Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Think This Will Buff OUT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 09:14 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts

Sorry to see this . It hurts just watching . Have you considered the unthinkable ? If you ae wondering what that is I will explain . In the days of "lot cars" I took my crashed car , called my insurance company , and traded it in the next day in crashed condition . When the cards all lay out at the end it works out to if you traded in the car minus about 3-5K per 100K on MSRP . There is a picture of me looking at a lot car in my photo album with a sore neck while my cashed car was being dumped . It is liberating !!! I am not kidding ! I have done it twice.

Unfortunately lot cars are a thing of the past so you will have to fix it and I completely empathize with your feelings about not wanting to deal with it . It's inconvenient and time consuming . In short its Porsche guy's version of torture , I would still order a car . Thats what "the rainy day fund" is for .. times like this . ! As crazy as it sounds its a solid way of guaranteeing that you will never have to look at that car and have it not feel the same after its fixed .

It costs nothing to bounce the idea off the sales staff .

No matter what you do .. I wish you peace with this .

Old 09-10-2021, 09:21 AM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

I just looked at this again and it hurts me so much. I hope its a quick and easy repair and i'm sure as long as you take it to a great shop it will be as good as new. Best of luck and glad you didn't get too banged up.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:08 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
oh man this is heartbreaking footage.... obviously things could always be much worse but this blows that you have to deal with this now.
Thanks. Dealing with two different insurance agents for the last 6 months for house and now I get the start the process with TN DOT ... what could go wrong?
Old 09-10-2021, 12:10 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by achilleas101
... your loaner car will make you miss the 911 even more. 😁
This may qualify as the understatement of the year!
Old 09-10-2021, 12:19 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Autobacs
That makes me cringe OP. So sorry about your car. Never cross my mind before on the front camera. What prompted you to have the camera in the first place? Now I'm thinking about getting one. Definitely make yourself whole on the loss of resale value. Get it fixed and then sell it and get a brand spanking new 911 to enjoy for 2022.

Best of luck to you.
I have a configuration made already that my wife absolutely loves ... just in case. I live in a small rural town in Eastern TN, which is awesome in every way but one. Their driving (for the most part) totally SUCKS! I'm been fortunate to see a lot of different parts of the world when I worked, and Puerto Rico is about the only place worst than here IMO. They seem to make up their own "rules of the road" at times so I quickly purchased a camera for each of my three vehicles when I moved here over 10 years ago. Here is one example of many, many such videos.

Old 09-10-2021, 12:22 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Sorry to read and see this.

The only downside is that the damage wasn't any worse. If it was, you would've been able to total the car and get a new one.
Too funny as that did occur to me a little later on.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:37 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Yeah, I think I would've taken my chances in the rough... even though any resulting damage would have been considered my fault.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:51 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

I had similar damage to my 991.2 when a deer ran into the left front corner of the car. The total cost to repair was about $17,000. It took about 2 months to make the repairs, and the car just wasn't the same when I got it back. I drove it for a couple of months and then traded it for my Macan S. The dealer offered to buy the damaged car for $65,000, which would have given me about $82,000 with the insurance proceeds. I got $90,000 for it on the trade plus a discount on the Macan, so having it repaired was the better option. The biggest issue I faced was the fact that a small metal tab that held the fender to the frame had to be replaced because it was bent. Carfax called it "frame damage", which seriously diminished the value of the car (I was quoted much less than $90,000 when I first inquired about a trade). Both the insurance company and the repair shop (a Porsche dealer) denied reporting frame damage to Carfax. After submitting a ton of documentation, I was able to convince Carfax to remove the frame damage designation. By the way, I didn't trade it to the same dealership that did the repairs.
The following users liked this post:
russbert (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 11:07 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by russbert
I have a configuration made already that my wife absolutely loves ... just in case. I live in a small rural town in Eastern TN, which is awesome in every way but one. Their driving (for the most part) totally SUCKS! I'm been fortunate to see a lot of different parts of the world when I worked, and Puerto Rico is about the only place worst than here IMO. They seem to make up their own "rules of the road" at times so I quickly purchased a camera for each of my three vehicles when I moved here over 10 years ago. Here is one example of many, many such videos.
Typical Clueless Driver - Pays to Drive Defensively
I observed almost identical behavior today in Laguna Beach CA. True.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:09 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Thanks TGCRUN; I appreciate hearing about your experience.

I am still hoping that someone will comment, either publicly or privately, about the process they followed to successfully get diminished return on their damaged car.
The following users liked this post:
1320 (09-20-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 12:26 AM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Diminished Value

Thanks TGCRUN; I appreciate hearing about your experience.

I am still hoping that someone will comment, either publicly or privately, about the process they followed to successfully get diminished return on their damaged car.
You may find the below useful. From PCA...
The following 2 users liked this post by breny4104:
1320 (09-20-2021), russbert (09-11-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 08:27 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rk-d
.... I think your estimate sounds ballpark to me. Probably about $15k in parts or so if they replace everything damaged and assuming no structural issue or damage to the suspension. R/R and paint should be more than $5k, so I'd guess $25k-ish.
Thought some of you might be interested in initial estimate for car repairs. The estimate came from a Porsche certified repair facility. RK-D came the closest .. it was $29,577.27!!

FYI ... Replacing ONE PDLS+ headlight was $3,700. He said the matrix lights are $5K apiece!
Old 09-15-2021, 08:49 PM
Autobacs
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts

Thought some of you might be interested in initial estimate for car repairs. The estimate came from a Porsche certified repair facility. RK-D came the closest .. it was $29,577.27!!

FYI ... Replacing ONE PDLS+ headlight was $3,700. He said the matrix lights are $5K apiece!

WOW, Can you let us know if this is going to be covered by insurance as well as whether you will be compensated for the loss of value?
Old 09-15-2021, 09:41 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Sorry to say not surprised. Is there any damage to the skirt? Maybe I'm using a non-US term, I mean the inner fender.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:18 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
...I think the big ticket cost on your repair will be that headlight.

Yikes. Did they say if any of the underlying structure was damaged, or is it all the "bolt-on" parts?

Quick Reply: Do You Think This Will Buff OUT?