Rookie and First Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 12:51 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 668 Likes on 434 Posts
Default Rookie and First Porsche

Long time lurker and first time poster.

We have a December allocation with a March/April targeted delivery date (our choice to be around that time frame, which works out great) for a 'base' C2 Cabriolet from Ft Myers, FL, Porsche.

Our short history has been purchase a C7 Corvette last November, sell it for a tidy profit (not our intention) last June, order a C8, GM and the dealer goes off the rails with stupidity, and we just bit the bullet and reach for our halo car and go for it! I fell in love with them back in GB and mainland Europe in the early/mid 1980s and have always wanted one, so here we go!

Here is our build code here (PN2VYMF9). I am open to thoughts, experiences, and ideas and exchanging my thoughts and our "needs" from our viewpoint too.

This will be our grand touring sports car, of sorts, as we want to cruise around SW and S Florida with our two white fluffy girl dogs for weekend outings and zip to the store (wife's idea) while having fun driving the car. We have a 2020 Ford Explorer for Costco trips and overall every day driving and we have a 2020 Mustang (I know, I know...but it does has a supercharger on it for just ridiculous scary eye popping hooliganism acts) for acting like a teenager. Our daughter lives across the peninsula in Ft Lauderdale that we often visit, so we will drive this car, although not a crazy amount of miles, but it will get driven. I am open to thoughts on PPF, maintenance plans, extended warranty etc as we do plan to keep it for quite awhile as well.

I must say, this forum is extremely cool about not being whiny little beyotches like the Corvette forum is...sheesh, they are out of control and hyper sensitive. LOL.
The following 4 users liked this post by PHX:
AlexCeres (08-05-2021), JunoRob (08-07-2021), Noah Fect (08-07-2021), RolandT (08-08-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 12:58 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX

We have a December allocation with a March/April targeted delivery date (our choice to be around that time frame, which works out great) for a 'base' C2 Cabriolet from Ft Myers, FL, Porsche.

Our short history has been purchase a C7 Corvette last November, sell it for a tidy profit (not our intention) last June, order a C8, GM and the dealer goes off the rails with stupidity, and we just bit the bullet and reach for our halo car and go for it! I fell in love with them back in GB and mainland Europe in the early/mid 1980s and have always wanted one, so here we go!

Here is our build code here (PN2VYMF9). I am open to thoughts, experiences, and ideas and exchanging my thoughts and our "needs" from our viewpoint too.

This will be our grand touring sports car, of sorts, as we want to cruise around SW and S Florida with our two white fluffy girl dogs for weekend outings and zip to the store (wife's idea) while having fun driving the car. We have a 2020 Ford Explorer for Costco trips and overall every day driving and we have a 2020 Mustang (I know, I know...but it does has a supercharger on it for just ridiculous scary eye popping hooliganism acts) for acting like a teenager. Our daughter lives across the peninsula in Ft Lauderdale that we often visit, so we will drive this car, although not a crazy amount of miles, but it will get driven. I am open to thoughts on PPF, maintenance plans, extended warranty etc as we do plan to keep it for quite awhile as well.

I must say, this forum is extremely cool about not being whiny little beyotches like the Corvette forum is...sheesh, they are out of
control and hyper sensitive. LOL.
Welcome! Build looks good.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:22 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts

Nice build, looks perfect.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:28 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Build looks good! Nice options, GT like - so nothing to add imo...

I would probably skip the extended warranty (unless you are planning on keeping it a very long time), skip the pre-paid maintenance, unless you really want it. I typically opt for the PPF in the front, front quarters, mirrors and extra on the back hips (porsche will send it with PPF on the back hip area), I have my PPF installer take that off and put the same PPF on the front as on the hips (the Porsche PPF in the past has yellowed a bit after a few years.) You can also get thicker on the back hips as well.

I also do not buy into the wheel maintenance and other stuff they will try and sell at close (fwiw).
The following users liked this post:
Go Bruins (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 02:36 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mark S
Nice build, looks perfect.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by OliverK68
Welcome! Build looks good.
Thank you also!

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
Build looks good! Nice options, GT like - so nothing to add imo...

I would probably skip the extended warranty (unless you are planning on keeping it a very long time), skip the pre-paid maintenance, unless you really want it. I typically opt for the PPF in the front, front quarters, mirrors and extra on the back hips (porsche will send it with PPF on the back hip area), I have my PPF installer take that off and put the same PPF on the front as on the hips (the Porsche PPF in the past has yellowed a bit after a few years.) You can also get thicker on the back hips as well.

