I can do alot with £40,000. So I am more than please with my C2.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:26 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Pretty much agree with you on all counts when I test drove a base 992 and now after having my 992 S for almost 5 mos. The lack of bright trim was a huge let down for me as it made the entire interior look so monotone and drab. I ended up paying $2K for the carbon fiber trim, not because I wanted carbon fiber but because it came w/ silver trim. The rev limiter when car stopped is totally lame... even worse b/c I have a manual. manuals should be fully manual, i.e. you can do whatever you want including blowing up the engine and money shifting (can still money shift but won't let you rev at idle above 3.5K? seriously weak).

Aside from those few nitpicks, the car is pretty amazing to drive. The stock PASM has probably the best balance of sporty handling and comfort I've experienced in any sports car. The grip levels are off the charts and steering is outstanding for electronic steering. Though I have to disagree on the exhaust which, to my ears, is super quiet and that's w/ PSE in sport mode and 3000 miles. Hoping exhaust keeps breaking in and wakes up some time soon. Congrats on the GTS!
The following users liked this post:
westcoastj (11-22-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 08:25 PM
jayson
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by R N M
Currently have 991 T with RAS, PDK, Sport PASM and Sport Chrono etc. The car was getting serviced so I had some time to test out 992. Unfortunately no S was available, so I had to settle for the base car.

The Good:
- Capabilities of this car are just amazing for a base 911. I really don’t think you need anything more than a base car if you’re just driving on the street. I have driven base 991.2 without Sport PASM and the 992 chassis is much more composed. I was truly surprised that it felt as sporty as my T which has additional sporty bits.
- Steering is so direct and has almost perfect weight to it, car stays flat and stable at high speeds, feels more tossable than 991. Provides tons of confidence in the turns.
- The exhaust sound is much louder than my T which was a pleasant surprise. It sounds really good and you get ton of noise in the cabin with windows closed.

The bad:
- I prefer the interior styling and layout of 991.2 with analog gauges, bright metal trim, cupholder placement, and no shiny black plastic in center trim.
- Rev limiter?! This is really unnecessary. Now I can’t **** off my neighbors or annoy my wife.

I've been feeling the GTS itch as well (current car 2019 Carrera T w/ Buckets). I'd spec it as an aerokit car. That said, it seems difficult to get anything right now without ADM's or massive wait times.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:35 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,098 Likes on 2,995 Posts

When you hop out of a 991.2 into a 992, it’s remarkable that the differences are so pronounced. Each new 911 generation has been an improvement on its predecessor.

Yes, the 992 sounds significantly better than the 991.2. There would have been a lot less complaining about the 991.2 Carrera going to turbochargers if it sounded like the 992 from the get go.

Good luck on the GTS. You have chosen well.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:43 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

The 992 manages to combine both modern tech and the horizontal design theme of the pre-996 era cars so well. There is far more in common in overall design of the dash between a 993 and a 992 than there is between a 997/991 and 992, intentionally so.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:39 AM
P9RSR
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Any way to remove the rev limiter?
Old 11-22-2021, 02:43 AM
P9RSR
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

The Good:

The bad:

answering myself with a search

Originally Posted by Urian-Z
Hey thereI own a 992 C4S, and I’m not sure, but you should try putting the car in D and holding both paddle shifters. This is a pretty strange trick, if you want to see how this works, watch some Mat Watson (CarWow) videos about Porsche, that’s were I learned.Good luck mate
Originally Posted by wannarun
you are correct. The 3500 rpm limiter is gone if you put the car in neutral via both paddle method.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:08 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,138 Likes on 641 Posts

Am I the only one that kind of likes the electric razor shift lever? I admittedly don't have much seat time in a 992 and I didn't like it at first but after driving one it grew on me. Can't put my finger on it but I definitely don't hate it anymore.

There's a $750 option (retrofit-able for what looks like $1400-ish for the parts from Suncoast) for an "aluminum" PDK shift lever. I actually prefer the stock one for the overall aesthetic with the other buttons but this looks very cool as well.

Last edited by manifold danger; 11-22-2021 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:18 AM
mksz51
Pro

Received 742 Likes on 284 Posts

It's a shifter. It works. That's about the depth of my concern / thoughts over the 992 PDK shifter.
The following 4 users liked this post by mksz51:
dashanin (11-22-2021), Duct Tape (11-09-2022), Glerald (11-22-2021), timjab (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 11:15 AM
R N M
Racer

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Though I have to disagree on the exhaust which, to my ears, is super quiet and that's w/ PSE in sport mode and 3000 miles. Hoping exhaust keeps breaking in and wakes up some time soon. Congrats on the GTS!
At least compared to my 991 T and other 991.2s i have driven with PSE, the 992 sounds louder and lets in more sound inside. It’s something that stood out to me immediately and I mentioned it to SA. It could be louder for sure but for stock I thought it sounded satisfactory.

