Sponsored by:

GTS v GT3 v S mega test

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 01:30 AM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 511 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I have an S with PASM Sport, but I did not realize it had a different spoiler lip up front. Hmm.
yea pretty sure that C2S has the whole Sport package optioned which would give it all those options
Old 11-09-2021, 02:48 AM
hawkinsmc
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
That weight increase may very well explain the reason for the 7:25 time which is essentially slower than the 991.2 GTS.

That is the magic I was getting at. Removed sound deadening will help the exhaust tone within the cabin; but it will be at the expense of more road noise & tire roar. Not necessarily a bad trade off; but a US spec S with PSE sounds pretty good imo.
Weight would not explain that time diff, If that were the case the 992s would show similar results compared to the 991.2s, but is doesn't. Testing "apples to apples" on the same 20.6km track the 992s is 4 sec faster than the 991.2s.
The more I look into it the more I am convinced the time diff of the 991.2 v 992 GTS is a result of 2 things:
1. New timing standard of 20.8km vs old 20.6km which looks like accounts for about 4 sec in the GT3 and GT4 most recent times, that would mean the 20.6km time for the 992 would be closer to 7:21
2. Tires, Corsa (991.2) vs P Zero (992) would easily account for several seconds. Other tests comparing Pilot sport 4s to Cup 2 show that the Cup 2 is up to 1 sec faster on a 1 min lap. So it is very likely that running Corsa or Cup 2s the 992 GTS could be significantly faster than the 991.2 GTS running Corsas, confirming Lars's comment that with some focused effort, tweaking and diff tires could yield a time in the 7:10s. But we may never know.
Although one thing we can be pretty confident of is Porsche would not build a new GTS that is slower on their "home test track" with their own test driver. They would tweak and test and tweak until they got a better time than the previous model.
Old 11-09-2021, 09:31 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,266 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I asked for a link that shows production numbers?
cody, I know this is hard to believe on the internet but I own the store so that's the deal. on the GT3 thread I did not have to give numbers because someone else did, and frankly I'm told not to reveal stuff (such as specs on upcoming sport classic ). when I give commentary it's grain of salt for the new guys.

porsche evenly distributes model variants across all stores based on their sales of that mode type represented as Share of Nation.

so if a store sell 1% of all 911's in the snapshot period, then they get 1% of all 911's produced for that next allocation period. porsche AG determined what % of 911's fall into Turbo, S/ GTS etc as they have supplier capacity issues on some parts (like 2016 when carbon buckets seats were un-orderable for 120 days) and certain models that are more complicated like the Targa.

in this case as someone else inferred after they linked my prior post on GT3 forum, due to GTS being a new mode variant and the chip shortage, we are noticing that porsche is making a good amount of the "higher margin" aka GTS/ Turbo/ GT3 911's vs the lower margin base/2s/4s. my store's recent allocation was over a dozen big ticket cars (GTS, Turbo, GT3) and zero base coupes, zero s coupes/cabs, zero 4S coupes/cabs. can't divide by zero but if you extrapolate those, then stores that sell 3x the 911's we do might be getting a single S, a single 4S etc.

there are roughly the same amount of chips used in a base 911 vs a GTS so PAG make the ones that help them and dealers the most- the high margin cars.

here is my podcast where I break it down:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000540000750

you can skip towards the last 30 mins or so as I explain the chip shortage and how it is being tested/ adapted to by various manufacturers that I sell as a dealer.
The following 8 users liked this post by C.J. Ichiban:
-eztrader- (11-09-2021), 911therapy (11-09-2021), chong0 (11-09-2021), dhirm5 (11-09-2021), shrimp money (11-09-2021), slwong23 (11-09-2021), sunnyr (11-10-2021), surquhar (11-09-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-09-2021, 10:00 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
cody, I know this is hard to believe on the internet but I own the store so that's the deal. on the GT3 thread I did not have to give numbers because someone else did, and frankly I'm told not to reveal stuff (such as specs on upcoming sport classic ). when I give commentary it's grain of salt for the new guys.

porsche evenly distributes model variants across all stores based on their sales of that mode type represented as Share of Nation.

so if a store sell 1% of all 911's in the snapshot period, then they get 1% of all 911's produced for that next allocation period. porsche AG determined what % of 911's fall into Turbo, S/ GTS etc as they have supplier capacity issues on some parts (like 2016 when carbon buckets seats were un-orderable for 120 days) and certain models that are more complicated like the Targa.

in this case as someone else inferred after they linked my prior post on GT3 forum, due to GTS being a new mode variant and the chip shortage, we are noticing that porsche is making a good amount of the "higher margin" aka GTS/ Turbo/ GT3 911's vs the lower margin base/2s/4s. my store's recent allocation was over a dozen big ticket cars (GTS, Turbo, GT3) and zero base coupes, zero s coupes/cabs, zero 4S coupes/cabs. can't divide by zero but if you extrapolate those, then stores that sell 3x the 911's we do might be getting a single S, a single 4S etc.

there are roughly the same amount of chips used in a base 911 vs a GTS so PAG make the ones that help them and dealers the most- the high margin cars.

