Charge O Mat problem solved

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 02:08 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts
Default Charge O Mat problem solved

Hi all, I have an update you may find useful.

My charge o mat was “locking out” after 30 minutes of charging despite my following the prescribed procedure that had worked before.

I took it to one of my local dealers, the SA said they were aware of this issue and had already looked into it and prescribed a new procedure which seems to have resolved the issue.

Here is the procedure:

1. Car ON and engine running
2. Plug charge o mat into 12v adapter
3. Plug charge o mat into wall socket and switch to your appropriate setting
4. Turn off car (I waited about a minute before doing this, although I was told I don’t have to)

Just did this now. 1 hour later, still charging
Old 10-08-2021, 02:33 PM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

I wouldn’t be starting my engine during winter storage in order to engage my charger. Repeated starts to just start charging is very hard on the engine. Using the same charger as you, I just turn on the car without stepping on the brake pedal so it won’t start. Then turn on the seat heater so there is an electrical draw. Then put the charger into its charging mode and wait for it to get through the charge state analysis. Once it does that I just turn off the ignition and you are good to go until the charger drops off line in 1-3 weeks.

I suspect part of the issue for me is AC power drop outs here that cause the charger to cycle and get tripped out.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:40 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ Who says you have to start the engine repeatedly? Just once is enough, perhaps after you completed a drive
Old 10-08-2021, 02:47 PM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

My 2020 keeps dropping off the charger at random intervals when the battery is fully charged. Doesn’t do it when it is really cold where the car is at, but a royal PITA if I wanted to leave it for a long period. Been having to restart the charging process every one to three weeks while stored. If it drops out after just a few days then I leave it to the weekend before restarting. Frankly with many Porsche’s being stored during snow months, I am shocked with how bad this portion of the execution is.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:56 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

I always find these threads interesting. As someone from California, I have never in 40+years of life had to use a battery maintainer. I don't think I could live somewhere, where I had to park my car for the winter. I would probably convert to something cool like a retromod UNIMOG or big *** lifted 4x4 with the all the outdoor goodies like a winch, lights, etc. It must be hard looking at your baby in hibernation mode. It would depress me.
Old 10-08-2021, 05:13 PM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

Bigworm
i am one of those guys that grew up in California then had enough and got away before things got too bad in my area. Trade off was a great place to raise kids, but too cold in the mid winter period to drive a car very fast…..lots of trade offs in life.
The following users liked this post:
Schwarz992C4S (03-10-2023)
Old 10-08-2021, 05:17 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ I sometimes gripe about the cold winter, but to me it’s just a part of life.

Some day I will move somewhere warm, I suspect. Probably not California, but…..who knows?
Old 10-08-2021, 05:19 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,470 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I always find these threads interesting. As someone from California, I have never in 40+years of life had to use a battery maintainer. I don't think I could live somewhere, where I had to park my car for the winter. I would probably convert to something cool like a retromod UNIMOG or big *** lifted 4x4 with the all the outdoor goodies like a winch, lights, etc. It must be hard looking at your baby in hibernation mode. It would depress me.
If you drink heavily the three months of winter misery goes by quickly.
BillyX (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 05:38 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Michigan 992
Bigworm
i am one of those guys that grew up in California then had enough and got away before things got too bad in my area. Trade off was a great place to raise kids, but too cold in the mid winter period to drive a car very fast…..lots of trade offs in life.
I cant wait to move out of this state. I do not belong here. Born and raised and embarrassed to say I live here. This place is full of idiot thinking IMO.

Originally Posted by Tupper
^ I sometimes gripe about the cold winter, but to me it’s just a part of life.

Some day I will move somewhere warm, I suspect. Probably not California, but…..who knows?
Im eyeballing Texas.

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
If you drink heavily the three months of winter misery goes by quickly.
HaHa. Id join em!
Schwarz992C4S (03-10-2023)
Old 10-08-2021, 05:54 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
This place is full of idiot thinking IMO.

Im eyeballing Texas.
I don't disagree with you about CA and the thinking out here, but is it really better in TX? For some things, sure, but others, I'm not so sure... I'm a firm believer that there isn't a place without its issues, it's more about how much we're willing to tolerate. I def won't be out here full time when I'm ready to wind it down.

Back to the topic - what is the max one should leave a car for without a battery maintainer? And at what temps does it make sense to use a battery maintainer? We're in the process of buying a home in the desert where it occasionally gets to freezing temps at night, but high 30s low 40s are the norm during the peak winter (I know, nothing like the East/Midwest regions). It'll be a second home for a while and while my 992 is currently my DD, it may spend time at either location for several weeks without driving it.
Old 10-08-2021, 06:02 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Car batteries are expensive enough nowadays that I think it's worth using the maintainer full time. Hook it up directly to the battery or charging terminals using a quick-disconnect connector of your choice. I use 25A Anderson PowerPole connectors myself, but there are plenty of other options.

We will have to get into the habit of plugging our cars in soon enough anyway, might as well get a jump on the trend. My guess is that it will probably double the battery life.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:15 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ Not sure I agree with this entirely.

Plug it in full time?

If you don’t plan to drive your car for weeks, then of course plug it in.

Otherwise I don’t see how that is necessary
Old 10-09-2021, 12:14 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
I don't disagree with you about CA and the thinking out here, but is it really better in TX? For some things, sure, but others, I'm not so sure... I'm a firm believer that there isn't a place without its issues, it's more about how much we're willing to tolerate. I def won't be out here full time when I'm ready to wind it down.

Back to the topic - what is the max one should leave a car for without a battery maintainer? And at what temps does it make sense to use a battery maintainer? We're in the process of buying a home in the desert where it occasionally gets to freezing temps at night, but high 30s low 40s are the norm during the peak winter (I know, nothing like the East/Midwest regions). It'll be a second home for a while and while my 992 is currently my DD, it may spend time at either location for several weeks without driving it.
I have the LiPo battery (RAS comes with) - I had a bunch of down time during early pandemic days, and comfortably got away with 3-4 weeks. The voltage meter still had plenty. For Lithiums I would probably say anything more than 4 weeks sitting I would probably opt for a charger on it to keep it in tip to shape...
The following 2 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
bobblehead (10-09-2021), slwong23 (10-09-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 01:18 PM
rkdav
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

After a lot of trial and error I found the easiest, best way to connect the Porsche battery maintainer is to connect directly to the battery and have the socket right there in the front trunk. I bought the Porsche part for this and had the dealer technician cut off the alligator clips, solder eyelets and cover them with shrink wrap, then connect directly to the bolts that connect the battery cables to the battery. The socket lies in the webbing on the right side of the front trunk. I think they charged 1/2 hour of labor and for me it was worth it. Very neat installation. Saves all these gyrations that are so frustrating to fool with.
Old 10-09-2021, 02:37 PM
ddelallata
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 29 Posts

This method didn’t work for me
I will have to continue plugging directly to battery for now.
Originally Posted by Tupper
Hi all, I have an update you may find useful.

My charge o mat was “locking out” after 30 minutes of charging despite my following the prescribed procedure that had worked before.

I took it to one of my local dealers, the SA said they were aware of this issue and had already looked into it and prescribed a new procedure which seems to have resolved the issue.

Here is the procedure:

1. Car ON and engine running
2. Plug charge o mat into 12v adapter
3. Plug charge o mat into wall socket and switch to your appropriate setting
4. Turn off car (I waited about a minute before doing this, although I was told I don’t have to)

Just did this now. 1 hour later, still charging

Quick Reply: Charge O Mat problem solved