Sponsored by:

GTS v GT3 v S mega test

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 10:07 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,409 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
Two things he doesn't address in the video.

1. Is the C2S equipped with PSE and does the PSE sound different (for any reason other than the lack of sound deadening material).
2. Does the C2S have PASM Sport and how does a GTS compare to a C2S with PASM Sport.

Maybe I'm one of the ones, but I just don't see the value in the GTS compared to a C2S, given the options restrictions.
Given the GPF fitted on cars outside the US. It’s safe to say Porsche has worked a little magic in counteracting the muffled sound for the GTS. I highly doubt there will be any significant improvement in sound on US spec cars.

In regards to sport PASM. He did not even want to activate sport suspension. He made no mention of having that issue in his C2S review. Which leads me to believe the GTS suspension has stiffer springs.

It just seems odd that Porsche would produce a stiffer car for the sake of Motorsport theatre with no improvement on the track.

Originally Posted by aggie57
thats true but we’re in a different market now, Porsche like most manufacturers is juggling component supplies in ways they haven’t had to in decades.
Porsche will be forced to prioritize where they allot their chips. So the higher trims (GTS, TTS, GT3) will get priority.

Originally Posted by shrimp money
I wouldn’t take CJ’s word for anything. He’s going to upsell as many allocations as he is allotted since he is the Porsche Fresno GM. Given my past dealings with him; he does not have anyones best interest in mind other than his own agendas. I highly recommend avoiding that dealer at all costs.

Last edited by smiles11; 11-08-2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:15 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
Given the GPF fitted on cars outside the US. It’s safe to say Porsche has worked a little magic in counteracting the muffled sounds for the GTS. I highly doubt there will be any significant improvement in sound on US spec cars.
In an article from either C&D or Road & Track (I forget which), they mention Porsche actually “removed sound deadening material” in the 2022 GTS…in an effort to try and keep the weight down (already 50 lbs over the S).

One interesting tidbit I read in the same article, if you option for the “weight reduction” package, you get the Li battery (which is lighter than the standard battery). I have the Li batter in my S, but know some people have complained about it’s much higher replacement cost (when that time comes).
Old 11-08-2021, 10:25 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by aggie57
It'll be interesting to see how many S actually get built/delivered over the next few months. Reading comments here, always dangerous I know, it sounds like there are more GTS allocations coming through than S. Although that may just be because GTS is flavour of the month.

Very true.

If the casual observer were to follow the posts over a period of a month, or so, that person would be left with the impression that the 992 is NOT a very reliable car.

As we have learned, trusting what you read on the Internet, without corroborating data/information, can often lead you down the wrong path.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-08-2021 at 10:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (11-08-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 10:45 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
In an article from either C&D or Road & Track (I forget which), they mention Porsche actually “removed sound deadening material” in the 2022 GTS…in an effort to try and keep the weight down (already 50 lbs over the S).
That weight increase may very well explain the reason for the 7:25 time which is essentially slower than the 991.2 GTS.

That is the magic I was getting at. Removed sound deadening will help the exhaust tone within the cabin; but it will be at the expense of more road noise & tire roar. Not necessarily a bad trade off; but a US spec S with PSE sounds pretty good imo.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:53 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

That weight increase may very well explain the reason for the 7:25 time which is essentially slower than the 991.2 GTS.

That is the magic I was getting at. Removed sound deadening will help the exhaust tone within the cabin; but it will be at the expense of more road noise & tire roar. Not necessarily a bad trade off; but a US spec S with PSE sounds pretty good imo.
What I find most amusing is - one would think as you go UP in the porsche line of 911’s, say from the S to the GTS, the weight would drop? Nope. But even more amusing is Porsche’s answer….they will charge you thousands of dollars to reduce the weight, to bring if back in line with the S, if you select the weight reduction option. WTF?Hahahaha.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:09 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
What I find most amusing is - one would think as you go UP in the porsche line of 911’s, say from the S to the GTS, the weight would drop? Nope. But even more amusing is Porsche’s answer….they will charge you thousands of dollars to reduce the weight, to bring if back in line with the S, if you select the weight reduction option. WTF?Hahahaha.
I’d also assume the Nurburgring lap was conducted with a GTS equipped with the light weight package. Upgraded suspension, power, brakes… which did not translate to any improvement. Go figure.

Last edited by smiles11; 11-08-2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:18 AM
KO7
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redwolfgts
im beginning to think the gts might not be for me,who cares about lap times if its as stiff as a board and not able to be a proper grand turismo car where you can do 3/400 mile at a time without needing surgery after.
porsche had the first test drives of the gts with journalists on super smooth roads,now that is the first road test on normal roads, and the suspension settings look why too stiff for a road car.
as 3rd pedal says maybe the normal pasm might make the gts more usable
Yet another reason why the Targa GTS is my dream car, with its “standard” suspension setup, but with added power and a little more specialness over the 4S.
Swayze (11-10-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 11:22 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

I’d also assume the Nurburgring lap was conducted with a GTS equipped with the light weight package. Improved TT suspension, power, brakes… which did not translate to any improvement. Go figure.
Yes, probably.

Tire differences.

