Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera S build, am I missing something?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 01:25 PM
PorscheRocket
Track Day

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Carrera S build, am I missing something?

I'm hoping to finalize my Carrera S build at the beginning of this week, I'm trying to stay around 150-155k. Please have a look and let me know your thoughts.

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PNXKSCB1

Thank you!
Old 09-20-2021, 01:55 PM
CO 992
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts

Any reason you wouldn't just spec it as a GTS? You are basically the exact audience that a GTS makes sense for - a high spec S.
Taking your same options and knocking off the factory PPF (it's not as good as a good indy anyway) gets me to 156.5...just outside your stated budget, but now you're in a GTS. Might be worth considering.

Code is PNVQCU49
Old 09-20-2021, 02:02 PM
PorscheRocket
Track Day

Thanks for your thoughts on this. And you are correct the GTS is what I originally want, but it seems like the wait time for those will be 12-18 months according to my SA. This Carrera S looks like I can have delivered in December/January which makes it very tempting to go for it. My dealership also mentioned that I would have the option to keep my deposit for the GTS and trade the Carrera S for it down the road if I choose to.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 02:52 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts

I agree with losing the PPF - have that done once the car arrives. The FAL is needed in some parts of the country, not others (speaking USA here). In the land of Illinois, it is a waste - California and Arizona seem to have massive culverts everywhere, I would get it there.

One thing I think you are missing however is the sport design side skirts. That black trim on the bottom will be noticeable since you got the sport design front. Especially since you painted the entire mirror in white.

Old 09-20-2021, 03:21 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Received 163 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheRocket
Thanks for your thoughts on this. And you are correct the GTS is what I originally want, but it seems like the wait time for those will be 12-18 months according to my SA. This Carrera S looks like I can have delivered in December/January which makes it very tempting to go for it. My dealership also mentioned that I would have the option to keep my deposit for the GTS and trade the Carrera S for it down the road if I choose to.
December/January of this year??? Does that strike anyone else as overly ambitious based on the delays we have seen so far? I understand that the dealer may be giving you their best effort, and they may very well have seen that delivery timeline in years past, but this year is no common year. I wouldn't hold my breath for that delivery timeline.
SBAD (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 03:24 PM
bkknight369
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 48 Posts

Internet options are extremely varied and subjective, so take with grain of salt.

I'd drop the front facia, FAL, and PPF, and option the sunroof -- I found the car to be pretty dark without it, and the experience is really fun with moonroof up / windows down.

I'd get PPF (and ceramic if you are so inclined) done right after delivery. This way you'll get paint correction done up front before you PPF

Have you sat in the 18-way seats? My feel was too restrictive, and went with 14-way instead (which I think was the perfect sweet spot).

Have fun with your permutations!
Old 09-20-2021, 04:15 PM
CO 992
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts

Definitely get the timing differences. That said, I had my car in for oil this weekend, and heard the dealer quoting a customer 6-8 month time from getting an allocation to taking a delivery on an S. Closer to the 8 month end of the spectrum they said, and this is the largest dealer in my state. Dec/Jan delivery seems incredibly optimistic, but the 12 months for a GTS does seem reasonable. Only you can decide how long you want to wait, but to me if it's 8 months vs 12.....
Old 09-20-2021, 05:23 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 339 Likes on 200 Posts

I'm hoping to finalize my Carrera S build at the beginning of this week, I'm trying to stay around 150-155k. Please have a look and let me know your thoughts.

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PNXKSCB1

Thank you!
Most of your selections are a matter of taste, and taste varies. But, I think you can get PPF for less aftermarket, maybe combine with ceramic.
Old 09-21-2021, 05:45 PM
PorscheRocket
Track Day

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I actually made some last minute changes and went with Carbon Steel Metallic instead of the GT silver. Delivery will be late spring/early summer, very excited!
bkknight369 (09-22-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 06:11 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 339 Likes on 200 Posts

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I actually made some last minute changes and went with Carbon Steel Metallic instead of the GT silver. Delivery will be late spring/early summer, very excited!
$11K Paint Job? Well, if it really blows your skirt up.
Scott P (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 06:20 PM
PorscheRocket
Track Day

Haha yeah, but I decided to skip on a few options and instead add the PTS. Felt like it was worth it to me I was surprised I could pick a PTS color, I thought those were much harder to come by?
Old 09-21-2021, 07:55 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,313 Likes on 1,419 Posts

that'd be the day I spent $11K on a paint job over options on a sportscar that are much more in line with that car's lineage than COLOR which by the way, black is not a German color in auto racing history.
Old 09-22-2021, 02:01 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,653 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
that'd be the day I spent $11K on a paint job over options on a sportscar that are much more in line with that car's lineage than COLOR which by the way, black is not a German color in auto racing history.

Well then, I guess it is a very good thing that he is able to spec his car the way he wants and you are able to spec your car the way you want. Otherwise, one of the two of you would be very unhappy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drew46:
CO 992 (09-22-2021), PorscheRocket (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 03:47 PM
SFAVGUY
Racer

Received 477 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
Well then, I guess it is a very good thing that he is able to spec his car the way he wants and you are able to spec your car the way you want. Otherwise, one of the two of you would be very unhappy.
In my opinion PTS is the best option that Porche offers, makes the car unique in most cases.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:57 PM
bkknight369
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 48 Posts

Can you share your latest build code?

Quick Reply: Carrera S build, am I missing something?