Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

25k Mile Report

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2021 | 06:35 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by detansinn
I’ve done PPF on other cars, but opted not to do it on the 992. I didn’t want to lose the depth of that Aventurine Green. So, I am just running with ceramic coating on this car.

PPF can show wear, but the paint underneath typically remains pristine. I’ve had PPF replaced when it starts looking beat. It self heals, but there will be scars. Your installer is right to let you accumulate some blemishes before taking action.
Thx. This is my first car with PPF and was a bit surprised that the PPF showed much/all of the road chips/blemishes. My installer said what “heals” are things like swirl marks and minor scratches…but rock chips don’t really “heal” to the point you don’t see them (unless minuscule). I’ll probably take it in another 6 months, or after the Winter.

I installed the PPF about a month after taking delivery of the car, so was able to see any changes in the looks of the paint after the PPF was installed. To be honest, I saw no differences in depth or color richness. If there was, it was so minor as to be unnoticeable to me. In the end, the biggest changes in the color, by far, that I notice are due to lighting (ie, sunny versus cloudy days…direct versus diffuse lighting). Even the source of the lighting makes a difference (ie fluorescent light versus natural lighting).

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 09-24-2021 at 06:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021 | 06:41 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

I followed the actual break-in for the US market varying RPMs and load while avoiding highways, plus frequent gear changes to get things settled in. Not everyone subscribes to that stuff, but from my experience, it has served me well.

I do that, because once broken in, I really do beat on the car in the best possible way. With the PDK, I use the whole tach. For me, backroad and mountain road driving is typically 3500-4000 RPM making frequent trips towards redline. Porsche doesn't make fragile cars. They're meant to be enjoyed driven hard.

Ditto. I would add, per my buddy who’s been racing Porsche’s for many years now…He advised, from day one, that “bedding in the brakes/rotors” was important. Independently, my service adviser said the same thing, and advise not to “baby” the brakes when breaking.
detansinn (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021 | 06:42 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Thx. This is my first car with PPF and was a bit surprised that the PPF showed much/all of the road chips/blemishes. My installer said that what “heals” the best are things like swirl marks and minor scratches…but rock chips don’t really “heal”. I’ll probably take it in another 6 months, or after the Winter.

I installed the PPF about a month after taking delivery of the car, so was able to see any changes in the looks of the paint after the PPF was installed. To be honest, I saw no differences in depth or color richness. If there was, it was so minor as to be unnoticeable to me. In the end, the biggest changes in the color, by far, that I notice are due to lighting (ie, sunny versus cloudy days…direct versus diffuse lighting). Even the source of the lighting makes a difference (ie fluorescent light versus natural lighting).
Yes, folks totally oversell the "self-healing" aspect of PPF.
With that being said, it does indeed protect the paint. I had a large hubcap from opposing traffic bounce into my lane while I was going about 60MPH in my Alfa. The PPF looked gruesome torn and gummy, but the paint underneath was unharmed. Without PPF, that incident would have been a re-spray exercise. PPF works.
Old 09-24-2021 | 06:48 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Yes, folks totally oversell the "self-healing" aspect of PPF.
With that being said, it does indeed protect the paint. I had a large hubcap from opposing traffic bounce into my lane while I was going about 60MPH in my Alfa. The PPF looked gruesome torn and gummy, but the paint underneath was unharmed. Without PPF, that incident would have been a re-spray exercise. PPF works.
I believe it protects the paint (within certain limits), but a rock hitting the PPF will leave a mark in the film that will not fully “heal” and therefore, be noticeable. Once the film is replaced, it will look brand new again.

Don’t get me wrong…I’m glad I have the PPF…but did not appreciate that it will show an impact with a rock, or some other object that does partially penetrate the film.
detansinn (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021 | 08:00 PM
4carl
Race Car

Originally Posted by detansinn View Post
  • My car does consume a little oil now. It's nothing alarming or out of the ordinary, but the early days where it seemed like the oil level indicator was fixed in place are behind me. Again, this is totally normal and when your 992 starts showing a little consumption, don't fret it.
How much consumption . carl
Old 09-24-2021 | 08:38 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4carl
Originally Posted by detansinn View Post
  • My car does consume a little oil now. It's nothing alarming or out of the ordinary, but the early days where it seemed like the oil level indicator was fixed in place are behind me. Again, this is totally normal and when your 992 starts showing a little consumption, don't fret it.
How much consumption . carl
Very modest. This is with 6600 miles since my last oil change.

Old 09-24-2021 | 09:34 PM
4carl
Race Car

Very modest. This is with 6600 miles since my last oil change.

that’s nothing I remember my 87 Carrera a quart every 800 miles. Which porsche said was OK ? They gave allowable oil consumption at 1 L per thousand kilometers. Carl
detansinn (09-24-2021)
Old 09-25-2021 | 07:05 PM
Budman1
Instructor

Great write up! Glad to hear your 992 is holding up well.