A buddy of mine who tracks every weekend…I mean literally, every weekend (he is a member at a track - like a golf country club thing - so he can schedule to use it whenever he wants, pretty sweet)….he has two Porsche’s, neither of which are street legal….but he claims the biggest improvements in lap times that he noticed was when he switched from street tires, to slicks. He said there is no comparison.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:43 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by KO7
Yet another reason why the Targa GTS is my dream car, with its “standard” suspension setup, but with added power and a little more specialness over the 4S.
Everybody has their reasons for why they choose X over Y…and that’s cool.

My rationale was: I can buy the S, for about $15K less money than similarly optioned GTS, and when I am ready, do a software flash to increase HP a more meaningful 100HP. Less than $2500 to do that mod. You won’t notice a 30HP bump. Since I mainly drive on the street, having a stiffer suspension does not interest me. I will track, but at most, a few times during the Summer…and at my beginner skill level, really not going to notice a difference. Finally, when I did consider the GTS, I was disappointed to learn that it was about 50lbs heavier (if you are a serious tracker, weight does matter) than the S, and, no, I’m not going to pay Porsche a load of money to lighten the car by removing such things as sound deadening material…for street driving, on rough roads, the cars are already loud enough. Personally, I might have given the GTS more consideration if either the exterior or interior looked different from the S, As it is, without the badge, the GTS looks exactly like my S. At least change up the diffuser, or do a minor cosmetic facelift to make it stand out a bit?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-08-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:45 AM
redwolfgts
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KO7
im thinking on the coupe version i will have to tick the pasm box to get normal more usable spring rates.
the helper spring thing being sold as a positive will be to stop the gts uprated spring from comming out of its seat when it hits a bump,
fine on my racecar but not really needed on a road car.
anyone have the details of spring rate differences between the 992 models

Last edited by redwolfgts; 11-08-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:49 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,360 Likes on 634 Posts

The guy keeps babbling that "the GTS has the turbo chassis", well that is flatly false. The turbo chassis has a wider body by 48mm with a wider rear track by 43mm. What the GTS does have is some carry over features originally developed for the turbo. Even the TT-S look wheels are different for the GTS, with different widths and offsets compared to the turbo.

As for the helper springs, they are a by-product of the suspension design and don't contribute to the stiffer ride by themselves. What makes the ride stiffer, is the installation of shorter and stiffer springs. Helper springs are needed when fitting shorter and stiffer springs to prevent the main springs of being completely unladden when the suspension is fully extended.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 11-08-2021 at 04:01 PM.
rk-d (11-08-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 04:03 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
The guy keeps mentioning that "the GTS has the turbo chassis", well that is flatly false. The turbo chassis has a wider body with a wider rear track by 43mm. What the GTS does have is some carry over features originally developed for the turbo. Even the TT-S look wheels are different for the GTS, with different widths and offsets compared to the turbo.

As for the helper springs, they are a by-product of the suspension design and don't contribute to the stiffer ride by themselves. What makes the ride stiffer, is the installation of shorter and stiffer springs. Helper springs are needed when fitting shorter and stiffer springs to prevent the main springs of being completely unladden when the suspension is fully extended.
Paraphrasing…”The GTS has a completely different chassis. It has a Turbo chassis, while [this] has a regular Carrera chassis”

🙄

This is how misinformation happens. Data is misinterpreted, repeated by rote (because these guys are always intellectually lazy) and then exaggerated for effect (for the clicks). Before you know it, the GTS is now a NA version of the TT/S.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
aggie57 (11-08-2021), CanAutM3 (11-08-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 05:41 PM
DrewTJ50
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
The guy keeps babbling that "the GTS has the turbo chassis", well that is flatly false. The turbo chassis has a wider body by 48mm with a wider rear track by 43mm. What the GTS does have is some carry over features originally developed for the turbo. Even the TT-S look wheels are different for the GTS, with different widths and offsets compared to the turbo.

I found his usage of the term chassis problematic as well.

Your explanation of the suspension difference is super helpful. Thanks!
CanAutM3 (11-08-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 06:02 PM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 511 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
Even then I'm not sure. GTS has 'special' interior but unless you want the buckets and pay for them, to me it's a mixed bag (I guess you can get red stitching without optioning it...). GTS seriously lacks in wheel options unless you like the center locks. HP bump is available in a tune and beyond. So then it is some chassis, brakes, and possibly suspension refinements. As well as a louder cabin. Not sure why that is good.

Two things he doesn't address in the video.

1. Is the C2S equipped with PSE and does the PSE sound different (for any reason other than the lack of sound deadening material).
2. Does the C2S have PASM Sport and how does a GTS compare to a C2S with PASM Sport.

Maybe I'm one of the ones, but I just don't see the value in the GTS compared to a C2S, given the options restrictions.
For #1, I think it's safe to say it does have PSE since there is a split second @ 3:50 they show the back of the car with the 2 oval tips.
For #2, similarly, @ 0:10 you can see it has the extended front spoiler lip, which is a part of the PASM package.

Last edited by reddsektor; 11-08-2021 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:27 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by reddsektor
For #1, I think it's safe to say it does have PSE since there is a split second @ 3:50 they show the back of the car with the 2 oval tips.
For #2, similarly, @ 0:10 you can see it has the extended front spoiler lip, which is a part of the PASM package.
I have an S with PASM Sport, but I did not realize it had a different spoiler lip up front. Hmm.

Quick Reply: GTS v GT3 v S mega test