Sponsored by:

Reviving the oil thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 02:05 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,357 Likes on 1,398 Posts

When you're 400 miles from a dealer and you do all your own work, I measure twice and cut once. YMMV

siberian
The following 2 users liked this post by siberian:
jfr0317 (07-13-2021), shark715 (12-29-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 08:46 AM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

Siberian, just shoot an Email to Mobil’s Engineering asking them if the standard US spec Mobil 1 0W-40 will in any way compromise the durability or performance of your vehicle versus the Euro spec oil. Their guys are very nice and more than willing to answer the questions that are out there about Mobil 1.

People don’t seem to realize how good the oils are of the last five years against the best that could be produced before. Also if a car is sold in the US it has to be fully durable with no degradation in emissions or fuel economy with any commercially available oil of that spec sold in the market. You can’t point to a Euro spec and say that only that oil that does not conform to the US EPA standards will allow the vehicle to meet their advertising and durability claims. Does anyone really think the EPA was using a non-EPA approved oil when they did the mileage accumulation and emissions testing of the 992’s in Ann Arbor?

The biggest thing you want in a modern synthetic oil of the right viscosity is one with enhanced LSPI protection. This goes for any turbo engine and not just Porsche.
The following users liked this post:
jfr0317 (07-13-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 08:52 AM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Bump... no one doing their own oil changes?

siberian
I ALWAYS do my own oil changes, just did the GTS 4.0 for the first time yesterday. I've read most of the oil threads and searched diligently for M1 0W-40 but came up empty. So I used LM 5W-40, I'm in Alabama after all. I've yet to visit my dealer, he's never seen my car, but even if they have the correct oil I won't be buying from him. My car has just over 2000 miles on it so it was time for the change and I'll probably stick with the 5W-40, I even used the A40 of that viscosity in my 981. I will make certain they have C40 before I allow them to do the free change at @10,000 miles.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:29 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Michigan 992
Siberian, just shoot an Email to Mobil’s Engineering asking them if the standard US spec Mobil 1 0W-40 will in any way compromise the durability or performance of your vehicle versus the Euro spec oil. Their guys are very nice and more than willing to answer the questions that are out there about Mobil 1.

People don’t seem to realize how good the oils are of the last five years against the best that could be produced before. Also if a car is sold in the US it has to be fully durable with no degradation in emissions or fuel economy with any commercially available oil of that spec sold in the market. You can’t point to a Euro spec and say that only that oil that does not conform to the US EPA standards will allow the vehicle to meet their advertising and durability claims. Does anyone really think the EPA was using a non-EPA approved oil when they did the mileage accumulation and emissions testing of the 992’s in Ann Arbor?

The biggest thing you want in a modern synthetic oil of the right viscosity is one with enhanced LSPI protection. This goes for any turbo engine and not just Porsche.
Thanx and from everyone I talked to whether LM tech support or M1 they all said the 992 engines require a C40 spec oil which at the moment is only available through M1 at the dealer (not sure how legally enforcing such a monopoly is valid but it is what it is). As to whether using any other viscosity/brand etc. the mantra is "we just go with what the manufacturer has recommended" and they won't go beyond that.

siberian
Old 07-11-2021, 12:39 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
I ALWAYS do my own oil changes, just did the GTS 4.0 for the first time yesterday. I've read most of the oil threads and searched diligently for M1 0W-40 but came up empty. So I used LM 5W-40, I'm in Alabama after all. I've yet to visit my dealer, he's never seen my car, but even if they have the correct oil I won't be buying from him. My car has just over 2000 miles on it so it was time for the change and I'll probably stick with the 5W-40, I even used the A40 of that viscosity in my 981. I will make certain they have C40 before I allow them to do the free change at @10,000 miles.
Again my situation is relatively unique in the sense that my viscosity requirements coupled with Porsche's "edict" that all 992s must have C40 spec oil even if they don't have a (active) GPF makes it challenging. As you, the state dealer is 400 miles or so from here and unless there's a recall or other major meltdown they'll never see the car. I've left a message with their Service/Parts person asking for a callback Friday concerning availability and price. If I don't hear back from them by Monday, I'll go with Motul or LM (probably LM since shipping is covered by Amazon Prime).

Thank you for your thoughts

siberian

Old 07-12-2021, 12:21 PM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

BTW - the ACEA C4 designation is mainly for reduced sulfated ash and ZDDP. The ash reduction is for use in gasoline and Diesel engines with exhaust particulate filters. ZDDP is a key anti-scuff additive that can be substituted with more expensive other additives. The EPA and other agencies have been pushing for ZDDP reductions in service oils but not factory fills for decades now to try to reduce in use aging of catalytic converters that were certified at higher rates of catalyst poisoning.

The key content that is not automatically in C4 oils is an LSPI inhibitor. Premium oils like Mobil 1 tend to have them, but other C4 oils may not.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:02 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Michigan 992
BTW - the ACEA C4 designation is mainly for reduced sulfated ash and ZDDP. The ash reduction is for use in gasoline and Diesel engines with exhaust particulate filters. ZDDP is a key anti-scuff additive that can be substituted with more expensive other additives. The EPA and other agencies have been pushing for ZDDP reductions in service oils but not factory fills for decades now to try to reduce in use aging of catalytic converters that were certified at higher rates of catalyst poisoning.