I have a C2 on order and this will be my first Porsche, so plan driving & enjoying it. It’s encouraging to see how reliable Porsche’s are as I do not want to be on a first name basis with my service advisor.

Last edited by Budman1; 09-25-2021 at 07:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Budman1:
detansinn (09-25-2021), Go Bruins (09-26-2021)
Old 09-26-2021 | 03:58 AM
ibopm
Instructor

• Glad that I didn't opt for painted side skirts. If you do go painted, get PPF on them. They take a lot of abuse and even the PPF will start to show it.
Oh no! I got painted side skirts (yellow) and the car will be driven all year through the snow.

It sounds like I should take it to a shop to PPF them. Anything else I should do about this?

Thanks again for the great write-up!
detansinn (09-26-2021)
Old 09-26-2021 | 09:44 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ibopm
Oh no! I got painted side skirts (yellow) and the car will be driven all year through the snow.

It sounds like I should take it to a shop to PPF them. Anything else I should do about this?

Thanks again for the great write-up!
Porsche puts black plastic in certain areas for a reason. If you’re getting it PPF’d, no worries. Enjoy! The yellow looks great.
Old 09-26-2021 | 10:23 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My 6800 mile report:

1. I think the exhaust sounds better but perhaps it’s psychological?
2. I didn’t do a break in procedure. I just drove it normally and often very fast. My RPMs not too infrequently hit the red line.
3. I’m enjoying the car immensely but can’t find a lot of like minded people on the streets
4. Only major issue so far was the rear spoiler brake light malfunction that got replaced under warranty
detansinn (09-26-2021)
Old 09-26-2021 | 10:31 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Tupper
My 6800 mile report:

1. I think the exhaust sounds better but perhaps it’s psychological?
2. I didn’t do a break in procedure. I just drove it normally and often very fast. My RPMs not too infrequently hit the red line.
3. I’m enjoying the car immensely but can’t find a lot of like minded people on the streets
4. Only major issue so far was the rear spoiler brake light malfunction that got replaced under warranty
With regards to #3, have you joined the Chicago area PCA chapter? Great way to meet like-minded folk.

I’ve found that in the DC-Annapolis-Baltimore area, I go 2-3 weeks before I even spot another Porsche on the road…and as the weather gets worse, I’m sure those weeks will turn into months. Without a doubt, the frequency of Porsche siting on my area rods is infrequent. I have one neighbor in my development that has a Porsche, a 2015 Turbo…but he’s really not what I would can an enthusiast (ie had zero interest in tracking his car).
detansinn (09-26-2021)
Old 09-26-2021 | 11:14 AM
achilleas101
Racer

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
With regards to #3, have you joined the Chicago area PCA chapter? Great way to meet like-minded folk.

I’ve found that in the DC-Annapolis-Baltimore area, I go 2-3 weeks before I even spot another Porsche on the road…and as the weather gets worse, I’m sure those weeks will turn into months. Without a doubt, the frequency of Porsche siting on my area rods is infrequent. I have one neighbor in my development that has a Porsche, a 2015 Turbo…but he’s really not what I would can an enthusiast (ie had zero interest in tracking his car).
in the Northern VA DC burbs, even in McLean I see a ton of Porsche SUVs, but rarely 911s. Since I ordered my 992, my 6yr old makes a point to yell PORSCHE whenever he sees one (little car enthusiast!) but its almost always not a 911. Have seen maybe 3 in the last 4 months.
Old 09-26-2021 | 11:23 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by achilleas101
in the Northern VA DC burbs, even in McLean I see a ton of Porsche SUVs, but rarely 911s. Since I ordered my 992, my 6yr old makes a point to yell PORSCHE whenever he sees one (little car enthusiast!) but its almost always not a 911. Have seen maybe 3 in the last 4 months.

Yea, not referring to the SUV’s….I too see a lot of them. But other than my neighbor and I, don’t see any 911’s on a regular basis. But I’m cool with that. The relative rarity of the car is what makes it special.
Old 09-26-2021 | 02:41 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I agree that 992s are a rare sight on the road, but 911s being "rare" is really a matter of where you live. Porsche mass produces these cars in significant numbers -- around 1.25m 911s have been built. The 911 is probably the highest volume six figure car in production today and made lovingly by robots.

For example, not counting me, there are three 911s on my block -- 991 Cabrio, 996 Targa, 997 Carrera 4. If I go the next block over, there's a guy with a nice 964. Plus, as I noted above, there are two other Aventurine Green 992s in my small, two square mile town. Of course, I am in Southeastern Pennsylvania, the Philly Suburbs that was home to Holbert's Porsche and has the oldest PCA chapter in the country. That probably contributes to them being especially popular around here.

Quick Reply: 25k Mile Report