Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Geez, dude, rough night or something?
The following users liked this post:
icanthelpit (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 04:23 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts

I think it good to have a build code ready, that way when you get a demand the SA will set it up in the system and when the dealer gets you an allocation you are ready to go.
Old 08-25-2021, 04:32 PM
readydiverone
Racer

Thanks. I'm obviously new to Porsche, what do you mean "when you get a demand"??
Old 08-25-2021, 04:37 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

Originally Posted by readydiverone
Geez, dude, rough night or something?
No, it's just that allocations these days are extremely hard to come by.

You may be looking at months before a dealer will have a configurable allocation for you.

And I say, "you," because there are often people waiting in the queue for allocations.

So the biggest hurdle isn't configuring your C2S Cab, or even negotiating a discount, it's actually getting an allocation.

You can thank the pandemic and the related chip shortage.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 04:38 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts

The way it usually works is that you put a deposit down which creates a demand for an order. Eventually you will get an allocation that is a real order with a projected delivery date.
Old 08-25-2021, 04:50 PM
readydiverone
Racer

Mark S, thanks for the explanation. Ipse Dixit, I am very aware of the shortage of cars but since I already have a 992 cab that I love I can wait, so it seems to make sense to start that process sooner rather than later, no?
Old 08-25-2021, 04:51 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark S
I think it good to have a build code ready, that way when you get a demand the SA will set it up in the system and when the dealer gets you an allocation you are ready to go.
Indeed. Models and trims vary by popularity. Better to get in line sooner than later.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:04 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 597 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by readydiverone
Thanks. I'm obviously new to Porsche, what do you mean "when you get a demand"??
V070 - Order demand created (your order is recognized by Porsche systems, but you do not have an allocation, i.e. production slot / car secured)
V200 - Your order has been accepted, i.e. you do have a car production slot / allocation for a custom spec secured.

It is helpful to have already your Porsche Code set up, as it speeds things up (you can still change things later up to a defined order freeze point).

In my case (C2S Cab) I took a few weeks to play around with the configurator and then handed the Porsche code to two dealers. It took three months until one came through with an allocation.

Last edited by German1967; 08-25-2021 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:52 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
No, it's just that allocations these days are extremely hard to come by.

You may be looking at months before a dealer will have a configurable allocation for you.

And I say, "you," because there are often people waiting in the queue for allocations.

So the biggest hurdle isn't configuring your C2S Cab, or even negotiating a discount, it's actually getting an allocation.

You can thank the pandemic and the related chip shortage.
Dealers will take orders now and enter a build into the Porsche system. This action creates the demand order. If you are trying to do business with a dealer that will not create a demand order you should move on. They will take a trade and/or deposit with the demand (V070 status) order. This is the single best way Porsche understands demand for particular vehicles.

Depending on multiple things, you may wait a long or short period of time before you get your allocation. The allocations dealers get are just that- the dealers. They dole them out as they see fit. A past business relationship with a particular dealer for example will typically put you earlier in the line than a first time buyer.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

Originally Posted by icanthelpit
Dealers will take orders now and enter a build into the Porsche system. This action creates the demand order. If you are trying to do business with a dealer that will not create a demand order you should move on. They will take a trade and/or deposit with the demand (V070 status) order. This is the single best way Porsche understands demand for particular vehicles.

Depending on multiple things, you may wait a long or short period of time before you get your allocation. The allocations dealers get are just that- the dealers. They dole them out as they see fit. A past business relationship with a particular dealer for example will typically put you earlier in the line than a first time buyer.
This was the case in the past.

I really don't think inputting a bunch of V70s in the system will get either the dealer (or you the buyer) an allocation any quicker nowadays. Porsche already knows there's demand, and probably more demand than they can meet even without looking at the number of V70s.

Quick Reply: Critique my build! 992 Cabriolet S