25k Mile Report

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 03:46 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,187 Likes on 3,025 Posts
Default 25k Mile Report

My 19k mile report can be found here... https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1254...le-report.html
(Be sure to read that first if you haven't seen it yet. This is an update to it.)

2020 992 C4S
Aventurine Green, RS Spyder Design Wheels with Colored Crests, Sport and Premium Packages, Leather interior with deviated stitching, LCA, PDLS+, Bose, 18 way seats, Power Steering Plus, Light Design Package.

In a little more than 3 months, I've managed to put an additional 6k miles on my 2020 992 Carrera 4S. I also happen to be a week away from it being two years with this car. Here are some additional notes as I continue to rack on the miles. For all of the low mileage cars out there, I am living your 992 future!

Tires/Tire wear
  • My rear Pirelli's were bald after about 11k miles (they split duty with my winter tires/wheels)
  • Michelin still doesn't have a proper NA fitment for our cars, so I had the dealer install a fresh set of NA1 Pzero's on the rear wheels.
  • Tires for our cars aren't easy to come by right now. Initially, the dealer was sent the wrong tires. It took an additional five days for the proper ones to get in.
  • Before the new tires, the wear difference between my front and rears were 5/32. So, if you've been fretting whether or not the AWD system can handle circumference differences, it's basically a non-issue.
  • More here... https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1267...on-my-c4s.html
Engine
  • My car does consume a little oil now. It's nothing alarming or out of the ordinary, but the early days where it seemed like the oil level indicator was fixed in place are behind me. Again, this is totally normal and when your 992 starts showing a little consumption, don't fret it.
  • With the miles, the engine is even more stout than it was at 19k miles. Exhaust note continues to improve. I couldn't be happier with it.
Body Stuff
  • Glad that I didn't opt for painted side skirts. If you do go painted, get PPF on them. They take a lot of abuse and even the PPF will start to show it.
  • My side skirts have enough pitting that it snags the fibers of my microfiber wash mitt. It's black plastic. You wouldn't notice any issue looking at it, but get down low and close, lots of fine pitting. Again, black plastic, so who cares, but definitely something new over the past few months.
  • Front SPASM lip spoiler now snags the microfiber mitt as well for the same reason. Again, not a cosmetic issue and you can't see it, but you can feel it.
  • My car has seen sustained pandemic autobahn speeds, so it's not really a surprise that the black plastic would take such a beating.
  • As I have mentioned before, the car is NOT a chip magnet with the standard front fascia. I've got four on the front of the car and they're so small that I would have to point them out to you. I did pick up a rear chip during a recent excursion to North Carolina. Total head scratcher as to how that happened, but if you're paranoid about such things, be aware that front-only PPF may not be enough.
  • CQuartzPrime ceramic coating has held up great. Excellent stuff.
Interior
  • Like many, in the early days, my 18 ways had the bumpy seat bottom issue. I can say that 2 years and 25k miles later, issue totally went away. Seats are properly broken in, but still look like new.
  • No weird bolster wear or signs that any of that is starting -- an improvement over prior gen 911s.
  • Piano black parts still look new. The whole interior looks basically new when you keep after the dust.
  • I'm running the all weather floormats all year round. They're not showing much wear if any.
  • The official Porsche "frunk" liner basically takes away any worry of anything leaking in the trunk. Great for tossing in muddy soccer items as well. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU992FLCL.html
Miscellaneous Notes
  • Despite two winters and all of the adventures, most folks still presume that the car is new. Porsche makes a quality car and it shows.
  • Aventurine Green is a very dynamic color. Looks great and flies under the radar -- perfect combination. People continue to ask me if it's a PTS color. If that isn't flattery, I don't know what is. There are two other residents of my two square mile town that decided to get their 992s in Aventurine Green after seeing my car on the street. So, locally for me, it's not that unique -- personal problem. LOL
The following 27 users liked this post by detansinn:
911Gr8tness (09-24-2021), aggie57 (09-24-2021), AlterZgo (09-24-2021), BOSSOB (09-25-2021), breny4104 (09-26-2021), Budman1 (09-25-2021), dashanin (09-25-2021), dhirm5 (09-24-2021), drgav2005 (09-25-2021), Gables (09-26-2021), gcurnew (09-24-2021), HJ951 (09-25-2021), Kevin33 (09-24-2021), laurenxesq (09-24-2021), marrast (09-24-2021), pfelsen (09-24-2021), PHX (09-24-2021), reddsektor (09-24-2021), RRich (09-24-2021), Russian Mafia (09-24-2021), SamD (09-25-2021), slwong23 (09-25-2021), swingblade (09-24-2021), T1M3LESS911 (09-26-2021), Tompoodie (09-24-2021), Tupper (09-24-2021), uter (09-25-2021) and 22 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-24-2021, 04:09 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 787 Posts