Originally Posted by jayson
I've been feeling the GTS itch as well (current car 2019 Carrera T w/ Buckets). I'd spec it as an aerokit car. That said, it seems difficult to get anything right now without ADM's or massive wait times.
My build has buckets and aerokit and then I added back all options that come in Lightweight package. The only issue is buckets are gloss CF but only matte CF is offered for dash/door trim. Also wish GTS offered silver option for center locks.
I was told that I’m #10 in line which would put me for allocation in Q4 2022 but might be sooner as other folks in front have order for Targa and C4GTS. Depends what type of allocations are given to dealer.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:27 AM
R N M
Racer

Originally Posted by aggie57
The 992 manages to combine both modern tech and the horizontal design theme of the pre-996 era cars so well. There is far more in common in overall design of the dash between a 993 and a 992 than there is between a 997/991 and 992, intentionally so.
That maybe true but it still doesn’t solve that 991 layout was better and more user friendly. I personally feel the horizontal design is better for an SUV.
The materials and trim on the 991 also seem to be of higher quality. Just the feel of the buttons on the door and for seat adjustments is a huge letdown vs my T. The cupholder position on 992 is atrocious. The piano black trim on center console is another poor material/design feature. I think some of this will be fixed on the 992.2 cars.

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Am I the only one that kind of likes the electric razor shift lever? I admittedly don't have much seat time in a 992 and I didn't like it at first but after driving one it grew on me. Can't put my finger on it but I definitely don't hate it anymore.

There's a $750 option (retrofit-able for what looks like $1400-ish for the parts from Suncoast) for an "aluminum" PDK shift lever. I actually prefer the stock one for the overall aesthetic with the other buttons but this looks very cool as well.
I basically had to gently use 2 fingers to use this thing. It just doesn’t fit the sports car purpose. The PDK shifter in 991 is perfect size and design. In traffic i rest my hand on it, it just works and looks much better.
I wonder if there is a way to retrofit GT3 shifter into regular 992?!
Old 11-22-2021, 02:21 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

That maybe true but it still doesn’t solve that 991 layout was better and more user friendly. I personally feel the horizontal design is better for an SUV.
The materials and trim on the 991 also seem to be of higher quality. Just the feel of the buttons on the door and for seat adjustments is a huge letdown vs my T. The cupholder position on 992 is atrocious. The piano black trim on center console is another poor material/design feature. I think some of this will be fixed on the 992.2 cars.
I think this is a 'agree to disagree' area. Live with the 992 for a while and it all makes sense, controls fall naturally to hand and even that piano black becomes a non-issue. For some reason it doesn't show dust and finger prints as much as other cars we have. For the cupholder, agree the one in the console is pretty useless - I use the passenger side one when I'm on my own or for bottles etc. there's also one in each door.
timjab (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 02:57 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,199 Likes on 1,373 Posts

I still say Porsche ought to put the PDK lever from the new 718 GT4 in to the 911 as at least it looks like a shift lever and not some emasculated little **** for crying out loud.

Last edited by Scott P; 11-22-2021 at 02:58 PM.
dhirm5 (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 03:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

The base is great, until you drive the S.

Again, nothing wrong with the base and it is, in fact, great, but it's all relative.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:13 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The base is great, until you drive the S.

Again, nothing wrong with the base and it is, in fact, great, but it's all relative.
And the S is great until you drive the GTS, which is great until you drive the Turbo, which is great until your drive the Turbo S . . There was an old lady who swallowed a fly!

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly - Lyrics
There was an old lady who swallowed a fly
I don't know why she swallowed a fly - perhaps she'll die!

There was an old lady who swallowed a spider
That wriggled and wiggled and tiggled inside her.
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly
I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die!

There was an old lady who swallowed a bird
How absurd to swallow a bird.
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider

There was an old lady who swallowed a cat
Fancy that to swallow a cat!
She swallowed the cat to catch the bird

There was an old lady that swallowed a dog
What a hog, to swallow a dog.
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat

There was an old lady who swallowed a cow
I don't know how she swallowed a cow.
She swallowed the cow to catch the dog
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat

There was an old lady who swallowed a horse...
She's dead - of course!
The following 6 users liked this post by Drew46:
Epeeist (11-27-2021), MARUJITO (11-23-2021), MassMPG (11-26-2021), s_earl1 (01-24-2022), Vista6019 (11-22-2021), westcoastj (11-22-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: 992 Base Carrera Test Drive Impressions