I also do not buy into the wheel maintenance and other stuff they will try and sell at close (fwiw).
Thank you and excellent point(s) on the warranties and maintenance. Awesome idea with the back hip area PPF!
Old 08-05-2021, 06:24 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 206 Posts

Welcome! And as others have said, very nice build. A couple thoughts, understanding that all options are very personal:

- Innodrive/ACC/LKA: do you see yourself using Innodrive/ACC frequently? I know you mentioned you were going for a GT sports car and from all accounts, Inno/ACC work well, but they definitely remove some of the driving engagement. It's a 911 after all... I had LKA on my '15 Macan Turbo and ended up turning it off and never using it, didn't like it. This is a pricey option package, so something to think about.
- I like the standard interior trim, it works well with the interior and provides contrast and texture. Leather is nice, but there already is a lot of leather everywhere.
- consider adding the 930 Leather Interior; esp with the drop top, I think this would be a great touch to the interior
- I'm all for PPF/ceramic, never had it until my 992 and am very glad to have done it. I skipped prepaid maintenance, but would consider the tire/rim warranty if I did it again as these tires are magnets for nails/screws. Re: the extended warranty, know that you can buy it later and the companies that offer it (SafeGuard, Fidelity) are largely the same as the one Porsche re-sells, the price is dependent on miles/age of your vehicle. I purchased a 2 year plan on my Macan in Dec '18, about 6 months after the factory warranty expired. It was definitely worthwhile after the factory warranty expired.

Good luck, the wait is the hardest part!
Old 08-05-2021, 08:58 PM
luckycanine
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice build, you are only $12k away from an S with the same build (as opposed the the $15k+ difference in pre-option price). PNR881U5.
PHX (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 10:55 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slwong23
Welcome! And as others have said, very nice build. A couple thoughts, understanding that all options are very personal:

- Innodrive/ACC/LKA: do you see yourself using Innodrive/ACC frequently? I know you mentioned you were going for a GT sports car and from all accounts, Inno/ACC work well, but they definitely remove some of the driving engagement. It's a 911 after all... I had LKA on my '15 Macan Turbo and ended up turning it off and never using it, didn't like it. This is a pricey option package, so something to think about.
- I like the standard interior trim, it works well with the interior and provides contrast and texture. Leather is nice, but there already is a lot of leather everywhere.
- consider adding the 930 Leather Interior; esp with the drop top, I think this would be a great touch to the interior
- I'm all for PPF/ceramic, never had it until my 992 and am very glad to have done it. I skipped prepaid maintenance, but would consider the tire/rim warranty if I did it again as these tires are magnets for nails/screws. Re: the extended warranty, know that you can buy it later and the companies that offer it (SafeGuard, Fidelity) are largely the same as the one Porsche re-sells, the price is dependent on miles/age of your vehicle. I purchased a 2 year plan on my Macan in Dec '18, about 6 months after the factory warranty expired. It was definitely worthwhile after the factory warranty expired.

Good luck, the wait is the hardest part!
Very good input and thank you. It took my quite a few builds to add the ACC/LKA option. I do (and still) think it is because I am lazy and our other two cars have them and I, rather sadly, somewhat rely on them a bit now and my thought process was to continue said laziness. You make a very good point about being a 911 and the driving experience. Excellent point actually. Wife is in love with the chalk interior and that only comes in leather or else standard black interior is fine for me with no fluff inside. I do like the 930 leather package option too and am really on the fence about it as it looks unique and "plushy-er" to me. Good thoughts on the tire/rim warranty and the extended ones as well (I didn't know that Porsche didn't have their own and mainly re-sell those other companies goods). Thank you.

Originally Posted by luckycanine
Nice build, you are only $12k away from an S with the same build (as opposed the the $15k+ difference in pre-option price). PNR881U5.
True...now that I look at the build code you made. Definitely more (argh...lol) to think about! Thank you.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:55 AM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX
Very good input and thank you. It took my quite a few builds to add the ACC/LKA option. I do (and still) think it is because I am lazy and our other two cars have them and I, rather sadly, somewhat rely on them a bit now and my thought process was to continue said laziness. You make a very good point about being a 911 and the driving experience. Excellent point actually. Wife is in love with the chalk interior and that only comes in leather or else standard black interior is fine for me with no fluff inside. I do like the 930 leather package option too and am really on the fence about it as it looks unique and "plushy-er" to me. Good thoughts on the tire/rim warranty and the extended ones as well (I didn't know that Porsche didn't have their own and mainly re-sell those other companies goods). Thank you.

True...now that I look at the build code you made. Definitely more (argh...lol) to think about! Thank you.
I would definitely consider an S for $12k.

