Paying over MSRP?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 11:22 PM
DamnThat911Fast
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paying over MSRP?

Hello Forum Members,

I'm interested in purchasing a new 911 carrera S. I live in LA and supply is scarce. I'm being quoted between $10K - $20K above MSRP and allocations are still hard to come by.

Is this normal?
Old 08-17-2021, 11:35 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 706 Likes on 278 Posts

lots of other threads on this topic. Yes, normal for now although if you search nationally you will find MSRP.
The following users liked this post:
Kurac (08-18-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 11:43 PM
jhardy
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DamnThat911Fast
Hello Forum Members,

I'm interested in purchasing a new 911 carrera S. I live in LA and supply is scarce. I'm being quoted between $10K - $20K above MSRP and allocations are still hard to come by.

Is this normal?
Try Porsche Ontario. Ran into same issue. Secured a Nov C2S allocation spot at MSRP when everyone else wanted ADM. Or look nationally and do the Porsche delivery experience.
dashanin (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 01:33 AM
luckycanine
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

If you're in LA, calling nationally and requesting PEC LA delivery is no brainer. Should be MSRP.
The following 2 users liked this post by luckycanine:
Go Bruins (08-18-2021), Macsalad (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 01:56 AM
Crayon
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DamnThat911Fast
Hello Forum Members,

Is this normal?
we just ordered a 4 GTS this weekend as dealer had a slot for November. We actually went in to buy an in stock 4S but they’d sold 3 of those and the 2 showroom S models in the few days before we went in. We did a deal with them to allow them to keep car in showroom and use as a ‘light’ demonstrator until Spring. They were desperate to have a car in the showroom so we landed on 8% discount. This may be worth considering. Do a deal so they can at least have in showroom. For a bit?

the dealers are desperate for stock. My dealership in Germany now has no 992 to sell or show customers after selling all this stuff last week.
rappy992 (08-25-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 12:00 PM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 256 Posts

You are in much better shape than others. Just pay for PEC-LA delivery. It's basically free, as you get the 90-minute driver course for the same price that you'd pay normally. Plus, you get a tour of the facility, dinner at the fabulous 917 restaurant, and delivery of your new 911 that is fantastic. But don't take my word for it, just search this forum for PEC delivery and you'll get plenty of posts from those who have done it. So, just order your 911 from anywhere in the US, and pick it up down the road. that's what I'm doing. I live in SoCal, and my dealership is in PA. Easy peasy!
Macsalad (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 12:34 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,199 Likes on 1,373 Posts

I'm a noob here completely and am trying to glean as much info on this topic as possible. What I'm wondering is do you still need to hit up the dealer if you're ordering PEC-Atlanta? I'm in NY (Buffalo) and doesn't matter where a recommended dealer is that can assist, any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:39 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
I'm a noob here completely and am trying to glean as much info on this topic as possible. What I'm wondering is do you still need to hit up the dealer if you're ordering PEC-Atlanta? I'm in NY (Buffalo) and doesn't matter where a recommended dealer is that can assist, any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Yes you have to go through a dealer.

You spec it in your build once you really put in an order (get in line anyway) with the dealer you end up going with. It's simply an "option" you spec.

Check it out on the Porsche configurator if you have not seen that yet:
Porsche Car Configurator - Porsche USA

Last edited by icanthelpit; 08-18-2021 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:42 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icanthelpit
Yes you have to go through a dealer.

You spec it in your build once you really put in an order (get in line anyway) with the dealer you end up going with. It's simply an "option" you spec.

Check it out on the Porsche configurator if you have not seen that yet:
Porsche Car Configurator - Porsche USA
I've built the car in the configurator, I just haven't hit the "Send to Dealer" button yet because I don't want to send to one that is going to gouge me. I don't mind paying MSRP, just not over that.

My build: 911 CS

Last edited by Scott P; 08-18-2021 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:47 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,799 Likes on 947 Posts

I've built the car in the configurator, I just haven't hit the "Send to Dealer" button yet because I don't want to send to one that is going to gouge me. I don't mind paying MSRP, just not over that.

Nice build. Way to keep it simple. Many get caught up on adding a lot of options which of course drives up the price. One suggestion, drop the PDCC. Most agree that except on a Targa, PDCC is not necessary on a 911.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:48 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Have you contacted any dealers - settle on that too and ask them if the deal is retail or not up front and get it in writing at the time you put down a deposit (very doubtful you will get a discount in the near future). Larger dealers get more allocation but also have more demand. My dealer distributes allocations based on past history with them (ex. cars you have previously purchased/leased from them, service history with them).
Old 08-18-2021, 12:54 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
Nice build. Way to keep it simple. Many get caught up on adding a lot of options which of course drives up the price. One suggestion, drop the PDCC. Most agree that except on a Targa, PDCC is not necessary on a 911.
Appreciate the tip on PDCC, I added it to accommodate a wife who has a tendency to be kinda sensitive at times.

Originally Posted by icanthelpit
Have you contacted any dealers - settle on that too and ask them if the deal is retail or not up front and get it in writing at the time you put down a deposit (very doubtful you will get a discount in the near future). Larger dealers get more allocation but also have more demand. My dealer distributes allocations based on past history with them (ex. cars you have previously purchased/leased from them, service history with them).
I have not contacted any dealers and have no past history with a Porsche dealer at all. I can get past not getting a discount of any sort which is laughable in this market for sure. I am not trading in a vehicle either to purchase this 911 which will be a cash deal.
Old 08-18-2021, 01:04 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 706 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
Completely agree - drop the PDCC. There is no objectionable body roll on the 911S, even at normal suspension setting.

Rear wheel steering however, is a great option that I appreciate every day.
The following 2 users liked this post by SBAD:
3rdpedal (08-18-2021), Scott P (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 01:49 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Go Bruins
You are in much better shape than others. Just pay for PEC-LA delivery. It's basically free, as you get the 90-minute driver course for the same price that you'd pay normally. Plus, you get a tour of the facility, dinner at the fabulous 917 restaurant, and delivery of your new 911 that is fantastic. But don't take my word for it, just search this forum for PEC delivery and you'll get plenty of posts from those who have done it. So, just order your 911 from anywhere in the US, and pick it up down the road. that's what I'm doing. I live in SoCal, and my dealership is in PA. Easy peasy!
And you have Circle Porsche just down the road, so service needs taken care of too.
Old 08-18-2021, 05:12 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,799 Likes on 947 Posts

There is a dealer near me that has been buying up used 2020 and 2021 992s and is selling them for over original MSRP. They have a 2021 C2S Manual Transmission for $174k.

Quick Reply: Paying over MSRP?