Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is throttle response sharper in sports versus sport plus

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 02:02 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

I also find my TT has the most responsive throttle in Sport+ on my TT.

it is important to clearly distinguish between engine response and throttle position map. They are not the same characteristic.

Old 10-09-2021, 05:33 PM
CraigChase
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's remarkable how many people seem to have skipped over the OP statement that their experience is from a manual car.

My 992 C2S is also manual. The experience with the throttle mapping is quite striking at partial throttle. Simply drive at steady throttle with moderate acceleration and turn the dial. If you switch "down" from sport-plus to sport, the car will immediately pull harder even without any change in throttle position. It's very noticeable. Switch back from sport to sport plus, and it will accelerate less briskly. That's at part throttle and 2K to about ~5K RPM.
  • I don't know if the behavior is similar at higher RPMs.
  • I don't know if the behavior is similar for full throttle.
  • Why don't I know these things? At full throttle and/or higher RPM on the highway, I've usually got distractions (other cars on the highway and/or redline coming at me too quickly).
At full throttle, the sensitivity of my *** is not up to the challenge to feel a difference between sport and sport-plus. I have tried.

Regardless, for the same movement in your right foot, while cruising on the highway, your car will accelerate more in sport mode than if you are in sport plus mode. Mash the pedal to the floor, and maybe they're the same, or maybe sport plus generates more power, but a daily driver doesn't spend a lot of time at full throttle. Sport mode feels powerful and responsive because it responds with more power (than sport plus) at light throttle.

Assuming that this is by design, then the sport-plus throttle map and/or engine map is designed to produce less power than the sport mode at part throttle. One possible benefit of this design is that it gives a driver more control and a smoother (less abrupt) acceleration profile. That would give more fidelity to the driver looking to find the maximum "maintenance throttle" around a turn and also needing a very smooth throttle response so as not to break traction at the cornering limit. I have no idea if this is the case. I'd be very interested in hearing whether a Porsche engineer has discussed it.

I certainly expect that at full throttle and in the range 4500-7000 RPM that sport plus generates at least as much power as sport. But at part throttle and lower RPMS, it does not.
The following users liked this post:
Staffie Guy (04-14-2023)
Old 10-09-2021, 06:02 PM
DrewTJ50
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigChase
It's remarkable how many people seem to have skipped over the OP statement that their experience is from a manual car.

My 992 C2S is also manual. The experience with the throttle mapping is quite striking at partial throttle. Simply drive at steady throttle with moderate acceleration and turn the dial. If you switch "down" from sport-plus to sport, the car will immediately pull harder even without any change in throttle position. It's very noticeable. Switch back from sport to sport plus, and it will accelerate less briskly. That's at part throttle and 2K to about ~5K RPM.
  • I don't know if the behavior is similar at higher RPMs.
  • I don't know if the behavior is similar for full throttle.
  • Why don't I know these things? At full throttle and/or higher RPM on the highway, I've usually got distractions (other cars on the highway and/or redline coming at me too quickly).
At full throttle, the sensitivity of my *** is not up to the challenge to feel a difference between sport and sport-plus. I have tried.

Regardless, for the same movement in your right foot, while cruising on the highway, your car will accelerate more in sport mode than if you are in sport plus mode. Mash the pedal to the floor, and maybe they're the same, or maybe sport plus generates more power, but a daily driver doesn't spend a lot of time at full throttle. Sport mode feels powerful and responsive because it responds with more power (than sport plus) at light throttle.

Assuming that this is by design, then the sport-plus throttle map and/or engine map is designed to produce less power than the sport mode at part throttle. One possible benefit of this design is that it gives a driver more control and a smoother (less abrupt) acceleration profile. That would give more fidelity to the driver looking to find the maximum "maintenance throttle" around a turn and also needing a very smooth throttle response so as not to break traction at the cornering limit. I have no idea if this is the case. I'd be very interested in hearing whether a Porsche engineer has discussed it.

I certainly expect that at full throttle and in the range 4500-7000 RPM that sport plus generates at least as much power as sport. But at part throttle and lower RPMS, it does not.
My instructor at PECLA kept emphasizing how these cars like smooth inputs when on a racetrack. Given that Sport Plus is more “go” vs the “show” of Sport (ie exhaust burble tune), perhaps this is Porsche’s way of accommodating both the guy who wants to mash the throttle to maximize butt dyno experience on the street while also offering a version more optimized for the dynamics of a racetrack.

Last edited by DrewTJ50; 10-09-2021 at 06:14 PM.
SBAD (10-10-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 09:33 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Bringing this thread back after driving my TTS over the weekend. Sport plus programming on this car feels very different. Unlike the C2S, Sport plus is my preferred mode on the TTS.

