Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on buying 992 C2S w/o Sport Chrono at good (?) price

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2021 | 12:45 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by readydiverone
Very interesting, can you elaborate please?
Any 992 911 without Sport Chrono has a Sport Button or it can be accessed via the PCM. If you don't have a Sport Button, you can config a Diamond user button for the Sport Button.

On the Manual Sport Chrono is:
  • Analog and digital chronograph – a chronograph installed on top of the dashboard that can be used for timing laps, and can be configured as a clock when not actively used as a stopwatch.
  • Mode switch on the steering wheel – vehicles without the Sport Chrono Package feature Normal and Sport modes, selectable via a SPORT button on the dashboard. Adding the Sport Chrono Package moves the SPORT button from the dashboard to an additional mode switch on the steering wheel, allowing drivers to select from multiple drive modes:
WET mode
– NORMAL mode
– SPORT mode
– SPORT PLUS mode
– Individual mode
  • PSM Sport mode – briefly pressing (< 1 second) the PSM button on the dashboard activates the PSM Sport mode. In this mode, the driver can push closer to the limit range of the vehicle while PSM remains constantly active in the background. PSM Sport mode can be activated independently of the selected driving mode.
  • Rev-match function – in conjunction with Manual Transmission, the Sport Chrono package provides a rev-match function in both SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes, matching engine RPM to transmission speed for smooth downshifts.
  • Porsche Active Driveline Mounts – In Normal mode, magnetorheological driveline mounts remain soft to minimize perceptible vibration of the drivetrain. With SPORT mode switched on, the mounts stiffen for driveline dynamics suiting a sporty driving style. With SPORT PLUS mode switched on, driveline mounts stiffen further for maximum performance.
  • Tire Temperature Display - Individual tire temperatures can be displayed in the instrument cluster TFT to provide more information to the driver during sporty driving.
  • The Porsche Track Precision App - Enables the driver to enjoy even more intense driving experiences and document them too. The app allows the detailed recording, display and analysis of driving data on a smartphone. Lap times can automatically be stopped and compared on a smartphone using a precise GPS signal in the PCM or manually using the operating lever of the Sport Chrono Package. The Track Precision app is included for three years with the option to extend through the Porsche Connect Store.
PDK Adds:
  • Launch control – the launch control function manages engine, gearbox, and stability control systems to provide the quickest standing-start acceleration. This function is only available on vehicles equipped with the PDK gearbox.
  • Sport Response – button added to the PDK selector know for added 20 second boost of power.

This video actually explains why the poster decided against Sport Chrono and is a good overview.

Old 08-31-2021 | 10:59 PM
phila12180
Racer

Originally Posted by Onami
Interesting discussion. I’m specing my base 992 order and I am totally on the fence about sport chrono and sport exhaust. I’m sure I would like them at times, just not sure I would use them enough to justify the costs. I’ll never track the car.
I ordered my first Porsche and first 911 C2 back in March I ordered the car without Sport Chrono or Sports Exhaust. I have never had them and have not driven a car with them so not missing anything. FOR ME the car is just fine I LOVE the car and it is plenty fast enough for me, I feel that SC is a gimmick I would use when I first got the car and then would hardly ever use. My not getting these two options I saved myself close to $6,000. As regards to resale I intend to keep the car for about 10 years and I didn't buy it for the next guy.
The following 2 users liked this post by phila12180:
marrast (08-31-2021), readydiverone (09-01-2021)
Old 08-31-2021 | 11:04 PM
phila12180
Racer

Originally Posted by NavierStokes
Today I was offered an opportunity to buy a low mileage 2020 C2S for $129k w/o Sport Chrono but a decent amount of other options like ACC, LKA, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Leather, Ventilated Seats. Ideally I would have liked to have SC, ACC, LCA, Sport Exhaust, and comfort access but $129k seems like a good price to me. If $129k really is a good deal, should I snap it up knowing it's missing Sport Chrono? I've never owned a 911 before so this would be my first one and I haven't had the opportunity to drive a 911 with SC so I'm not sure if I would have buyer's remorse later.

Thanks in advance for your help all!
I tend to completely agree with the comments of "readydiverone". I took delivery of my car back in June and I ordered it without SC and I love the car. I know this is a very unpopular opinion with most people here.
The following users liked this post:
readydiverone (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021 | 09:02 AM
readydiverone
Racer

Well, obviously I'm going to "like" the last two posts!

Separately, @3rdpedal thanks very much for the great break down of features. But I'm still not sure precisely how SC would work with the manual. Does it change the rev range at which one must shift? And I thought the rev-match function came with the manual, is that not right? Finally, can you repost the video, it won't play. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2021 | 09:27 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Separately, @3rdpedal thanks very much for the great break down of features. But I'm still not sure precisely how SC would work with the manual. Does it change the rev range at which one must shift? And I thought the rev-match function came with the manual, is that not right? Finally, can you repost the video, it won't play. Thanks!
Auto rev match only comes with SC. Porsche now offers SC free if you choose the 7MT.
readydiverone (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021 | 03:27 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

No. It's a manual, not an auto. You (the driver) are 100% in control. SC in a manual is largely moot apart from the re-match function, the steering wheel dial, and the addition of Sport+. Yes you also get the other SC features, like the fancy engine mounts, but 99.9% of the time they're just words on a spec sheet.

Last edited by aggie57; 09-01-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2021 | 06:13 PM
readydiverone
Racer

Thanks. As I said in an earlier post, “get the manual and then YOU are the Sport Chrono!”
aggie57 (09-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on buying 992 C2S w/o Sport Chrono at good (?) price