The key content that is not automatically in C4 oils is an LSPI inhibitor. Premium oils like Mobil 1 tend to have them, but other C4 oils may not.
Motul 8100 seems to have that additive:

https://www.motul.com/gr/en/news/pro...ines-lubricant

siberian
Old 07-12-2021, 01:16 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Motul 8100 seems to have that additive:

https://www.motul.com/gr/en/news/pro...ines-lubricant

siberian
So far it looks like only in the 5W-30 oil, won't help the flat 4-6 crowd. And the LSPI phenomenon is almost exclusively in turbocharged engines, so 4.0 GT4 and GTS owners benefit only from the SAPS reduction which is questionable anyway. This whole thing comes from government edicts and not engineering it seems to me. It would be better if the problem (If there us one) is addressed by the vehicdesigners rather than politicians.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:56 PM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

The Motul link had a very non-scary description of LSPI. If LSPI is not stopped it can destroy an engine’s pistons in a matter of seconds before the driver even knew it was occurring. A number of companies have had big trouble with this. It begs the question about selling oils for modern engines that do not have the more expensive additives to reduce this risk when some of the same bottlers oils do. Looking from the outside, I think the 911S engine is at reduced risk for this issue due to some of my observations on boost management, but that is just my opinion.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:40 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
So far it looks like only in the 5W-30 oil, won't help the flat 4-6 crowd. And the LSPI phenomenon is almost exclusively in turbocharged engines, so 4.0 GT4 and GTS owners benefit only from the SAPS reduction which is questionable anyway. This whole thing comes from government edicts and not engineering it seems to me. It would be better if the problem (If there us one) is addressed by the vehicdesigners rather than politicians.
You mean like the arrangement between Mobil1 and Porsche/dealers ensuring a monopoly of the 0w-40 ESP x3?

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 07-12-2021 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:59 PM
PorschePirate
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick update as I don’t want to leave this hanging. I talked again to my dealer and they indicate that they brought my concerns to Porsche Canada. Specifically that the dealership uses A40 0w40 for all 992 oil changes and also the lack of C40 0w40 in NAmerica. I’m not sure how this hasn’t been brought up previously but they promised an answer in writing.
As well, I plan to do my own oil changes in the future but the next issue is there does not seem to be a scan tool(not including Porsche service equipment) or similar device that will reset the maintenance reminder. Does anyone have any info on a suitable device?
Old 07-14-2021, 07:27 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I just talked to the parts guy in Anchorage asking when 0w-40 Mobil1 C40 would be back in stock and the silence at the other end was deafening. We only have A40 in stock he replied.

He didn't know that 992s required C40 but said that according to my VIN it needed not x3 ESP but x3 ESC. I said let's forget that for the time being, I asked what oil did you put in another Fairbanks owner's 992? He said he would get back to me in a day or so after he contacted Porsche and Petro Star (oil importers to AK).

The basic gist is that they're as confused as the rest of us. No idea about the GPF issue driving this, etc. etc.

I'll post back as soon as I hear, but once he was made aware, he clearly got the issue and promised to chase it up as it was news to them.

And yes, I do my own work/oil changes etc. but I want to be doubly sure that what goes in there should be in there.

siberian
The following 2 users liked this post by siberian:
audiophilitis (07-16-2021), jfr0317 (07-14-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 03:07 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

OK so here is the epilogue to the 992 oil saga. After an in depth discussion with the Parts Manager here is the status for AK.

1) In terms of availability, if you can't get hold of recommended oil (Mobil1 0w-40 ESP C40) PetroStar, the outfit responsible for oil deliveries in AK, has stated with upheavals around the world and COVID etc. our shipment is aboard a vessel, no date of delivery given

2) Contrary to bulk (or dealer) deliveries, Mobil1 0w-40 ESP x3 C40 will only be available in bottles not barrels. No idea if this includes 5 quart or only single quart bottles

3) Top up with (what I call vanilla) Mobil1 0w-40 A40 is OK

4) Do NOT use A40 oil as an oil change for 992 (aluminum) engines.

5) If you can't get the recommended oil (Mobil1 0w-40 x3 ESP C40 - which is only available through dealers) and have a choice of being C40 or 0w-40 compliant, you should only use C40 oils.

6) If this is the case, your choices will be: Motul 8100 X-Clean Gen2 or Liqui Moly (part number 22122) 5w-40 C40 compliant

7) Should you opt for this solution, do not drive by temps below -25F

Since I will not have any local availability of recommended oil, I will, depending on local sourcing (NAPA, O'reilly...), go with Liqui Moly and if not Motul.

HTH

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 08-05-2021 at 03:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wannarun (08-12-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 03:15 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 964 Likes on 539 Posts

#4 is the big one - are the dealers themselves complying with that?
Old 08-05-2021, 03:17 PM
bobblehead
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 107 Posts

I guess the question should be asked first before dealer does anything.

Quick Reply: Reviving the oil thread