Sponsored by:

Do You Think This Will Buff OUT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 07:10 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by russbert
I'm just glad his trailer didn't come "up and over" the top of the frunk!
looking carefully at the pix, i'm not convinced your frunk wasn't damaged. several panels at a minimum, plus whatever's damaged internally. ouch. i'm mad for you.
The following users liked this post:
russbert (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 07:43 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
It really does look like you could have thread the needle to the right to avoid without having to leave the roadway/shoulder. These things happen instantly, and I'm sure you regret not having done x, y, z. And frankly, you shouldn't have had to - that fellow shouldn't have been on that road, for sure, and if he was he should have been moving at near 0 speed to go around that bend.

Sorry that happened. All the it's a car and thank god you're not hurt crap wouldn't make me feel better at all. I'd be steaming pissed and out for blood.
Yes, it happened fast and even though I'm reasonably familiar with the road and knew of the severe drop off of the right shoulder (you still can't really see it at the end of the video), my first reaction was to gauge the length of the trailer, then it was how much is it going to come into my lane, next was .. if I kept driving I figured (assumed) that I was likely to hit his trailer at speed which would have looked like a) I wasn't paying attention, and b) it would have set off all of the airbags (they didn't because I wasn't moving). Also the dip of the curve, which is a downward 180 degree turn, is not really shown by the video and by that time the only option I had left was to stop.

The ONLY thing I regret I have is NOT taking a different way home which I had considered about 10 minutes prior but it would have taken me 25 minutes further out of my way (and while normally that would be a good thing), I was on my way to meet my wife for lunch. That "savings" of 25 minutes wound up costing me 3.5 hours on the mountain (1 waiting for state trooper because I was close to the county line and over 2 more waiting on a tow truck to get to my remote spot).
dhirm5 (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 07:45 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dhirm5
looking carefully at the pix, i'm not convinced your frunk wasn't damaged. several panels at a minimum, plus whatever's damaged internally. ouch. i'm mad for you.
It is definitely shifted!

Old 09-09-2021, 08:33 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 597 Likes on 265 Posts

It is definitely shifted!

So very unfortunate. Glad you are ok. Everything else can be fixed, even if it is a major hassle. One of my cars is a 2015 BMW M235 Coupe. In the first month of ownership a dated minivan (with underinsured driver) took me out by merging into my lane. The entire drivers side was scratched up and dented. While only cosmetic and repaired without any blemish remaining, I was super upset at the time.
russbert (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 08:55 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,138 Likes on 607 Posts

That just sucks!,at least he didnt hit the wheel so the suspension and sub frame maybe ok. doubt if the tub got bent either, fender ,door ,hood all bolt on no welding.. a good shop should be able to bring it back. carl
russbert (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 09:51 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 4carl
That just sucks!,at least he didnt hit the wheel so the suspension and sub frame maybe ok. doubt if the tub got bent either, fender ,door ,hood all bolt on no welding.. a good shop should be able to bring it back. carl
Thanks Carl, that's my hope. It is at Harper's Collision (bought from Harper's Porsche) and they have 30 years of repairing Porsche's so I am hopeful. But I also had my SA put me on the allocation list ... just in case.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:12 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,138 Likes on 607 Posts

20 years ago when I moved to Santa Barbara I had a 993TT. Went down to Starbucks to get a cuppa coffee. Didn’t want to park the car in the lot because I didn’t want a door ding. So I parked it on the street. Standing in line for a latte I hear a terrible crash I look outside my car is now sitting pushed over the side of the road two wheels broken off . The guy that hit it had no license or insurance. $68,000 of damage I sold the to the body shop for 50 . so I got my money back. It was just a bad day. I can identify what you’re going through really a pain in the ***. Carl

Last edited by 4carl; 09-09-2021 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:29 PM
Budman1
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

So sorry that happened to your beautiful 992. Good thing you had a dash cam.
russbert (09-10-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 10:33 PM
Yojeffo
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 132 Posts

i have a rear camera on my cab. Location Location Location.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:43 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,266 Likes on 638 Posts

oh man this is heartbreaking footage.... obviously things could always be much worse but this blows that you have to deal with this now.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:01 PM
achilleas101
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 95 Posts

ugggghhhh that sucks man. Glad you're OK, and hopefully they'll fix it good as new. your loaner car will make you miss the 911 even more. 😁
Old 09-10-2021, 12:23 AM
Autobacs
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts

That makes me cringe OP. So sorry about your car. Never cross my mind before on the front camera. What prompted you to have the camera in the first place? Now I'm thinking about getting one. Definitely make yourself whole on the loss of resale value. Get it fixed and then sell it and get a brand spanking new 911 to enjoy for 2022.

Best of luck to you.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:45 AM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

I’m sorry about your car. Definitely ruins your day. Just to keep things in context 1. You weren’t hurt. 2. No one else was hurt. 3. The collision could have been far worse. 4. In the grand scheme of things, the repair will be fairly straight forward and done by professionals that I assume are done by a Porsche-certified collision center given the affiliation with your Porsche dealer. 5. You weren’t at fault, and as such, your insurance won’t skyrocket. 6. You have video evidence proving you are not at fault and proving the other driver was at fault. 7. Your car is guards red, a non metallic, so mixing/matching paint will be as easy as they come. 8. As long as the collision center can source OEM parts promptly, you should be back in possession of your car quickly.
The following 2 users liked this post by ryandarr1979:
AlexCeres (09-10-2021), russbert (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 01:17 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

Sorry to read and see this.

The only downside is that the damage wasn't any worse. If it was, you would've been able to total the car and get a new one.
dhirm5 (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 07:54 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

No insult taken. Actually what you can't see (fortunately I could) is how much the road dropped off on my side which would have caused serious damage to the undercarriage and would have been "my" fault since he would not have stopped (since he didn't even bother to look in his mirrors coming up). I couldn't go into reverse (one minor negative on a MT) since letting off the clutch (ASSUMING I could get it into reverse fast enough) would have caused me to roll into him as well since I was pointed downhill on a fairly steep decline.

It will be interesting to see just how much this set of repairs will cost in the end. I'm guessing $20K, plus or minus given what could be damaged underneath (intercooler, etc.) I just wonder how many months it will take to get the parts to fix it. I have already added my name to the LIST for another allocation ... should I need it OR choose to go that route.
What a bummer. Sorry you're dealing with it. Sitting there watching your car get destroyed by other people's incompetence is infuriating.

I think your estimate sounds ballpark to me. Probably about $15k in parts or so if they replace everything damaged and assuming no structural issue or damage to the suspension. R/R and paint should be more than $5k, so I'd guess $25k-ish.

The impact wasn't enough to trigger the airbags, so probably no significant structural damage to the tub, otherwise it could arguably become a total loss.

Good luck. Make sure everything is done at a certified Porsche collision repair facility.
russbert (09-10-2021)

Quick Reply: Do You Think This Will Buff OUT?