Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre delivery engine swap … deterrent or roll with it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 09:09 AM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,285 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
No great shakes. Go for it!
Originally Posted by detansinn
With the additional details being presented here, I am inclined to pass on it.

Old 11-01-2021, 09:29 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 551 Posts

Wouldn't touch it at normal prices!
Old 11-01-2021, 09:51 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

No way, I wouldn’t buy a car with a heart transplant especially with a mark up. I had a 2015 GT3 that had the engine issues, and mine didn’t have a change but did have the 10 year protection. I sold the thing for close to MSRP, and didn’t want the hassle of potential engine swaps. Some cars had 2, for me not worth the problem and branded car if you wanted to keep long term. Sometimes it’s good to take a deep breath and walk away from a bad deal it’s a car, and more are out there. Think about what your asking “ do I pay over MSRP” for something that’s broken it’s an engine not a radio. Some will say Porsche will take care of it, ummmm not paying over for a car working correctly let alone needs a new motor.
The following users liked this post:
Sea Wolf (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 12:00 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

the hand wringing over engine swaps is so funny to me. The new engine comes complete in a crate, you literally plug in the harness, connect the water and fuel lines, and bolt up the transmission. if anything, a decent mechanic at a dealer will spend more time making sure everything is correct than the guy on the assembly line who just oversees it being put in on a jig. This is not some back alley rebuild, its just bolting parts together.
The following users liked this post:
Sea Wolf (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 04:20 PM
Sea Wolf
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts

Thank you all for chiming in. Good points all around. Any another market I would probably walk away but the uncertainty with vehicle availability in the near future is giving me a bad case of FOMO.

I’m not as worried with the swap as much as being technically the 2nd owner of the car if things do get weird.

The issue with the motor was a known about 6 months ago and the car just landed a few weeks ago. Porsche North America believes it was swapped at the factory because of this fact but there so apparently no way for them to be sure. My hunch is one of the store owners bought this car to flip. I’m going back in to suss the situation out further … wish me luck.

Quick Reply: Pre delivery engine swap … deterrent or roll with it?