I've done only 1/2 your miles (about 23,000 KM in 15 months) but concur with the following:

Engine
  • My car does consume a little oil now. It's nothing alarming or out of the ordinary, but the early days where it seemed like the oil level indicator was fixed in place are behind me. Again, this is totally normal and when your 992 starts showing a little consumption, don't fret it.
  • With the miles, the engine is even more stout than it was at 19k miles. Exhaust note continues to improve. I couldn't be happier with it.
Interior
  • Piano black parts still look new. The whole interior looks basically new when you keep after the dust.
  • I'm running the all-weather floormats all year round. They're not showing much wear if any.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 04:21 PM
DrewTJ50
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 54 Posts

Regarding the exhaust note, at what mileage would you say the exhaust was fully broken in and the volume/note plateaued?
Old 09-24-2021, 04:37 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
My 19k mile report can be found here... https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1254...le-report.html
(Be sure to read that first if you haven't seen it yet. This is an update to it.)

2020 992 C4S
Aventurine Green, RS Spyder Design Wheels with Colored Crests, Sport and Premium Packages, Leather interior with deviated stitching, LCA, PDLS+, Bose, 18 way seats, Power Steering Plus, Light Design Package.

In a little more than 3 months, I've managed to put an additional 6k miles on my 2020 992 Carrera 4S. I also happen to be a week away from it being two years with this car. Here are some additional notes as I continue to rack on the miles. For all of the low mileage cars out there, I am living your 992 future!

Tires/Tire wear
  • My rear Pirelli's were bald after about 11k miles (they split duty with my winter tires/wheels)
  • Michelin still doesn't have a proper NA fitment for our cars, so I had the dealer install a fresh set of NA1 Pzero's on the rear wheels.
  • Tires for our cars aren't easy to come by right now. Initially, the dealer was sent the wrong tires. It took an additional five days for the proper ones to get in.
  • Before the new tires, the wear difference between my front and rears were 5/32. So, if you've been fretting whether or not the AWD system can handle circumference differences, it's basically a non-issue.
Engine
Body Stuff
  • Glad that I didn't opt for painted side skirts. If you do go painted, get PPF on them. They take a lot of abuse and even the PPF will start to show it.
  • My side skirts have enough pitting that it snags the fibers of my microfiber wash mitt. It's black plastic. You wouldn't notice any issue looking at it, but get down low and close, lots of fine pitting. Again, black plastic, so who cares, but definitely something new over the past few months.
  • Front SPASM lip spoiler now snags the microfiber mitt as well for the same reason. Again, not a cosmetic issue and you can't see it, but you can feel it.
  • My car has seen sustained pandemic autobahn speeds, so it's not really a surprise that the black plastic would take such a beating.
  • As I have mentioned before, the car is NOT a chip magnet with the standard front fascia. I've got four on the front of the car and they're so small that I would have to point them out to you. I did pick up a rear chip during a recent excursion to North Carolina. Total head scratcher as to how that happened, but if you're paranoid about such things, be aware that front-only PPF may not be enough.
Interior
  • Like many, in the early days, my 18 ways had the bumpy seat bottom issue. I can say that 2 years and 25k miles later, issue totally went away. Seats are properly broken in, but still look like new.
  • No weird bolster wear or signs that any of that is starting -- an improvement over prior gen 911s.
  • I'm running the all weather floormats all year round. They're not showing much wear if any.
  • The official Porsche "frunk" liner basically takes away any worry of anything leaking in the trunk. Great for tossing in muddy soccer items as well. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU992FLCL.html
Miscellaneous Notes
  • Despite two winters and all of the adventures, most folks still presume that the car is new. Porsche makes a quality car and it shows.
  • Aventurine Green is a very dynamic color. Looks great and flies under the radar -- perfect combination. People continue to ask me if it's a PTS color. If that isn't flattery, I don't know what is. There are two other residents of my two square mile town that decided to get their 992s in Aventurine Green after seeing my car on the street. So, locally for me, it's not that unique -- personal problem. LOL

I have a fraction of the miles you have, and have already picked up a few road chips. Similar to your experience, most are minuscule, and only noticeable to me. However, I did get one decent size “chip” within the first week of getting my PPF (XPEL)…bummer. I showed them to my installer, and he said the chips did not damage the paint, and to bring it back in about a year, or when i get more blemishes, and he will replace.