Personally, I thought sport plus felt a little flat and overly linear in the C2S. It would hold revs but the power didn’t seem much improved compared to Sport.

Compared to the C2S, the TTS has a clear cut boost point and Sport plus keeps the revs closer to boost threshold and ready to go. The car feels more responsive as a result. Sport mode seems to upshift a little too aggressively in that car. Honestly, the shifting behavior is more similar to Normal mode in the C2S.

For whatever reason, my C2S seemed to have a sharper, more aggressive throttle map in Sport compared to Sport plus and I preferred it. I know there is debate on that - but that’s my impression of it.

Anyway - I thought the differences between the two cars there are interesting.

Last edited by rk-d; 11-08-2021 at 01:38 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by rk-d:
CanAutM3 (11-07-2021), russbert (11-08-2021), Russian Mafia (11-08-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 12:38 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by fstezaws
I'm not an expert but it sounds like some people are confusing throttle/pedal mapping and transmission mapping. Obviously, Sport mode will allow a lower RPM while not under load, as well as shift later in the rev range when under load than compared to Standard. Sport Plus will increase the min rpm even more before downshifting, respond quicker to throttle inputs for shifting when under load, and allow the motor to remain in a higher rev range for longer (in anticipation of more input) before shifting to a lower gear if load has been reduced.

This is just my opinion, but I don't know if Sport vs Sport Plus has a different throttle mapping or not because I can't tell honestly. Throttle mapping is purely 'how much engine output does it request at 30% throttle input'? A more "sensitive" throttle mapping (like BMWs do) will dictate 50% throttle (or power output) at 30% pedal input in a Sport Plus mode, whereas Sport may demand 40% throttle at 30% pedal input.

Having driven tens of thousands of miles in 2 different M5s, and now 10k miles in my 992, the throttle mappings between Sport vs Sport Plus feels about the same to me. For track driving (see blue line below), you want as linear as input as possible, so I appreciate that it's not as sensitive personally. The instructors at the BMW driving school would all say keep it in comfort because the throttle mapping is more linear because Sport Plus is going to be harder to modulate with precision.

Found this online for a quick diagram...this isn't for a Porsche, but it illustrates throttle/pedal mapping. Obviously the transmission tuning goes hand in hand and can influence how people perceive the throttle/pedal mapping, but they are still independent of each other.

Good find, and thank you for the graph to help visualize.
Staffie Guy (04-14-2023)
Old 11-08-2021, 11:20 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

I ran a few laps in sport at Thunderhill & I didn’t notice a difference in throttle response. I definitely preferred sport+ as it held gears like it was reading my mind & worked in perfect harmony with sport suspension.
Tupper (11-08-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 03:03 AM
tnf552
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the 991.2 and it's the same as you described. I think it's by design for the linear feel for the pedal and control of the throttle - your foot can use that full range of the pedal movement so you can more precisely control how much throttle you like.
Old 04-14-2023, 02:44 PM
1957Goldtop
Instructor

Received 147 Likes on 36 Posts

Was doing a search on this exact topic and found this old thread... also found this breakdown on Porsche Irvine's website:
https://www.porscheirvine.com/resear...ving-modes.htm

Is there a way to get the "burbles" in Sports+ mode? Doesn't seem like it.
Old 04-14-2023, 03:03 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,390 Likes on 671 Posts

While a good guide, I would not call Porsche Irvine's explanations the holy grail. Based on reading some earlier posts, it appears that Sport throttle response is more immediate and Sport Plus is more linear, unlike Porsche Irvine's description of Sport Plus that the "throttle response is instantaneous". I bet the verbiage was probably written by someone at Porsche Irvine based upon some research supplemented by personal opinion. In other words, this is not Porsche's wording.

I have a manual 992 and did not notice any throttle difference when I went into Sport Plus.

Last edited by Staffie Guy; 04-14-2023 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-14-2023, 06:44 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 331 Likes on 195 Posts

Sport plus (PDK at least) has brutal upshifts and aggressive downshifts, much more so than Sport. I think the engine response is the same, but the trans response relative to the engine makes the engine seem dominant. The Sport+ upshifts on the Turbo S on track make you feel like you're a golf ball coming off the tee at a PGA tournament.
Old 04-14-2023, 07:12 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,531 Likes on 552 Posts

Because overboosted initial tip-in is a show off feature like the farts and pops that they also put into the "sport mode"
IPA1 (04-17-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 11:27 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

I find the throttle response btw comfort, sport and sport+ to be pretty similar and the differences are quite subtle. This is unlike on an M3 where it feels like you are driving 3 completely different cars in comfort, sport and sport+ throttle maps and steering as well. I like Porsche's way better. It doesn't make sense to completely change up these characteristics. BMW's sport+ is basically undrivable b/c of how ridiculously twitchy the throttle is and how insanely stiff the steering is as well. My 992 is totally drivable in all modes and settings.
Old 04-15-2023, 09:27 AM
porsche.earth
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

I find that turning PSM off solves all of my problems

jokes aside

Originally Posted by RudyP
Because overboosted initial tip-in is a show off feature like the farts and pops that they also put into the "sport mode"
Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there was a small village named Gasville. The villagers were known for their love of flashy cars and thrills. The most famous car in the village was the Porsche-Whizbang 3000, a unique vehicle with a special feature.

