Sponsored by:

360 degree dashcam recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 07:26 PM
riwu
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 360 degree dashcam recommendation

Looking to install a 360-degree dashcam that can record continuously while driving/parked (probably need to be connected to battery).
Any recommended camera that would fit in a 992?
Any dealer near NYC that could do the installation job at a good price?
Old 07-25-2021, 12:33 AM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

My suggestion would be to use a Garmin mini camera and plug the USB into a small lithium battery, which incidentally could be used to jumpstart the car if the battery is dead. The lithium battery is charged whenever you run the car if it's plugged into a cigarette lighter.
Antigravity and other companies make such a product.
You can then use a suction cup running one or two cameras stuck to windows to record what's going on when your car is parked an a hinky area.
The upside of this method is no installation cost, relatively inexpensive, and you're not draining your cars battery. You also have the benefit of the backup lithium battery to run devices and jumpstart your car or anyone else's car.

The downside is the minor hassle of having to plug the camera into the battery before you leave your car, or if you choose to take the camera down every time to put it on the rear window or side window with a suction cup.

There are some great YouTube videos of Tesla owners actually catching people after images are submitted to police, who vandalized their cars out of spite using their 360° cameras.

I have two vehicles that have cigarette lighters front and back and run a dash cam as well as a camera pointed rearward to catch the license plate of people do rear end collision and then back up and take off the other direction, or make some wild fallacious claim such as you backed into them, or pulled in front of them suddenly and slammed on the brakes. Ask me how I know.

Last edited by Tompoodie; 07-25-2021 at 12:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tompoodie:
BIGWORM (07-25-2021), Juan.Valencia (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 11:33 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

Check these guys out: blackboxmycar.com.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:01 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Garmini mini's with the hardwire kit is the best solution.
Old 08-08-2021, 12:26 PM
riwu
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
My suggestion would be to use a Garmin mini camera and plug the USB into a small lithium battery, which incidentally could be used to jumpstart the car if the battery is dead. The lithium battery is charged whenever you run the car if it's plugged into a cigarette lighter.
Antigravity and other companies make such a product.
You can then use a suction cup running one or two cameras stuck to windows to record what's going on when your car is parked an a hinky area.
The upside of this method is no installation cost, relatively inexpensive, and you're not draining your cars battery. You also have the benefit of the backup lithium battery to run devices and jumpstart your car or anyone else's car.

The downside is the minor hassle of having to plug the camera into the battery before you leave your car, or if you choose to take the camera down every time to put it on the rear window or side window with a suction cup.

There are some great YouTube videos of Tesla owners actually catching people after images are submitted to police, who vandalized their cars out of spite using their 360° cameras.

I have two vehicles that have cigarette lighters front and back and run a dash cam as well as a camera pointed rearward to catch the license plate of people do rear end collision and then back up and take off the other direction, or make some wild fallacious claim such as you backed into them, or pulled in front of them suddenly and slammed on the brakes. Ask me how I know.
Why do you have to plug the camera into the battery before you leave the car? Can't it stay plugged in permanently? Is it because the battery is huge and there would be nowhere to place it? (floor of rear seats perhaps?)

I would prefer a solution that doesn't require any form of additional work every time I leave the car (as it wouldn't be worth the hassle otherwise).

What kind of battery should I be looking at? Which category on Antigravity? Would https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...l-case/ag-401/ suffice?

Would a single Garmin Tandem (interior+exterior recording - https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/67...n/010-02259-00) suffice? Could that interior camera capture any side/rear collision and vandalism?
Would that be the same as having 2 cameras with one facing backwards?
Old 08-08-2021, 12:58 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by riwu
Why do you have to plug the camera into the battery before you leave the car? Can't it stay plugged in permanently? Is it because the battery is huge and there would be nowhere to place it? (floor of rear seats perhaps?)

I would prefer a solution that doesn't require any form of additional work every time I leave the car (as it wouldn't be worth the hassle otherwise).

What kind of battery should I be looking at? Which category on Antigravity? Would https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...l-case/ag-401/ suffice?

Would a single Garmin Tandem (interior+exterior recording - https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/67...n/010-02259-00) suffice? Could that interior camera capture any side/rear collision and vandalism?
All you need are two garmin minis and the hardwire kit to your stock battery. You only need 2, but if you want to install 4, you can and they will all work in tandem on the app. I suggest you get two and see how it goes. For testing purposes. You can order two and wire them us a USB cig port charger under your dash. They will only stay ON for about 15-25 mins after you park. But it will give you a quick example of how easy they are to install and how easy they are to operate via the app. If you like them, then you can buy the direct hardwire kit and make them record 24/7, until your battery power drops to a certain point.

The backview cameras are nice. But they are big. They are a pain to install and a pain to get video off to you phone for easy sending.

Get the garmin minis!
Old 08-08-2021, 09:04 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

riwu, You're correct, it could stay plugged in all the time.
For aesthetics I would only do it when I was parked in a place I was concerned about a break in or vandalism. I try to avoid those situations!
We are not allowed to post links, but simply go to the Antigravity site and you'll find it.
There is a button that needs to be pressed on the unit for power to be routed to the USB outlets. It's not on all the time. When the lithium battery is plugged into a cigarette lighter it charges automatically of course when the car is running.
And I agree with the above post that you would need more than one as each camera only points in one direction, although it is a fairly wide angle. Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:18 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,007 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by riwu

HI Riwu,

One of the main concerns you are looking at is when you have have several little cameras drawing on you main battery, and if you have additional electronics devices also, all pulling from your main battery it will create potentially a significant parasitic drain that can drain you battery much faster than you think.... perhaps even within a few days especially if the battery isn't new or in good shape and the car isn't driven enough to give its battery a solid full charge. You will find your battery drains and potentially won't start the car in just a few days of not driving.

So what you do want to review is how much energy those devices, though small, are pulling, and other accessories you plan on having. Also you need know the Milliamps of those Batteries batteries so you can find larger battery capable of recharging, or running those at night to them to keep them going when you are not driving. So though it appears a normal Car battery is big , they really can be drained or get low very quickly with a decent parasitic draw on them. Also flags start appearing when the Porsche's batteries get low so watch for that. Porsches are crazy finicky with low voltage scenarios. Last, You want to make sure you wire in the cameras so they do not effect the cars ability to go into sleep mode. Meaning attached to a fuse that might not allow the Car to fully shut down like it normally would. We have see that with people who installed some Electronics themselves. I am not saying this will happen absolutely since I don't have enough experience with these cameras and their draws, but I can safely say that 4 Cameras going at once can provide for a significant draw that may effect the cars ability to maintain a good high state of charge after a few days to a week of not driving, when normally most Porsches can sit roughly a month without needing a charge in general. So you may want to be keeping it on a charger more often after doing this also.

I am not well versed on this subject but if they offer bigger batteries for your cameras and they charge when you drive enough to run them overnight try to find that. I can offer some suggestions for stuff from our product lines, but often times these Cameras make solutions like this already that do work well and you would want to look into that first.

Quick Reply: 360 degree dashcam recommendation