Sponsored by:

A few GTS questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 06:17 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts
Default A few GTS questions

I have a few questions and thought I's toss them up to discuss .

1) Has anyone ordered the GTS interior package ? I have it on my current 991.2 and love it . The difference with the new one is the tachometer and sport Chrono are either chalk or carmine . I am uncertain how that might look in person. Has anyone ordered color dials ?

2) Sunroof - I have noticed on the recent drives thread that glass roof and rear window don't match up . I saw a few mention that they opted for the "steel roof " . Porsche does offer a steel sunroof but I was wondering if they meant no sunroof . I am leaning towards no sunroof . Any thoughts on this ?

3) Motorsport stripe . My official build is a white car so far . I have been back and forth with silver (both dolomite and Gt) . I loved the pics of Gt silver and if so the silver stripe looks subtle . Has anyone opted for this ?

4) I have been driving around on my 997.1 Turbo while my 991.2 is in the shop . The older car is full leather no ventilated seats . In fact it's black on black . It's hotter than race tex but I find the ventilated seats are somewhat useless . Race tex solves it but every modern full leather car I have seen seems to opt for the seat ventilation . Has anyone ditched that option on a full leather car ?

Thanks in advance . I look forward to the comments .

Last edited by yrralis1; 08-17-2021 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:06 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 210 Posts

1) After much internal deliberation, I went full black leather with chalk stitching, white tach, despite some complaints I've read here about it being hard to see during the day, black chrono. Chalk isn't an option without the package. on the GTS, not sure on other trims. I know some did colored tach/chrono and some have said the glare from the chrono can sometimes be distracting on the windshield with lighter colors. Like most visual options, very personal.

2. Church and state, but maybe not quite as bad as manual vs. PDK. I love the glass roof and wouldn't have a 992 without it. Steel or no sunroof could possibly give you more choices on the interior?

3. Only comment is its not for me.

4. I did not opt for ventilated seats in my 992 after rarely using them in my Macan Turbo in LA. I don't feel like I'm missing them, but have added them to my GTS build as I'm planning to spend more time in the near future back in the desert heat. By all accounts, the 992 ventilated seats are great, a few threads on them here.
The following users liked this post:
yrralis1 (08-18-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 02:29 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
4) I have been driving around on my 997.1 Turbo while my 991.2 is in the shop . The older car is full leather no ventilated seats . In fact it's black on black . It's hotter than race tex but I find the ventilated seats are somewhat useless . Race tex solves it but every modern full leather car I have seen seems to opt for the seat ventilation . Has anyone ditched that option on a full leather car ?
If the ventilated seats are anything like in 991.2, and I understand they are, they're fantastic. I wouldn't spec a car without them. Nothing better on a hot summer day. It can get pretty swampy in the DC area and the ventilated seats keep your backside clean and dry.
The following 3 users liked this post by dhirm5:
doug_999 (08-18-2021), Tedster (08-20-2021), yrralis1 (08-18-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 03:05 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,995 Likes on 812 Posts

When people say "steel" roof, I think they are generally talking about no sunroof. I would definitely go with no sunroof as I virtually never used my sunroof and won't miss it. The only reason why I spec'd a sunroof in my car is because I want the ability to install a roof rack and the 2021s requires a sunroof for this whereas on the 2022s, you can choose the $60 roof transport option and be able to install a roof rack without equipping a sunroof.

With respect to ventilated seats, I live in AZ where it's crazy hot and they are incredible. Up to this point, I never had a car with ventilated seats and never felt I needed them. However, now that I have them on my 992, I am floored by how effective they are in almost immediately cooling your back, butt and legs even when the car is over 120 degrees on the inside. Being in FL, I'm sure you'd find ventilated seats useful. It will also help from a resale perspective if you live in a hot area. The 992 ventilated seats actually work, unlike some of the other seats from other manufacturers where you can barely tell anything is going on. In fact, even when its 110-120 degrees, I virtually never have them on full blast and have to turn them down to mid or low b/c it gets too cold.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
dhirm5 (08-17-2021), Scott P (08-21-2021), yrralis1 (08-18-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 03:54 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,534 Posts

I've always read 'steel roof' as being the steel sunroof, if someone means no sunroof my experience is that they generally say that or - if they come from earlier generations where sunroof was standard - 'sunroof delete'.
yrralis1 (08-18-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 05:01 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 956 Posts

I don't care for the look of the glass sunroof, mainly because I don't like the black strips in front and behind the actual glass.

This is no sunroof

This is the steel sunroof which many agree is pointless. Looks good but doesn't add light or do anything but open.

This is the glass roof which adds the black strips and makes an odd aesthetic where the a pillar comes up and widens along the roof.

If they had done this, I would have opted for the glass roof.

I went Gentian Blue so my roof would have looked like this, if the strips were steel but with a glass roof.
yrralis1 (08-18-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 05:04 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

i like the black strips more than the non black.
Old 08-17-2021, 05:28 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I don't care for the look of the glass sunroof, mainly because I don't like the black strips in front and behind the actual glass.

This is no sunroof

This is the steel sunroof which many agree is pointless. Looks good but doesn't add light or do anything but open.

This is the glass roof which adds the black strips and makes an odd aesthetic where the a pillar comes up and widens along the roof.

I went Gentian Blue so my roof would have looked like this, if the strips were steel but with a glass roof.
Unless you live in a high UV area and are challenged in the hair loss department. The shade on the pano / glass roof doesn't block all the UV, on any sort of trip your head gets burnt. We have two cars with them and I have to wear a cap driving them during the day.