One day, a young villager named Timmy was given a brand new Porsche-Whizbang 3000 as a birthday gift. Eager to show off his new ride, he invited all his friends to take a tour of the village. As they explored the different modes, they came across two unique settings: "Sport" and "Sport+."

Timmy's friends were intrigued, and they convinced him to test the "Sport" mode. Little did they know that this mode was also known as the "I waste gas and I want everyone to know" mode. As Timmy stepped on the accelerator, the car started making loud burbles and fart noises, releasing clouds of wasted fuel.

At first, the young villagers found the noises hilarious, but soon, they realized the implications of wasting so much gas. The older villagers frowned upon Timmy's antics and whispered amongst themselves, "Oh my god, what a loser! His car is literally farting every 5 feet!"

Embarrassed and ashamed, Timmy switched off the "Sport" mode and vowed to become a more responsible driver. He used the experience as a lesson and started a campaign to educate the village about the importance of fuel efficiency and eco-friendly driving habits.

Over time, the villagers adopted more sustainable practices, and Gasville transformed into a cleaner and greener place. Timmy's Porsche-Whizbang 3000 served as a constant reminder of the importance of being mindful of the environment, and the villagers of Gasville lived happily ever after, driving their cars with care and respect for the planet.

And so, the magic of change and awareness spread throughout the land, turning the once wasteful village into a shining example of environmental stewardship.

-------

tl;dr: "Sport" mode = the "I waste gas and I want everyone to know" mode. Don't use it. The fart noises aren't impressing anyone. If you want to experience the car at "its best", turn off PSM and stay in Sport+.

Last edited by porsche.earth; 04-15-2023 at 10:03 AM.
RudyP (04-15-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 09:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche.earth

jokes aside

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there was a small village named Gasville. The villagers were known for their love of flashy cars and thrills. The most famous car in the village was the Porsche-Whizbang 3000, a unique vehicle with a special feature.

One day, a young villager named Timmy was given a brand new Porsche-Whizbang 3000 as a birthday gift. Eager to show off his new ride, he invited all his friends to take a tour of the village. As they explored the different modes, they came across two unique settings: "Sport" and "Sport+."

Timmy's friends were intrigued, and they convinced him to test the "Sport" mode. Little did they know that this mode was also known as the "I waste gas and I want everyone to know" mode. As Timmy stepped on the accelerator, the car started making loud burbles and fart noises, releasing clouds of wasted fuel.

At first, the young villagers found the noises hilarious, but soon, they realized the implications of wasting so much gas. The older villagers frowned upon Timmy's antics and whispered amongst themselves, "Oh my god, what a loser! His car is literally farting every 5 feet!"

Embarrassed and ashamed, Timmy switched off the "Sport" mode and vowed to become a more responsible driver. He used the experience as a lesson and started a campaign to educate the village about the importance of fuel efficiency and eco-friendly driving habits.

Over time, the villagers adopted more sustainable practices, and Gasville transformed into a cleaner and greener place. Timmy's Porsche-Whizbang 3000 served as a constant reminder of the importance of being mindful of the environment, and the villagers of Gasville lived happily ever after, driving their cars with care and respect for the planet.

And so, the magic of change and awareness spread throughout the land, turning the once wasteful village into a shining example of environmental stewardship.

------

tl;dr: "Sport" mode = the "I waste gas and I want everyone to know" mode
Seems like they need to make Gasville great again….
The following 5 users liked this post by 22992:
dixonk (04-15-2023), Guzzgreg (04-15-2023), porsche.earth (04-15-2023), Reano (06-30-2024), SamD (04-15-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 10:04 AM
1957Goldtop
Instructor

Received 147 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche.earth

jokes aside

-------

tl;dr: "Sport" mode = the "I waste gas and I want everyone to know" mode. Don't use it. The fart noises aren't impressing anyone. If you want to drive the car at "its best", turn off PSM and stay in Sport+.
Shouldn't you be in some all electric forum? Oh wait... Those aren't as "clean" as we thought either ... How about a "I only walk and wear biodegradable shoes" forum 😁
The following 3 users liked this post by 1957Goldtop:
CanAutM3 (04-17-2023), porsche.earth (04-15-2023), Reano (06-30-2024)

Quick Reply: Why is throttle response sharper in sports versus sport plus