Otherwise your build looks great. Might want to consider 930 package to add more flair to the interior. Blue roof could look nice and unique on a gentian blue car but that’s up to you.

I’m in Sarasota and make the Sarasota to Miami drive frequently and the drive is very comfortable even with SPASM on comfort tire pressures. You will definitely love your car! No issues with trips across alligator alley.

Last edited by Master Deep; 08-06-2021 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-06-2021, 02:20 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX
Please don’t get me wrong on the leather int, I’m of the mindset that full leather is a must - I went with Slate Gray w chalk stitching and love it. Perhaps you could save on the leather trim and go with the 930 package if it suits your fancy? And makes sense on the ACC package, those who have it seem to swear by it. Those of us that don’t, I suppose we don’t know what we’re missing, but I never really use regular cruise control as it is on road trips.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:46 AM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Master Deep
I would definitely consider an S for $12k.

Otherwise your build looks great. Might want to consider 930 package to add more flair to the interior. Blue roof could look nice and unique on a gentian blue car but that’s up to you.

I’m in Sarasota and make the Sarasota to Miami drive frequently and the drive is very comfortable even with SPASM on comfort tire pressures. You will definitely love your car! No issues with trips across alligator alley.
Good point on the 930 package and we haven't really thought of the blue top either (wish I could see one with a blue top, but that's probably like finding a unicorn these days). Glad to hear the cruise across alligator alley goes well. Thank you for taking the time to give me input!

Originally Posted by slwong23
Please don’t get me wrong on the leather int, I’m of the mindset that full leather is a must - I went with Slate Gray w chalk stitching and love it. Perhaps you could save on the leather trim and go with the 930 package if it suits your fancy? And makes sense on the ACC package, those who have it seem to swear by it. Those of us that don’t, I suppose we don’t know what we’re missing, but I never really use regular cruise control as it is on road trips.
That makes sense. Slate Gray w/chalk stitching was a very close second for us! You're saying the leather trim option might be better served as shelved and replaced with the 930 package option. Ah, my mistake...we are looking more and more at the 930 option (again, sure do wish I could see one with it inside instead of the configurator's rather weak pics of it, but oh well). Thinking about the ACC portion, we really only have used that feature on the other two vehicle when we were on long road trips (from AZ to VA and then VA to FL) and never used it after that. The ALK portion after thinking why I wanted it, was pure laziness as we have it in the other two vehicles and the C7 Corvette that we sold, did not have it and I found myself drifting (or waiting) for the lane keep to pull me back to center (if that isn't the most lazy thing ever), so just ticked the box out of laziness, not necessity, so there's a point to be made there, similar to the ACC - I can live without it and don't "need" it. Might be a good $3K spend on something else or left in the bank or relegated towards the 930 package. Things to think about! Thanks for helping the thought process move forward!
Old 08-06-2021, 09:36 AM
tomingrassia
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX

I must say, this forum is extremely cool about not being whiny little beyotches like the Corvette forum is...sheesh, they are out of control and hyper sensitive. LOL.
hopefully you wont mind if I tag along and ask for any suggestions to my build for a targa 4S. Build code is
PN3ZET94

PHX (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 12:20 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 428 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX

I'm from your neck of the woods in Bonita Springs and am very familiar with Ft Meyers Porsche. I almost bought a 992 S there about a year ago and should have with all the craziness that has transpired in the car market since. The supercharged GT Coyote you have is a real ball of fun, I have driven one with a Roush TVS and the roll on power is enough to make some people **** themselves. Great vehicle to have. I tried the C8 thing also, waste of time right now along with the C8 section of the Corvette Forum which has been turned into a hate fate fest by a gang of miserable, control freak, moderators. Sounds like you have experienced the same thing in that world.
Hope you enjoy your new 911!
Old 08-06-2021, 04:31 PM
992brian
Advanced

Received 117 Likes on 45 Posts

Great build! similar to my C2 Coupe in some ways so here are my 2 cents. I've had my GB for 3months ~4k miles. GB is gorgeous, its much more noticeably blue than the night blue metallic. I think there are some angles under certain lighting that it looks slightly purple-ish but thats very infrequent here in California. Regardless, GB is a beautiful shade of blue, and if you PPF, it still looks amazing.

Leather interior in slate gray/chalk is very pleasing and personally a favorite with the GB. I've seen the combo in person and its gorgeous. I opted in full leather with chalk stitching because I have a young child..but would've done slate/chalk. Premium package is a personal preference tbh, I didn't go for it as I only wanted toe BOSE. I can see the appeal there, the storage package is kinda tacky though. It looks slightly misplaced or an afterthought design. BOSE is fantastic, I am not an audiophile but enjoy a range of music and I see no problems at all. PDK/SC/Exhaust were musts for me and no regrets at all. The tailpipes in silver were my option for the base wheel colors.

