Sponsored by:

Critique my build! 992 Cabriolet S

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 10:17 AM
readydiverone
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Critique my build! 992 Cabriolet S

Hi, all. Here is the code to my dream car PNWCF4U4. I would love any and all feedback--what am I missing, what don't I need, what is stupid!!

I currently own a base level Gentian Blue 992 cab and absolutely love it, so the idea would be--when things cool off a little--to trade that one and get this one. A couple of notes:
--I am committed to Gentian Blue (which is amazing and for which I always get oohs and aahs), manual transmission, and of course convertible.
--I currently have the stock beige interior but previously had a blue BMW 335 conv with black interior and loved it, hence on this one have gone with black leather with chalk stitching--is stupid expensive though.
--Can someone explain to me the sport exhaust and tailpipe thing? As you know, it comes with the manual but I'm not sure I understand the various options.
--I've pretty much decided against any of the Sport body work as I do like the regular bodywork.
--I could lose the GT steering wheel.
--I've gone for the Rear Axle steering--again stupid expensive, worth it?
--Finally, having seen the video about how the 992 is built, I'll probably do ED in Stuttgart so ignore Leipzig, is that right?
Thanks and very much look forward to input, thoughts, etc.

Last edited by readydiverone; 08-25-2021 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Deleting youtube videos
Old 08-25-2021, 11:14 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by readydiverone
Hi, all. Here is the code to my dream car PNWCF4U4. I would love any and all feedback--what am I missing, what don't I need, what is stupid!!

I currently own a base level Gentian Blue 992 cab and absolutely love it, so the idea would be--when things cool off a little--to trade that one and get this one. A couple of notes:
--I am committed to Gentian Blue (which is amazing and for which I always get oohs and aahs), manual transmission, and of course convertible.
--I currently have the stock beige interior but previously had a blue BMW 335 conv with black interior and loved it, hence on this one have gone with black leather with chalk stitching--is stupid expensive though.
--Can someone explain to me the sport exhaust and tailpipe thing? As you know, it comes with the manual but I'm not sure I understand the various options.
--I've pretty much decided against any of the Sport body work as I do like the regular bodywork.
--I could lose the GT steering wheel.
--I've gone for the Rear Axle steering--again stupid expensive, worth it?
--Finally, having seen the video about how the 992 is built, I'll probably do ED in Stuttgart so ignore Leipzig, is that right?
Thanks and very much look forward to input, thoughts, etc.
I also have a 7MT Gent Blue C2S Cab on order.

My thought on the sport design is that it is more dramatic with light colours, (for better or worse, depending on your tastes.)

RWS: After some test drives and some feedback from other posters on a thread I started, I’ve added it to my build.

Black leather w/ chalk: Up to you. Color choices are subjective. It certainly won’t clash. (I’m leaning towards Graph Blue with chalk stitching myself.)

I’ve opted for PSE in black. AFAIK, it doesn’t come standard with the manual. Maybe you are thinking of Sport Chrono?

ETA: woops. Just saw your build code in your post.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:28 AM
readydiverone
Racer

Thanks. What is PSE?
Old 08-25-2021, 11:38 AM
chemsales
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice build.

Porsche Sport Exhaust
Old 08-25-2021, 11:44 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Maybe if you track get RWS. I found that I didn't notice it on a 991.2 C4S or a M850iX in street use, so I'm not a fan. Another thing that can fail $$$
Old 08-25-2021, 11:53 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,098 Likes on 2,995 Posts

I would ditch the "Protection Film - Front" and get PPF installed by a local reputable shop. They'll do a nicer job and use nicer film. You'll also want them to protect those mirrors, because there's a reason that Porsche does the lower mirror trim in black plastic -- prone to rocks/chipping.

The rest is fine. Nice build. If you live in a place where it gets cold, you might consider the heated GT wheel if you're opting for the GT wheel anyway.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:10 PM
readydiverone
Racer

Thanks, these are all great suggestions. Re PSE: the option offered with the manual is "Sport Exhaust System incl. Tailpipes in Black" or silver. I'm not paying extra for it so all good, yes? Re the RWS--this does seem like a tough call. I don't intend to track it (more than once or twice) so maybe not. As you say, it's expensive and one more thing to fail. Finally, good point re the ppf, will do locally. And yeah, should probably throw in the heated steering wheel.

Any thoughts on how on earth I should approach the problem of getting in line for an allocation, negotiating a price on the new car and on the trade-in (hard to do latter given that trade is far in future, I would imagine)?

Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 12:13 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 158 Posts

I love the RAS on my C4S. Makes the car feel/handle much smaller than it is. Great for negotiating tighter parking lots, driveways, and feels so stable at speed on highways.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:23 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Any thoughts on how on earth I should approach the problem of getting in line for an allocation, negotiating a price on the new car and on the trade-in (hard to do latter given that trade is far in future, I would imagine)?

Thanks again.
You're going to have to call around and seek an allocation or put in a demand order and bide your time. Some dealers will take the trade now, mine did. I doubt there will be negotiation on the price but you will find one at MSRP. Good luck - it will be worth the wait.
Old 08-25-2021, 01:02 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,799 Likes on 947 Posts

I have a C2S Coupe - Gentian Blue, Black leather w Chalk Stitching and Deviated Seat Centers in Chalk.

7 speed manual with Sport Chrono, Sport Package (PSE and SPASM), RWS (RAS), standard Heated Steering Wheel (I don't care for the GT wheel), standard body work.
Old 08-25-2021, 01:12 PM
readydiverone
Racer

Thanks, yeah, I'm not sure about the fatter GT steering wheel. My Beemer had one and I loved it and felt when I bought the 992 that the wheel was a little thin but now I love it so who knows...
Old 08-25-2021, 01:33 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,799 Likes on 947 Posts

Thanks, yeah, I'm not sure about the fatter GT steering wheel. My Beemer had one and I loved it and felt when I bought the 992 that the wheel was a little thin but now I love it so who knows...
The GT wheel has little screws all over the corners of the arms. To me it makes it look more like a toy. I like the cleaner look of the regular wheel. Others have said the fatter GT wheel also obscures more of the already somewhat obscured outer dials of the digital instrument cluster.
Old 08-25-2021, 01:54 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Also I’d consider the premium package since you’ve spec’ed out most of it in your build. Porsche ventilated seats are the best in the business if that matters at all to you. Much better than BMW offers (since you are familiar with the brand). Surround view that pp has is great.
Old 08-25-2021, 01:56 PM
readydiverone
Racer

Soooo glad I posted this. Sounds like the GT wheel is a loser--can I still get a heated steering wheel? And, yes, was thinking should just go ahead and get the PP. Thanks!!!
Old 08-25-2021, 04:02 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

Thanks again.
Wait, you don't have an allocation yet?

Get one first, and then come back regarding specs.

Otherwise, all of this is purely hypothetical at best, and conjecture at worst.

Quick Reply: Critique my build! 992 Cabriolet S