Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know when Q4 allocations come out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 11:27 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Received 163 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Sorry but you are mistaken. Highend 911s yield much more profit than base models. It is a fact, ask anyone in the car business. They are verifiable sources.
Again, the more I hear this, the more I know I'm right. You familiar with "Moneyball"? Same principle - group-think is a bad, bad problem that can be solved with data. If no one is willing to look at the data and "hey everyone says it, so it must be true" then you are in a bad spot and a weak-minded thinker (yes, that means you).

Unless someone can provide a verifiable source, I stand by all comments made in this thread.
The following users liked this post:
Jaye Bass (10-04-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 11:31 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,544 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Originally Posted by JiminyGlick
Again, the more I hear this, the more I know I'm right. You familiar with "Moneyball"? Same principle - group-think is a bad, bad problem that can be solved with data. If no one is willing to look at the data and "hey everyone says it, so it must be true" then you are in a bad spot and a weak-minded thinker (yes, that means you).

Unless someone can provide a verifiable source, I stand by all comments made in this thread.
I have told you three times, ask someone in the car business.
peterdouglas (10-05-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 11:33 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,292 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Have you ever heard of PTS?
Old 10-02-2021, 11:34 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,544 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
I’ll bet you dollars to donuts Porsche doesn’t make 95% of the parts that makes a 911.

When you build a house, is it more profitable for the builder if you get a bare bones home, or invite your wife into the design center and start clicking options.
Exactly, a 911 Turbo S is a Carrera 4 base built up with a ton of high profit options.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carlo_Carrera:
peterdouglas (10-05-2021), rewardforsuccess (10-04-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 08:33 AM
ctdubl07
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Back to OP, I am hopeful its next week....It does seem to be somewhat dealer dependent on who gets their allocation when. Not going to state its "size" based but when Ive read on previous threads that someone just confirmed an allocation that was released to their dealer, Ive called the 2 local dealers Ive got small deposits (placed in May) with and they never seem to have allocations. Then I follow-up maybe in a week/10 days after and they say "oh, systems were updated and we were given X."
One of my dealers had 3 allocations released to them in August, 2 TT's and a Cab for Dec builds.
I live in CT and will use as a daily so those specs are pretty useless in my mind so Im still waiting. I only mentioned what they received because maybes there's some credence to theory of higher margin cars being pumped out right now?
Very frustrating because I am a committed consumer who wants a relatively "standard" car in a 4S. So rather than build one of their highest volume versions for an existing (and multi) P owner, lets send this dealer in CT 3 builds for yet to be committed consumers. In my (sour grapes) mind, thats not building good will with me but I get it....some out there at P knows more than me.
I'm bringing my Pmera in this week for a TPMS light issue and will chat with SM and report if he has any news.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:45 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,504 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by ctdubl07
Back to OP, I am hopeful its next week....It does seem to be somewhat dealer dependent on who gets their allocation when. Not going to state its "size" based but when Ive read on previous threads that someone just confirmed an allocation that was released to their dealer, Ive called the 2 local dealers Ive got small deposits (placed in May) with and they never seem to have allocations. Then I follow-up maybe in a week/10 days after and they say "oh, systems were updated and we were given X."
One of my dealers had 3 allocations released to them in August, 2 TT's and a Cab for Dec builds.
I live in CT and will use as a daily so those specs are pretty useless in my mind so Im still waiting. I only mentioned what they received because maybes there's some credence to theory of higher margin cars being pumped out right now?
Very frustrating because I am a committed consumer who wants a relatively "standard" car in a 4S. So rather than build one of their highest volume versions for an existing (and multi) P owner, lets send this dealer in CT 3 builds for yet to be committed consumers. In my (sour grapes) mind, thats not building good will with me but I get it....some out there at P knows more than me.
I'm bringing my Pmera in this week for a TPMS light issue and will chat with SM and report if he has any news.
For what it's worth, my understanding is that Porsche actually does pay attention to prior ownership.

I was told my prior ownership history (as well as my local proximity to the dealer) played a role in getting my allocation.

Of course, there are other factors that play a role in this. Dealership performance and capital investment, politics, maybe some quid pro quo and dumb luck.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:59 AM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 858 Likes on 396 Posts

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car...rofitable-car/

Adding more fuel to the fire - nothing definitive but I imagine the bean counters know the likely demand for each model.

A single GT3 may produce more margin than a single base Carrera but the quantity sold is a function of market demand.
Optimizing total profit is balancing these factors.

Last edited by audi4t; 10-03-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Carlo_Carrera (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 01:51 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by audi4t
https://www.motoringresearch.com/car...rofitable-car/

Adding more fuel to the fire - nothing definitive but I imagine the bean counters know the likely demand for each model.

