New 992 - to PPF or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 10:46 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,970 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by shelbyking
I get it now.
We all need to spend 6 or 7 large to have some meth head high school drop out put a bunch of plastic junk all over our new cars and accept the fact that they will likely cut into or in some way damage the paint with a knife. I'm sure all the lighting hardware, trim pieces, etc., will be reinstalled in a factory state with no rattles, leaks, misalignments, it will all be factory spot on. Sure it will. Sounds like a wonderful idea. Can't wait to do that.
If you're spending 6-7K you are not getting a bulk installation where they custom cut the pieces. You are getting a regular install where they use plotter cut pieces of PPF so there will be virtually no blades touching the car and they will likely do zero disassembling of parts so no rattles leaks, etc. Of course, this type of standard install may lead to imperfect edges, misalignments, PPF stretched beyond the material's abilities. It can still be an acceptable installation, but it won't be perfect and invisible. It can also be a very bad installation with edges not lining up, large gaps in coverage, etc. but at least there is minimum chance that they actually cut on your paint.

You're looking at 8-10K+ for a custom cut bulk installation where there is a very good chance that they may cut into parts of your paint.
The following users liked this post:
Icegrill (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 10:52 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by shelbyking
I get it now.
We all need to spend 6 or 7 large to have some meth head high school drop out put a bunch of plastic junk all over our new cars and accept the fact that they will likely cut into or in some way damage the paint with a knife. I'm sure all the lighting hardware, trim pieces, etc., will be reinstalled in a factory state with no rattles, leaks, misalignments, it will all be factory spot on. Sure it will. Sounds like a wonderful idea. Can't wait to do that.
Do you stop and listen to yourself? You've got to be one of the most emotional and negative people on the sub. "some meth head high school drop out"... . So focking self-aggrandizing and disrespectful. Damage paint with a knife? Now you're telling us just how much you don't know. If you don't understand PPF, don't get it. I've put 1,500 mi on my car in the past three days. Yesterday I got it washed and can't believe the amount of road rash on the hip area. I'm glad it's just the PPF that's damaged and not my paint.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wilder:
HOTCHKIS (09-28-2023), rasetsu (09-27-2023), TimD (09-28-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 11:13 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 887 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
Do you stop and listen to yourself? You've got to be one of the most emotional and negative people on the sub. "some meth head high school drop out"... . So focking self-aggrandizing and disrespectful. Damage paint with a knife? Now you're telling us just how much you don't know. If you don't understand PPF, don't get it. I've put 1,500 mi on my car in the past three days. Yesterday I got it washed and can't believe the amount of road rash on the hip area. I'm glad it's just the PPF that's damaged and not my paint.
Don't bother explaining to him. Maybe a PPF installer stole his girlfriend/wife. LOL!
The following 2 users liked this post by rasetsu:
tmslc (10-17-2023), Wilder (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 03:01 PM
shelbyking
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 146 Posts

Calm down Dude. No need to cut loose with personal attacks. Sorry I gave you such a wedgy.
PorscheObsessed (10-17-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 03:30 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 435 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
Don't bother explaining to him. Maybe a PPF installer stole his girlfriend/wife. LOL!
Don't mind him, the PPF guy got his gf addicted to meth.
The following 2 users liked this post by adrianp89:
rasetsu (09-27-2023), tmslc (10-17-2023)
Old 09-28-2023, 10:18 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

4 sho man. 992 hips wide and deep. like a fat chick.
HOTCHKIS (09-28-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 04:00 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 510 Posts

F me.

the one area I didn’t PPF. Matte hood stripes.

Lesson learned.

Old 10-16-2023, 04:08 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,734 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by jhenson29
F me.

the one area I didn’t PPF. Matte hood stripes.

Lesson learned.

No part of the hood is safe from chips. I have half hood done on my current car and there are several spots above the PPF line. Other high impact zones for me is the bottom of the rockers in front of the rear tires and below the factory PPF. Putting on GT3 side skirts did not reduce damage there. I also have a chip on the bottom of the drivers door. For my incoming GT3 I will do the whole car. I was torn on the PPF and if it provides value or not. I have to admit it is much easier to maintain the PPF than it is to maintain the bare painted sections. It has indeed saved the paint from significant damage. I would however skip the factory PPF option unless there is a euro delivery optioned, it is installed badly and inadequate for long term or higher mileage driven cars.
Old 10-16-2023, 04:24 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dixonk
No part of the hood is safe from chips.
I have “full” but I think these stripes didn’t get done because they aren’t “painted”. Full PPF was all “painted” surfaces.

I figures I’d let it ride and see how they did.

I made it 12,500 miles before an issue. Not too bad; but I can’t keep replacing them at that frequency, so I’ve asked about replacing and adding PPF. My car is going in anyway to redo the front bumper (front bumper is getting replaced this week from other damage).

I’m also asking about my windshield because I have a couple of small chips there too.
Old 10-16-2023, 04:25 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 954 Likes on 451 Posts

Ppf should be looked at as a consumable and installed with zero knife trimming. Plotter kits are more than sufficient and any installer who doesn’t understand this shouldn’t be working on your car.
Old 10-16-2023, 04:30 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,734 Likes on 778 Posts

I have “full” but I think these stripes didn’t get done because they aren’t “painted”. Full PPF was all “painted” surfaces.

I figures I’d let it ride and see how they did.

I made it 12,500 miles before an issue. Not too bad; but I can’t keep replacing them at that frequency, so I’ve asked about replacing and adding PPF. My car is going in anyway to redo the front bumper (front bumper is getting replaced this week from other damage).

I’m also asking about my windshield because I have a couple of small chips there too.
I have 24k on mine and if I wasn’t trading it in next month I would be looking at getting it all replaced. On my incoming GT3 I will be doing the headlights as well. My C2S has significant pitting on the headlights and I think any risk of something happening to the coating when removing the film is better than living with pocked up headlights which seem to be made of butter the best I can tell. Let’s see if Evan @ Status Detail can make me a believer in full body PPF.
NickM (10-16-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 01:32 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

It's because they're matte and putting PPF on top would make them look gloss. Don't sweat it. They're meant to be replaced when they start looking tired.
Old 10-17-2023, 09:14 AM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

It's because they're matte and putting PPF on top would make them look gloss. Don't sweat it. They're meant to be replaced when they start looking tired.
RE: because they’re matte;

maybe, but I don’t think so. There’s matte PPF available.

Separately, I don’t care if they’re gloss. They are what they are because I didn’t have any options on ordering. There’s only one type front trunk lid stripe on the cab configurator.

Regardless, the shop said they can replace them and put PPF over the new ones. I’m not sure if they’ll just PPF the stripes separate or if they’ll want to redo the whole hood right now.

RE: don’t sweat it;

My initial thought when I saw they weren’t done was to let it ride and see. Worst case I have to replace them. But…I’m not replacing them every 3 months. So I’ll PPF them this go-around and see how that holds.

——————

In any case, this only further affirms my position that I’ve never regretted getting PPF. I’ve only ever regretted not getting PPF.
Old 10-17-2023, 09:23 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
that is funny (also sad) and probably true. there is some definite angst in SKs comments on this matter for sure.

Old 10-17-2023, 07:45 PM
GTorBUST
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

PPF is the biggest scam in this industry. I used to get it but stopped because there is no advantage, I always have had Razors damage the paint, there is almost always bubbles or dust/lint somewhere. Its better to Just touch it up or get it spot painted/blended. Ceramic coating is the 2nd biggest scam lol.
doug_999 (10-18-2023)

Quick Reply: New 992 - to PPF or not ?