Sponsored by:

porsche protection film?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 02:02 AM
dchang81
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Default porsche protection film?

anyone get this option? i know the price is significantly higher than a 3rd party, but if it's (well) done at the factory, i would consider just for convenience sake. or if it's just farmed out to a third party after the fact then i'd rather save my money
Old 10-12-2021, 02:17 AM
Bread Pitt
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

I was planning on getting it myself, but my SA advised me to not go for it and instead have the dealership install it once the car arrives. He said it would be cheaper and also if there were any issues, it would be much easier for the dealership to take care of it versus if it was installed by Porsche before arrival at the dealership.
The following users liked this post:
robert310 (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 02:27 AM
dchang81
Instructor

yea i debated that, but was planning on doing the PEC center delivery. figure don't know how many more porsche custom orders we will do, so to try it this time around.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:34 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

Porsche OEM PPF is applied at the port. Don't bother, it's just not worth it.

If you are taking delivery at PEC, and are worried about protecting your Porsche before you can drive it home and take it to a professional PPF installer, simply apply a temporary film, such as Xpel Track Wrap, which is easily removable once your car arrives at a professional installation shop.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:49 AM
BlueFog
AutoX

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I was told it was applied at the factory. I ordered it on my car and think they have done an excellent job. Very difficult to even see a film has been applied. Heard some grumbles when they first started doing it at the factory but they seem to have resolved any initial teething problems now.

As to cost much cheaper getting it done at the factory than through a main dealer or going direct to one of the well know detailers. If you want film protection applied to the whole car not much point getting the factory to just do the front and then get someone else to do the rest.

The fit is good but they don’t wrap over and under the edges like Topaz do with their templates.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:53 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Just my opinion. Get the car home, choose the best installer, choose the film that the installer will stand behind, let him review the paint and if needed do a light correction and polish (many think paint from the factory is always perfect but it’s not) and choose the amount of coverage you want with edges properly wrapped. It might cost you a bit more but you will be happier longer and if you have any issues you have a Pro to deal with not a dealer.

Last edited by Penn4S; 10-12-2021 at 07:55 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Penn4S:
detansinn (10-12-2021), Go Bruins (10-12-2021), robert310 (10-12-2021), slwong23 (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 10:59 AM
clooloss
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by dchang81
anyone get this option? i know the price is significantly higher than a 3rd party, but if it's (well) done at the factory, i would consider just for convenience sake. or if it's just farmed out to a third party after the fact then i'd rather save my money
When my 911 gets delivered in February, I plan on bringing it to my local detailer for PPF, ceramic, and tint. My wife's Cayenne got the factory film and Porsche doesn't wrap the edges. The result after several years is that you can see the edge.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:22 PM
dchang81
Instructor

thanks, yes im mostly curious if it's port installed or factory installed.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:25 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueFog
I was told it was applied at the factory. I ordered it on my car and think they have done an excellent job. Very difficult to even see a film has been applied. Heard some grumbles when they first started doing it at the factory but they seem to have resolved any initial teething problems now.

As to cost much cheaper getting it done at the factory than through a main dealer or going direct to one of the well know detailers. If you want film protection applied to the whole car not much point getting the factory to just do the front and then get someone else to do the rest.

The fit is good but they don’t wrap over and under the edges like Topaz do with their templates.
Originally Posted by dchang81
thanks, yes im mostly curious if it's port installed or factory installed.
The Porsche OEM PPF is not applied at the factory.

From what I have heard from those planning to do ED, the PPF is applied at the receiving country's port, not at the factory.

So the ED folks who have spec'd the Porsche OEM PPF would not be able to get Porsche OEM PPF during ED, they would have to wait until the car arrives at the US port, where the PPF is then applied.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:43 PM
Carrera3:16
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 41 Posts

Porsche PPF is perfectly acceptable if you’re short on time and need convenience. I had zero interest in leaving my new 992 at a PPF installer for a week. There is definitely a science and art to the PPF process…but there is also a convenience factor which is sometimes overlooked.
The following users liked this post:
dchang81 (10-13-2021)

Quick Reply: porsche protection film?