A single GT3 may produce more margin than a single base Carrera but the quantity sold is a function of market demand.
Optimizing total profit is balancing these factors.
That is true in a "normal" market. I think the "premise" here is that in a market where demand far exceeds production capacity, will the bean counters put the limited production capacity more toward the higher margin cars - although there seems to be some difference in "opinion" as to whether the higher price cars are higher margin.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:11 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Originally Posted by ctdubl07
Originally Posted by rk-d
For what it's worth, my understanding is that Porsche actually does pay attention to prior ownership.

I was told my prior ownership history (as well as my local proximity to the dealer) played a role in getting my allocation.

Of course, there are other factors that play a role in this. Dealership performance and capital investment, politics, maybe some quid pro quo and dumb luck.
I do not have prior ownership experience but I think that should be viewed as a positive to some degree (bring a new customer into the marque, etc). So I guess I will just have to rely on dumb luck to get me through this allocation cycle. If it doesn't happen, that's OK, there will be more in the future.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:26 PM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 858 Likes on 396 Posts

I do not have prior ownership experience but I think that should be viewed as a positive to some degree (bring a new customer into the marque, etc). So I guess I will just have to rely on dumb luck to get me through this allocation cycle. If it doesn't happen, that's OK, there will be more in the future.
This will be my first Porsche.

Back in March I approached 2 local dealers.

The SA of one has been worthless.

The second dealer offered me a valid allocation in mid June and I have production beginning 10/15 with delivery in December.

This is for a base Carrera- all be it with a MSRP of $121k - with NO market adjustment.

I think you have to be patient and find the right dealer - good luck 🤞🤞🤞🤞

BTW - I have a friend in Ct who received his allocation for a C4S 2 weeks b4 me. His car completed production last week and is scheduled for November delivery.

Last edited by audi4t; 10-03-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:37 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 762 Likes on 431 Posts

Do you have a verifiable source on that? I'd like to see the numbers, I'm not willing to take that as a given. The base has a smaller engine, no fancy wing, less performance options. That's all cost reduction to Porsche while still being within, what, 20K of a GTS??? Don't discount the possibility of base Carreras having a better margin.
You aren't going to get verifiable information because that is Porsche's proprietary business information and they don't make that public. Generally speaking higher trim levels and more optioned cars have higher margins across the industry, there may be some individual options which have a lower profit margin that other options but no way to get that information. With that being said the model breakdowns are determined well in advance because different parts need to be ordered...from looking at production numbers from previous generations that people have posted on here it looks like the first couple years the production is largely Carrera/Carrera S models and then after 2 years the production shifts largely to Targa/Turbo/GTS models.

Last edited by malba2366; 10-03-2021 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:34 PM
theox
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

My dealer is saying November for allocations out here in CO.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:45 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Its interesting to see that the answers to my OP have varied from "next week" to "not until November". So it sounds like this is a harder question to answer than it otherwise should be. I guess I will have to wait and see what this month brings.
Old 10-04-2021, 12:42 AM
fractionofawhole
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 56 Posts

Its interesting to see that the answers to my OP have varied from "next week" to "not until November". So it sounds like this is a harder question to answer than it otherwise should be. I guess I will have to wait and see what this month brings.
Another tally for November according to my SA when I spoke with them last week.
Old 10-04-2021, 01:25 AM
fractionofawhole
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 56 Posts

One could easily argue that this is a "weak-minded" defense you've set up here. It's not "Moneyball". It's not group think. You've set the burden of proof that you're willing to accept so high that it basically cannot be met, so you can never be proven wrong, hence you can shrug off all completely reasonable (and almost certainly correct) answers that you disagree with as "incorrect" and the truly "weak-minded". Porsche isn't going to tell you their numbers. Period. None of us are ever going to see that data, but you can look to automotive business analysts for very good information. It's amazing how easy it is to answer this with a simple Google search such as "porsche margin per model. Here's a Bloomberg article from 2019 on this very subject.

The model has accounted for nearly 30% of total Porsche AG earnings since it launched, even though it made up only 11% of sales
“It’s a very simple calculation: The 911 is very profitable in its own form, and when you add the variations, the margins became immense
Here's another great article on this subject .

one basic rule applies: the more expensive the car, the higher it is profit margin
a large margin can only arise if, on the one hand, enough vehicles are sold and, on the other hand, enough expensive extras are offered that can be easily implemented on the production side.
Another article from Motor1 on 911 profits.

It’s also important to note that the base model 911 is the least profitable version of Porsche’s iconic coupe. The real money lies in expensive option packages and special edition trims.
The following 5 users liked this post by fractionofawhole:
AlexCeres (10-04-2021), Chalk Talk (10-04-2021), Go Bruins (10-04-2021), peterdouglas (10-04-2021), slwong23 (10-04-2021)

Quick Reply: Anyone know when Q4 allocations come out?