Sponsored by:

M-Engineering - ProTune with Pure Turbos Upgrade on 992 Base

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 10:57 PM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Do you know someone who actually upgraded a Base with Pure800 and how his/her experience is? Wonder how that power makes the "deficiencies" the Base has vs S and GTS more noticeable (no LSD, different suspension, smaller brakes etc). To me, that sounds like a very cost efficient upgrade to a Base. I assume you recommend upgraded intercoolers for that package, correct?
I plan to do the turbos in the near future. Im setting myself up with all the other supporting mods now. I cant imagine how fun a low 10 second base car will be.
The following 2 users liked this post by mattchow:
DEALKLR911 (09-23-2022), Tobeit (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 11:31 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by mattchow
I plan to do the turbos in the near future. Im setting myself up with all the other supporting mods now. I cant imagine how fun a low 10 second base car will be.
I just looked back in the thread and recognized M-Engineering dynoed a base with Pure800 (but no intercooler) and numbers look impressive. Can't imagine getting a base to 600whp - wicked.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:37 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,518 Likes on 545 Posts

That was also on 91 octane CA gas which is awful as we all know. With proper 93 or even race gas or ethanol, these cars can boogie even more. Intercooling is always helpful especially with turbo upgrades.

-Charles@M
Old 07-21-2022, 10:45 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M Engineering
That was also on 91 octane CA gas which is awful as we all know. With proper 93 or even race gas or ethanol, these cars can boogie even more. Intercooling is always helpful especially with turbo upgrades.

-Charles@M
So, if I were to upgrade to Pure800 and your tune one day (maybe no intercooler as I don't race and just like the power on the street once in a while)...what would you think is the first OEM component of the base model to break from all that power and I would have to watch out for? On my AMG, once you got to > 700 the tranny did not like that et all and a tranny upgrade was almost mandatory.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:49 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Haven't seen anything break on these cars yet, they are really stout. PDK2 tune will be needed for clutch clamping forces or they can slip as you make bigger power. But nothing breaks.
We manage torque down low so that there is not too much stress on the stock connecting rods. That is part of the tuning process.
Lol just budget for tires sooner.

-Charles@M
Old 07-21-2022, 11:04 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Haven't seen anything break on these cars yet, they are really stout. PDK2 tune will be needed for clutch clamping forces or they can slip as you make bigger power. But nothing breaks.
We manage torque down low so that there is not too much stress on the stock connecting rods. That is part of the tuning process.
Lol just budget for tires sooner.

-Charles@M
Sounds almost too good to be true. I assume anybody who buys your standard tune first and then upgrades the turbo's later there is a tune upgrade fee or have to buy an entire new tune? Also, even after turbo upgrade there is really not anything different to the standard maintenance and service, i.e. I still can roll it to the dealer and have them do these in the suggested intervals. Maybe only thing would be that the tune needs to stay on the car with the turbo's installed, i.e. not like stage 1 tunes that you can flash back before service. Last general questions: if Porsche rolls out a mandatory ECU SW update, I assume we can pull a new baseline and get your tune updated to match the ID?
Old 07-21-2022, 11:45 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Sounds almost too good to be true. I assume anybody who buys your standard tune first and then upgrades the turbo's later there is a tune upgrade fee or have to buy an entire new tune? Also, even after turbo upgrade there is really not anything different to the standard maintenance and service, i.e. I still can roll it to the dealer and have them do these in the suggested intervals. Maybe only thing would be that the tune needs to stay on the car with the turbo's installed, i.e. not like stage 1 tunes that you can flash back before service. Last general questions: if Porsche rolls out a mandatory ECU SW update, I assume we can pull a new baseline and get your tune updated to match the ID?
If you already have M-Tuner, you don't have to buy M-Tuner again. However, you will need a ProTune when you upgrade to bigger turbos and there is a cost associated with that along with any dyno rental you do.
Service remains the same on the car, it's just a larger turbocharger installed.

If Porsche updates your ECU and changes the ROM ID, we can send over a new map for no cost. No need to retune it we just need to update it as a new file generally.

-Charles@M
Old 07-21-2022, 11:49 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

If you already have M-Tuner, you don't have to buy M-Tuner again. However, you will need a ProTune when you upgrade to bigger turbos and there is a cost associated with that along with any dyno rental you do.
Service remains the same on the car, it's just a larger turbocharger installed.

If Porsche updates your ECU and changes the ROM ID, we can send over a new map for no cost. No need to retune it we just need to update it as a new file generally.

-Charles@M
Thanks - that what I thought. Is there an easy way to check the ROM ID after a service? Sorry for the silly question but when you say M-Tuner do you mean the dongle you talk about online or a specific ODB handheld to do the flash? I still have a Genie from my previous car with ODB adapter cable and USB port.
Old 07-21-2022, 12:13 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

M-Tuner is the M-Engineering dongle plus our software. If you go to flash the car after a service and the ROM ID no longer matches, our software will not allow you to proceed forward. It will give you a notification about a mismatch.
At that point you would simply send us a fresh "read info" of your ROM ID and information and we'd make a new map. It's not too big of an ordeal to manage. Porsche has done this with the 996, 997, and 991 so we are familiar with this situation when it happens.

-Charles@M
Old 07-21-2022, 08:14 PM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

How would a completely stock car with Pure 800 turbos act? Obviously not stock, but would "like stock" be accurate enough? I'm just thinking way forward after acquiring turbos, then subsequently taking the car back to stock minus the upgraded turbos since the cost to just buy new turbos is so cost prohibitive.
Old 07-22-2022, 11:10 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you are going back to stock with upgraded turbos on the car, it needs to have a matching calibration for it to run correctly. If you run the stock tune with upgraded turbos the boost mapping and lambda targets may get wonky and it'll not run right. It's always important to having a matching tune per the parts on the car if they require tuning, and turbos do.

-Charles@M
Old 07-22-2022, 11:48 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

If you are going back to stock with upgraded turbos on the car, it needs to have a matching calibration for it to run correctly. If you run the stock tune with upgraded turbos the boost mapping and lambda targets may get wonky and it'll not run right. It's always important to having a matching tune per the parts on the car if they require tuning, and turbos do.

-Charles@M
So if I got upgraded turbos and had to get the car smogged, would I have to reinstall the stock map and stock turbochargers? Or would you be able to provide a matching calibration for the upgraded turbos that can allow you to pass smog? That's always the one hangup I have when considering a turbo upgrade. Granted I don't have to smog the car for 6 yrs but once you hit that mark, it's every 2 yrs after in my state and I plan on keeping my 992 for a long long time.
Old 07-22-2022, 12:43 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Smog differs from state to state and county to county. We never designed our calibrations to circumvent or go around smog or emissions testing. The only way to guarantee passing is to have a totally stock vehicle.
Depending on where you are or what parts you have it may not be an issue.

-Charles@M
Old 07-22-2022, 10:56 PM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

-Charles@M
completely understand, I wish buying another set of turbos were more economical. I guess I can cross that pain in the *** hurdle of acquiring a set of stock turbos when I get to that inevitable point.
Old 06-13-2023, 09:20 AM
Stebbo
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Can these turbos be fitted pre-tune then drove to the rolling road without issue ?

Quick Reply: M-Engineering - ProTune with Pure Turbos Upgrade on 992 Base