Have you replaced your PPF yet?
Old 09-24-2021, 05:05 PM
Kevin33
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice write up. Wow, the green really pops in that picture! My aventurine green seems to always show up a lot more grey than that. It's such a fickle color.
detansinn (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 05:07 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,534 Posts

2020 992 C4S

Tires/Tire wear
Engine
Body Stuff
Interior
Miscellaneous Notes
Nice write up, and congrats on using the car so well!

I must say, if I replace my car Aventurine Green would get a serious look.
detansinn (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 06:13 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrewTJ50
Regarding the exhaust note, at what mileage would you say the exhaust was fully broken in and the volume/note plateaued?
I’d say around 20k miles.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:14 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Detasinn, do you remember the old TV commercial "when EF Hutton talks, people listen?." Substitute "Detasinn" for "EF Hutton."
detansinn (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 06:15 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin33
Nice write up. Wow, the green really pops in that picture! My aventurine green seems to always show up a lot more grey than that. It's such a fickle color.
It depends on the lighting. It pops differently with the light and surroundings. Very dynamic color. 👍
Old 09-24-2021, 06:15 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
Detasinn, do you remember the old TV commercial "when EF Hutton talks, people listen?." Substitute "Detasinn" for "EF Hutton."
LOL. I am just guy who enjoys his cars. Thank you.
Tompoodie (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 06:19 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I have a fraction of the miles you have, and have already picked up a few road chips. Similar to your experience, most are minuscule, and only noticeable to me. However, I did get one decent size “chip” within the first week of getting my PPF (XPEL)…bummer. I showed them to my installer, and he said the chips did not damage the paint, and to bring it back in about a year, or when i get more blemishes, and he will replace.

Have you replaced your PPF yet?
I’ve done PPF on other cars, but opted not to do it on the 992. I didn’t want to lose the depth of that Aventurine Green. So, I am just running with ceramic coating on this car.

PPF can show wear, but the paint underneath typically remains pristine. I’ve had PPF replaced when it starts looking beat. It self heals, but there will be scars. Your installer is right to let you accumulate some blemishes before taking action.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:23 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,534 Posts

It depends on the lighting. It pops differently with the light and surroundings. Very dynamic color. 👍
Funny thing, we bought a Mercedes GLE this week in Selentis Grey which in daylight looks very grey, maybe a hint of green. But under LED or fluorescent light, as in our garage, the green is really obvious and it looks close to Aventurine does in full daylight. These metallic shades can really play games with your eyes in different light.
detansinn (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 06:23 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

curious - did you do a hard break in, or did you baby it for the first few k? put another way, what break-in procedure did you employ, if any?
Old 09-24-2021, 06:31 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 878 Likes on 416 Posts

detansinn you are my friking hero!!! Yes - for using the car as generations of Porsche people intended. I salute you and thank you for an excellent synopsis of your experiences with the car.
The following 4 users liked this post by icanthelpit:
aggie57 (09-25-2021), detansinn (09-24-2021), SamD (09-25-2021), Tupper (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 06:32 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dhirm5
curious - did you do a hard break in, or did you baby it for the first few k? put another way, what break-in procedure did you employ, if any?
I followed the actual break-in for the US market varying RPMs and load while avoiding highways, plus frequent gear changes to get things settled in. Not everyone subscribes to that stuff, but from my experience, it has served me well.

I do that, because once broken in, I really do beat on the car in the best possible way. With the PDK, I use the whole tach. For me, backroad and mountain road driving is typically 3500-4000 RPM making frequent trips towards redline. Porsche doesn't make fragile cars. They're meant to be enjoyed driven hard.
The following 3 users liked this post by detansinn:
aggie57 (09-25-2021), icanthelpit (09-24-2021), Tupper (09-24-2021)

Quick Reply: 25k Mile Report