Sponsored by:

Disconnected exhaust tips on 2022 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 09:25 AM
Wiems
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Disconnected exhaust tips on 2022 Z06

I just watched the 26 minute video on the new Corvette Z06, and they were talking about how they are able to achieve getting more exhaust sound into the cabin. One of the ways that they do this is to disconnect the tips form the exhaust. I am quite happy with the sound of the exhaust in the cabin of my 992C2S, and it has this disconnected exhaust tip thing going on, which was a head scratcher for me. I will say, the tips stay cleaner, but I never really understood the reason for the disconnect. Is it sound related??
Old 10-31-2021, 09:56 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiems
I just watched the 26 minute video on the new Corvette Z06, and they were talking about how they are able to achieve getting more exhaust sound into the cabin. One of the ways that they do this is to disconnect the tips form the exhaust. I am quite happy with the sound of the exhaust in the cabin of my 992C2S, and it has this disconnected exhaust tip thing going on, which was a head scratcher for me. I will say, the tips stay cleaner, but I never really understood the reason for the disconnect. Is it sound related??
I have some theories

The bumper design may have aero implications. Having a full length bumper cover means the exhaust needs to be surrounded by the bumper. If you have a true connected exhaust, then you need to have a healthy amount of free space around the tips to allow engine movement as well as heat dispersion to avoid warping/discoloring the bumper cover. This can be problematic aesthetically and possibly with aero.

The true exhaust tips on the 992 are also not particularly good looking or symmetric and attaching artificially symmetrical and wide tips is still a synthetic/aesthetic choice. So what's really the difference?

Then there is marketing. The sport exhaust and regular exhaust are mechanically identical. The difference is programming. Swapping bumper covers to identify the sports exhaust helps with selling the upgrade as being truly unique.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:06 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,187 Likes on 3,025 Posts

Everyone is doing this to reduce expensive damage in minor rear end collisions. You’re going to see more of it.

FUN FACT: It’s also Porsche heritage — the 959 had fake, disconnected exhaust tips. Nobody ever complained about that.

At least, on our cars, the exhaust comes out of the holes where it should. It’s not like the Audi Q5 that has fake exits at the rear when the exhaust actually faces down. Once you see it, you can’t unsee it.

Old 10-31-2021, 11:27 AM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

I posted about this in the 991 forum, and it applies to the 992. It is my feeling that disconnected exhaust tips allow sound pressure to escape into the body of the vehicle. My opinion is based on rifle barrels. Sound and exhaust gasses escape a rifle barrel forward, but also at 90 degrees, of the direction of projectile travel. If the exhaust pipe terminates prior to the exhaust tip, and therefore still within the vehicle body lines, sound pressure will affect the body panels and end up inside the cabin.

With my 991 C2S, I chose to eliminate the OE gap between exhaust pipe and exhaust tip by connecting a separate tip to each pipe. In my perception, with the exhaust pipe now effectively terminating BEYOND the body line, the exhaust sound and boom of my aftermarket Soul exhaust was moved to behind my vehicle. I experienced no droning or resonance at nearly all RPM and certainly none at typical highway speeds and throttle. Note, I also eliminated my sound symposer prior to modifying the exhaust tips, and still feel the tips made a perceptible difference.
Old 10-31-2021, 01:44 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,534 Posts

All this talk about fake exhausts being to do with noise. Nope, it’s simply a cost thing. Cheaper to manufacture, cheaper to repair, and more freedom for designers. Some cars don’t even bother, look at a non-sport pack version of a W203 Mercedes from 2000 or so. No sign of an exhaust at all, I’m sure there are others.
The following users liked this post:
Bluehighways (11-01-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 02:01 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 331 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
All this talk about fake exhausts being to do with noise. Nope, it’s simply a cost thing. Cheaper to manufacture, cheaper to repair, and more freedom for designers. Some cars don’t even bother, look at a non-sport pack version of a W203 Mercedes from 2000 or so. No sign of an exhaust at all, I’m sure there are others.
Yeah, I call BS on the sound/noise thing as well - just cost cutting and a way to rationalize it. Whatever - it still looks terrible.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:10 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Anyone who has ever attempted to align the exhaust pipes with the bumper guards and chrome exhaust pipe surrounds on a stock 356 will quickly appreciate the assembly and the repair rationale for the new designs.

aggie57 (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 06:27 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

... and the iconic e38 7 series. there were no exhaust pipes visible; it simply pointed down. many cut the bumper and added pipes to make it look good, but there was nothing there stock. having pipes show - or fake openings - is a relatively new obsession on non sports cars.
aggie57 (11-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Disconnected exhaust tips on 2022 Z06