here is my podcast where I break it down:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000540000750

you can skip towards the last 30 mins or so as I explain the chip shortage and how it is being tested/ adapted to by various manufacturers that I sell as a dealer.
So what is the name of the “store” you claim to own? Porsche of Fresno? In the Central Valley? 🤔

FYI - Your “recent allocation” is 100% antithetical to what I was told from two different SA’s at my local dealership. So, we have that data point as well. But I realize each dealership is different, and gets different allocations….nevertheless, your experiences, or my local dealerships experiences do NOT necessarily represent the norm for Porsche of North America. Sorry, but anybody can claim whatever they want on the Internet, and without actual Porsche released data (which is what I originally asked for), as proof, I don’t believe your “take”. Look at Nick Murray’s recent YouTube rant. Fact, or fiction? Who knows…just his babble?

But let me be clear - I don’t have a dog in this fight. I have my car. I am happy with my car. I’m just trying to wade through the smoke to get at the truth….whatever that might be? Finally, I get that Porsche might be playing with production allocations, during this chip shortage, to deliver on higher profit margin car. But if they are playing this game, that will anger non GTS customers in the process, and that business model might eventually come back to bite them? But I don;’t expect the chip shortages to last more than the 1Q of 22, and historically, the data shows fewer 911 GTS cars are sold than the base and S 911’s…so there’s that.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-09-2021 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:17 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

So what is the name of the “store” you claim to own? Porsche of Fresno? In the Central Valley? 🤔
Not wading into this one, but just for reference - CJ is legit.
The following users liked this post:
dhirm5 (11-09-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 10:27 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,266 Likes on 611 Posts

google it cody. you'll find GT3RS content, GT4 CS content and some 919 content. and, check my post count, look me up. do your own research. you can even email me through my dealership website!

your SA is not privy to confidential product information, that's for GM and owner only- including exact production number projection.
The following users liked this post:
User 81423 (12-24-2022)
Old 11-09-2021, 10:34 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by rk-d
Not wading into this one, but just for reference - CJ is legit.
By “legit” you mean he is the owner?

I noticed a link to Porsche of Fresno? Not Miami, or NYC or LA. But Fresno. OK.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-09-2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:36 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
google it cody. you'll find GT3RS content, GT4 CS content and some 919 content. and, check my post count, look me up. do your own research. you can even email me through my dealership website!

your SA is not privy to confidential product information, that's for GM and owner only- including exact production number projection.

But these SA’s do know what comes in every month from the Port of Baltimore. They can see with their own eyes what’s being delivered. Not rocket science. Not to mention, they do know what their customers have ordered and waiting on…and here’s a concept, they talk amongst themselves. Pretty small group.

Oh, and I wouldn’t be so sure that the SA’s at my dealership aren’t privy to “production data”. I only mention that because in the past, when waiting for the delivery of my car, my SA did tell me the production data from several months.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-09-2021 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:48 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

By “legit” you mean he is the owner?

I noticed a link to Porsche of Fresno? Not Miami, or NYC or LA. But Fresno. OK.
Yes
Old 11-09-2021, 10:53 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,393 Likes on 1,484 Posts

CJ wastes no time displaying his arrogance. Shocker.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:59 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Yes

Just curious - You’ve met him, or bought from one his Fresno dealership? But even so, I will trust what two of my local SA’s have seen with their own eyes this past Summer and fall.

Bit surprised that any dealership owner would be playing on here? When I owned a company, I had zero time for anything else….guess things aren’t that busy at his dealership? 😎

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-09-2021 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:12 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Just curious - You’ve met him, or bought from one his Fresno dealership? But even so, I will trust what two of my local SA’s have seen with their own eyes this past Summer and fall.

Bit surprised that any dealership owner would be playing on here? When I owned a company, I had zero time for anything else….guess things aren’t that busy at his dealership? 😎
Nope. But he owns multiple dealerships including a Porsche dealership (no small feat getting one, regardless of location).

I have no dog in this hunt - just confirming he is an owner.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:16 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Nope. But he owns multiple dealerships including a Porsche dealership (no small feat getting one, regardless of location).

I have no dog in this hunt - just confirming he is an owner.
Thanks. Next time I’m in SD, maybe I’ll drive up and drop in …?
Old 11-09-2021, 11:17 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

This is not comforting news: https://www.consumerreports.org/buyi...s-a8160576456/

But maybe the American consumer will get some answers as to what’s going on: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...manufacturing/

If “chip hoarding” is at play here, then there should be some serious fines that are levied. The Porsche example is a good illustration of how shortages and delays have lead to higher demand, resulting in dealerships passing along jacked up premium prices…resulting in increased corporate profits. If the sales and production numbers are (essentially) the same as in previous years, but demand has gone up allowing dealerships to ask more, then in the end, HQ benefits.

Even if a dealership doesn’t ask more than MSRP, the days of discounts between 5%-10%, at most dealerships, seem to be gone. Just re-coupling some of that discount, is serious money for the Fatherland and local dealerships.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-09-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:33 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,774 Likes on 5,139 Posts

I did meet CJ

When he was pitching for the Angels.

Quick Reply: GTS v GT3 v S mega test