Sponsored by:

Why is throttle response sharper in sports versus sport plus

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 01:36 PM
porsche.earth
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
You have made this point before, but I am not sure you are correct - opinions about exhaust noises aside. I agree that sport is causing fuel inefficiency, but I suspect that Sport+ keeping you in a lower gear and significantly higher RPMs might actually translate into poorer fuel economy. I doubt there are any objective data points on this, but I would be surprised at all that one would get more mileage to a tank driven solely in Sport than one driven solely in Sport+.
I always drive in Sport+ mode and get 50% to 100% more range from the same amount of gas as I did in Sport mode. In Sport mode, I get 10 to 12 miles per gallon (mpg), but in Sport+ mode, I get 18 to 20+ mpg for street things. I think this is because Sport+ mode is designed to be more fuel-efficient, since you wouldn't want to waste fuel when you're racing. When I do high-speed runs on my test loop, I usually cover about 50 to 60 miles in 20 to 30 minutes. I only ever fill the tank to a quarter full before starting, and I'm fairly certain that if I tried that with Sport mode, I would run out of gas before I made it to a gas station. I can get exact numbers the next time the sky patrol leaves me alone long enough. Don't get me wrong, Sport+ still drinks gas like its water but in my experience, it is getting me further.

Last edited by porsche.earth; 04-17-2023 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:53 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche.earth
I always drive in Sport+ mode and get 50% to 100% more range from the same amount of gas as I did in Sport mode.
Now you have simply lost all credibility.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drew46:
Icegrill (04-18-2023), Staffie Guy (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 01:12 AM
porsche.earth
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
Now you have simply lost all credibility.
I could say the same thing about you, as it seems like you don't know how to drive a car if you get worse mpg in Sport+ than Sport. I'm not sure your opinion holds much value here. You might be one of those comfort pressure users with deflated tires, the math would check out.

All jokingly said insults aside, If you're up for a real debate, bring some original data or photos to show how things work in your experience, and we can compare notes. No need for hypotheticals, as we can just drive and gather data, right? I've got photos from 2021 showing that a half tank of gas equates to 206 miles in Sport+ mode with my extended tank at 23.7 gallons, resulting in about 17.4 mpg. That's more than I ever got in Sport mode, showing between 1.45x and 1.74x better fuel consumption, depending on whether you calculate with 10 or 12 mpg. I'm confident I can provide even more real-world data to back up my claims, I don't need to "suspect" anything when it comes to getting better mileage in Sport+, that was one of the reasons I stopped using Sport in the first place. I don't mind collecting new data with no prior assumptions (to ensure that we're not using bad data for our comparison and open myself up to the possibility that I am wrong) if you want to create a standard testing methodology for us to follow as well (such as fill tank to xx% full, drive till xx% full on sport+ only or etc.).

I probably shouldn't assume you won't come back with a meaningful response, but it seems like a waste of time. I feel like you'll probably spend more time acting like a troll and nitpicking the math I mentioned because it's 1.45x instead of 1.5x on the lower end. Well, what can I say? Cry me a river (said jokingly, this isn't that big of a deal - I am interested in comparing notes on mpg in Sport+ though, especially if you have comfort tire pressures).

PS: are you a NonCredibleDefense fan ? thatd be hilarious

Last edited by porsche.earth; 04-18-2023 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-18-2023, 11:30 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Stating the same thing again without any support does not amount to proof. Remaining range at half a tank means nothing without knowing how you drove for the first half of the tank. If I cruise at constant 80mph for that 1st half, I will have significantly more range showing than if I am canyon carving - regardless of the mode. But it is clear to me from this thread and all your other posts that you are not looking for meaningful discussion of a topic. And you think I am a troll . . .

Quick Reply: Why is throttle response sharper in sports versus sport plus