Being able to crack open the rear of the steel sunroof during the day and open the roof fully in the morning or evening is a perfect solution.

Last edited by aggie57; 08-17-2021 at 05:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
Mark S (08-18-2021), yrralis1 (08-18-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 05:44 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
i like the black strips more than the non black.
I think it looks plastic and cheap, personally.

Originally Posted by aggie57
Unless you live in a high UV area and are challenged in the hair loss department. The shade on the pano / glass roof doesn't block all the UV, on any sort of trip your head gets burnt. We have two cars with them and I have to wear a cap driving them during the day.

Being able to crack open the rear of the steel sunroof during the day and open the roof fully in the morning or evening is a perfect solution.
Noted. Makes sense.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:23 AM
SBAD
Pro

Received 708 Likes on 278 Posts

This is no sunroof

I have the steel sunroof. I got it precisely because when I hit the button, it opens which lets air and light in. I didn't realize that is a useless function
rouxeny (08-20-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 01:06 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

This is no sunroof

How often do you see/look at your car from that viewpoint? The top of my car never crosses my mind except for when I’m cleaning it and I still really don’t notice those black strips or that it’s slightly more narrow than the front/back glass.

Last edited by slwong23; 08-18-2021 at 01:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by slwong23:
Tedster (08-20-2021), yrralis1 (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 04:31 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

Thanks for the replies . A lot of good stuff has been pointed out . This build has become almost like a part time job with all the hours on the configurator . Each day I get closer even though my dealership has a build and a deposit (not ordered or locked ) . This is where I am ta today on this -

1) GTS package - I never imagined that I would love the leather/alcantara package as much as I have in the last 4 years . I have ventilated seats in my Macan Turbo and had them in 3 others as well as a Cayenne . They were all my wife's car (or our rational all purpose vehicle ). If the car were a Turbo or luxury build I would do it . My biggest concern with the GTS package was the dials . A big red or chalk dial is a new thing for me but I am going to take the risk . I'll get there red if I get the steel brakes and chalk if I get ceramic .

2) Sunroof . I bought my 991.2 GTS off the lot and it had the roof . I never liked sunroofs but this was the first I ever enjoyed . I never opened it but I did like how there glass gave a spacious feel .
When looking at the design I feel there is a flaw in. architecture . It actually was pointed out on the "recent drives" thread by an architect . I feel those slight imperfections as well as it being an actual hole in the roof have to impede performance . On a 155 -165K 911 I think I am going to omit it. I will do no sunroof . I don't know if I will miss not having it but the performance gain and having 2K left in my wallet is pulling me and the roof off .

3) The motorsport stripe - I tended to like the graphics on a few 911's (particularly on a GT silver car) and considered it but I am going to pass.

4) I combined the seat ventilation into number 1 as the GTS package lacks it .

Thanks again !!!
If I break down and go for the ceramics it will look like this
http://www.porsche-code.com/PN3635J3

Last edited by yrralis1; 08-18-2021 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-18-2021, 01:54 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies . A lot of good stuff has been pointed out . This build has become almost like a part time job with all the hours on the configurator . Each day I get closer even though my dealership has a build and a deposit (not ordered or locked ) . This is where I am ta today on this -

1) GTS package - I never imagined that I would love the leather/alcantara package as much as I have in the last 4 years . I have ventilated seats in my Macan Turbo and had them in 3 others as well as a Cayenne . They were all my wife's car (or our rational all purpose vehicle ). If the car were a Turbo or luxury build I would do it . My biggest concern with the GTS package was the dials . A big red or chalk dial is a new thing for me but I am going to take the risk . I'll get there red if I get the steel brakes and chalk if I get ceramic .

2) Sunroof . I bought my 991.2 GTS off the lot and it had the roof . I never liked sunroofs but this was the first I ever enjoyed . I never opened it but I did like how there glass gave a spacious feel .
When looking at the design I feel there is a flaw in. architecture . It actually was pointed out on the "recent drives" thread by an architect . I feel those slight imperfections as well as it being an actual hole in the roof have to impede performance . On a 155 -165K 911 I think I am going to omit it. I will do no sunroof . I don't know if I will miss not having it but the performance gain and having 2K left in my wallet is pulling me and the roof off .

3) The motorsport stripe - I tended to like the graphics on a few 911's (particularly on a GT silver car) and considered it but I am going to pass.

4) I combined the seat ventilation into number 1 as the GTS package lacks it .

Thanks again !!!
If I break down and go for the ceramics it will look like this
http://www.porsche-code.com/PN3635J3
Just for the record, there is no structural difference between a non-sunroof and a sunroof car outside of the roof itself. The actual body is the same, they just use different inserts in the roof area and different interior trim. Of course there is a weight difference though.

Not suggesting you change your mind (we all build what we want which is good), this is just a FYI.
The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
SBAD (08-19-2021), slwong23 (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 02:14 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

feel free not to spec the roof, but i can't let your performance comment stand. there is nothing about a sunroof that is either an architectural flaw, or impedes performance in any meaningful way. it adds a bit of weight up top - that's it.
Old 08-18-2021, 02:15 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
Just for the record, there is no structural difference between a non-sunroof and a sunroof car outside of the roof itself. The actual body is the same, they just use different inserts in the roof area and different interior trim. Of course there is a weight difference though.

Not suggesting you change your mind (we all build what we want which is good), this is just a FYI.
Good info, thanks for sharing. While it was never a worry on my part, this should alleviate the often heard concern about torsional rigidity if opting for the sunroof.

Quick Reply: A few GTS questions