I would recommend testing a C2S with the 20/21 wheels. The 19/20s are comfortable to drive and still has good presence. Personally I was glad I didn't opt for 20/21s in Carrera classic.

Haven't tested the ACC/ALK so can't comment, but regular cruise control works for 3000$ less . I put that to a PPF + ceramic detail.

14 way seats are great for daily use. I think the Sport seat plus would be slightly better for more aggressive driving, but given your use case, the 14's are sufficiently comfy. I had a 4 hour joy ride today in 14s and no pain or aches. I am medium height medium weight so it isn't 'snug' like the 18ways but snug enough.

I did my interior trim inlays in aluminum to break up the black leather /chalk stitching. It was visually something I wanted but dont think it would've been a regret choice for me. coin toss. I wish I ended up doing the headrest crests though but its all good.

I take my car to Costco. It gets fully loaded with all the household stuff and has plenty of space.

Here's my Lucy today driving down highway 1 on route to Santa Cruz Mountains. It was very foggy. GB still blue, unlike previous midnight blue.

added pic

Last edited by 992brian; 08-06-2021 at 04:41 PM.
timjab (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 10:17 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phaser
I'm from your neck of the woods in Bonita Springs and am very familiar with Ft Meyers Porsche. I almost bought a 992 S there about a year ago and should have with all the craziness that has transpired in the car market since. The supercharged GT Coyote you have is a real ball of fun, I have driven one with a Roush TVS and the roll on power is enough to make some people **** themselves. Great vehicle to have. I tried the C8 thing also, waste of time right now along with the C8 section of the Corvette Forum which has been turned into a hate fate fest by a gang of miserable, control freak, moderators. Sounds like you have experienced the same thing in that world.
Hope you enjoy your new 911!
So far we have been very pleased with the Ft Myers Porsche dealings (versus another one closer to us down south, which totally gave us the blow after one visit). LOL, yah the C8 forum is a mess. A ridiculous waste of time where you can't ask questions that might offend the overlords. I gave up on it. I appreciate the response!

Originally Posted by 992brian
Great build! similar to my C2 Coupe in some ways so here are my 2 cents. I've had my GB for 3months ~4k miles. GB is gorgeous, its much more noticeably blue than the night blue metallic. I think there are some angles under certain lighting that it looks slightly purple-ish but thats very infrequent here in California. Regardless, GB is a beautiful shade of blue, and if you PPF, it still looks amazing.

Leather interior in slate gray/chalk is very pleasing and personally a favorite with the GB. I've seen the combo in person and its gorgeous. I opted in full leather with chalk stitching because I have a young child..but would've done slate/chalk. Premium package is a personal preference tbh, I didn't go for it as I only wanted toe BOSE. I can see the appeal there, the storage package is kinda tacky though. It looks slightly misplaced or an afterthought design. BOSE is fantastic, I am not an audiophile but enjoy a range of music and I see no problems at all. PDK/SC/Exhaust were musts for me and no regrets at all. The tailpipes in silver were my option for the base wheel colors.

I would recommend testing a C2S with the 20/21 wheels. The 19/20s are comfortable to drive and still has good presence. Personally I was glad I didn't opt for 20/21s in Carrera classic.

Haven't tested the ACC/ALK so can't comment, but regular cruise control works for 3000$ less . I put that to a PPF + ceramic detail.

14 way seats are great for daily use. I think the Sport seat plus would be slightly better for more aggressive driving, but given your use case, the 14's are sufficiently comfy. I had a 4 hour joy ride today in 14s and no pain or aches. I am medium height medium weight so it isn't 'snug' like the 18ways but snug enough.

I did my interior trim inlays in aluminum to break up the black leather /chalk stitching. It was visually something I wanted but dont think it would've been a regret choice for me. coin toss. I wish I ended up doing the headrest crests though but its all good.

I take my car to Costco. It gets fully loaded with all the household stuff and has plenty of space.

Here's my Lucy today driving down highway 1 on route to Santa Cruz Mountains. It was very foggy. GB still blue, unlike previous midnight blue.
Your car, Lucy, is beautiful and it sounds amazing. Nice pictures as well, thanks for sharing. Sounds like a good idea about the text drive and wheel selection. If I can only find one, I will gladly do that, I appreciate the insight. Good to hear about the seats. Being a pain in the ***, do you have interior pics of your aluminum trim inlays? If not, no worries! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Rookie and First Porsche