Another color opinion question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 04:29 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by 403portside
I always told myself that if I ever custom ordered a Porsche, it would be in GT Silver. When it came time to order my C4S coupe, I labored over color to the point of insanity. Ultimately, GT silver to me is beautiful but “safe” and didn’t evoke any emotion from me. I kept staring at the Aventurine Green metallic car at the dealership instead. And although I had (and still have) reservations about Aventurine, it was the color that kept my visual interest at the time, so I ordered it. Car arrives in 6 weeks…fingers crossed
It's a great color. Very dynamic. 👍
Old 07-01-2021, 04:42 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,772 Likes on 5,138 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
The best Ferrari's are blue, not resale red.
I dunno, I think red looks pretty good on a F car ...

Old 07-01-2021, 04:43 PM
rowsey
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

I just got back from my dealer.... I wanted to compare GT and DOLOMITE silvers. The GT is a REAL silver.... very distinct and shiny. The Dolomite has a distinct bluish tint to it but is also very shiny. IMHO.... the GT lends itself to black or dark gray trims outside and in whereas the DOLOMITE would better accomodate trims in blue or red. I would gladly own either but will be going with GT since my '22 Targa will have black accents.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:52 PM
Kurac
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by rowsey
I just got back from my dealer.... I wanted to compare GT and DOLOMITE silvers. The GT is a REAL silver.... very distinct and shiny. The Dolomite has a distinct bluish tint to it but is also very shiny. IMHO.... the GT lends itself to black or dark gray trims outside and in whereas the DOLOMITE would better accomodate trims in blue or red. I would gladly own either but will be going with GT since my '22 Targa will have black accents.
I also saw GT and Dolomite side by side at my dealer. GT looks more bronze/ gold whereas Dolomite has a blue hue to it. GT gives a more warm vibe while Dolomite exudes more of a cool feel, if that makes sense. FWIW, I went with Dolomite and accentuated the blue hue with Graphite blue interior.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:53 PM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 135 Posts

Currently have a 992 in guards red and a 991 turbo s in white metallic. Recently sold a 991 in Chalk, had a 991 in GT silver and others. So what did I learn:
1. White and Chalk on a 911/992 only work on turbo or GT cars that have lots of contrasting colors in wings, inlets, vents etc.
2. all other colors, medium to dark, will work on standard 991/992, just personal choice.
The following users liked this post:
Yojeffo (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 07:09 PM
luvawatch
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Very helpful insight. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2021, 07:49 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

I had a white 981 Cayman GTS that looked great because of all the black accents that came with it, including satin black wheels. Had black leather interior with red belts for color. I did not put clear film on it and it was very susceptible to road rash on the hood, tiny little black flecks everywhere by 20K miles.

I have GT silver 991.2 GTS, got it in that color because I daily drive to work, wanted to keep it low key, especially since I had been pulled over by various enforcement agencies (warnings) with the Cayman . I think the GT silver also looks good with the black GTS accents and black satin wheels (+4 red belts instead of 2) , and it is a classic Porsche color with racing heritage. Buif it is a bit conservative. If I could snap my fingers I'd change it to guards red (have a 718 Boxster in that color and love it, holds up well, too without film). Can't comment on the durability of GT silver, I got PPF this time around. Still getting lots of attention from the various enforcement agencies (seriously fast car) but fortunately still just verbals...
Old 07-01-2021, 08:02 PM
Porsche992
Pro

Received 420 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by rowsey
my car came with the wrong panel on the roof, car is GT silver with a Dolomite panel haha.. I still think gt silver is more classy and that paint is super deep and beautiful , best color in a carrera by far
Old 07-01-2021, 09:21 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

I love white 911s - my 992 TTS build will be Carrara White Metallic with some gloss black elements (front intakes and slats, rear diffusor, “PORSCHE” lettering, etc.) over Graphite Blue w/ Chalk Stitching. The CWM has a slightly different hue than standard white and I thought it had enough of a special look to choose it. FWIW, the other colors I considered were Aventurine Green and Carmine Red - so I’m not opposed to “real colors.”
Old 07-02-2021, 01:55 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I love white 911s - my 992 TTS build will be Carrara White Metallic with some gloss black elements (front intakes and slats, rear diffusor, “PORSCHE” lettering, etc.) over Graphite Blue w/ Chalk Stitching. The CWM has a slightly different hue than standard white and I thought it had enough of a special look to choose it. FWIW, the other colors I considered were Aventurine Green and Carmine Red - so I’m not opposed to “real colors.”
Sounds like a great look.

Quick Reply: Another color opinion question...