Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leave Wrap Defect or Risk Repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 02:36 PM
MarkerGT01
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Leave Wrap Defect or Risk Repaint?

I took my C4S to an otherwise well-regarded detailer to have the factory half-front wrap removed and replaced with full-front wrap plus a ceramic coating over the whole car. When I picked it up, the detailer pointed out a few issues in the wrap that he explained as water/moisture and that it would evaporate through the wrap over the next 60 days. Many did disappear, but one of most obvious defects in the wrap looks like "extra adhesive" or a "ripple" under the wrap and it's right at the top of the driver's side fender. I took the car back to them, now two months later, and that defect is still very much there. The detailer first told me "that falls within the limits of acceptable defects and we won't repair it under warranty." I pushed back hard and he came back with "Okay, I'll fix it, but there's a chance removing this wrap will pull up the original paint around any pre-wrap chips. If that happens, it's going to be your expense to get the fender repainted."

I haven't made a decision yet and need some advise. Do I just live with this defect in the wrap or do I push forward with replacing the wrap and risk pulling up the original paint? What would impact resale value more: defect in the wrap or a repainted fender? The car has been tracked before and isn't going to win any cars shows. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. Unfortunately, I don't have a good photo of the defect and the detailer's 90 minutes away.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:07 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 901 Likes on 503 Posts

Huh? These wraps have to be removed after a certain number of years anyway, is everyone repainting their cars when that happens? I made the mistake on a previous MB car of not removing the wrap, left it on for too many years. It was brutal taking it off, steam machine and wooden ice cream pop sticks literally had to be used to rub the wrap off my car - but it didn't lift a drop of paint off it. With a proper steaming technique to loosen it (watch some youtube videos), that wrap should come right off.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:10 PM
MarkerGT01
Advanced

Originally Posted by nyca
Huh? These wraps have to be removed after a certain number of years anyway, is everyone repainting their cars when that happens? I made the mistake on a previous MB car of not removing the wrap, left it on for too many years. It was brutal taking it off, steam machine and wooden ice cream pop sticks literally had to be used to rub the wrap off my car - but it didn't lift a drop of paint off it. With a proper steaming technique to loosen it (watch some youtube videos), that wrap should come right off.
That was my first reaction, too. This wrap is not designed to permanently adhere to the paint. With care, it should come off without any damage to the underlying surface.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:11 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

From what I understand removing a wrap is no issue if they wrap the edges, but it can sometimes be problematic if they cut the edges on the paint. In cases where the film is cut and the cut goes through the paint, the paint can lift when the film is removed if not done carefully by someone with experience. Check with your installer to see what he thinks.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,539 Likes on 5,063 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkerGT01
I took my C4S to an otherwise well-regarded detailer to have the factory half-front wrap removed and replaced with full-front wrap plus a ceramic coating over the whole car. When I picked it up, the detailer pointed out a few issues in the wrap that he explained as water/moisture and that it would evaporate through the wrap over the next 60 days. Many did disappear, but one of most obvious defects in the wrap looks like "extra adhesive" or a "ripple" under the wrap and it's right at the top of the driver's side fender. I took the car back to them, now two months later, and that defect is still very much there. The detailer first told me "that falls within the limits of acceptable defects and we won't repair it under warranty." I pushed back hard and he came back with "Okay, I'll fix it, but there's a chance removing this wrap will pull up the original paint around any pre-wrap chips. If that happens, it's going to be your expense to get the fender repainted."

I haven't made a decision yet and need some advise. Do I just live with this defect in the wrap or do I push forward with replacing the wrap and risk pulling up the original paint? What would impact resale value more: defect in the wrap or a repainted fender? The car has been tracked before and isn't going to win any cars shows. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. Unfortunately, I don't have a good photo of the defect and the detailer's 90 minutes away.
That is incorrect.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:53 PM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

I've had 4 to 5 year old ppf taken off my 991 turbo with no issues whatsoever. It's my understanding is there are no issues if removing ppf from original paint BUT if a panel has been repainted then the risk of lifting paint is real.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:08 PM
MarkerGT01
Advanced

Originally Posted by ohniner
I've had 4 to 5 year old ppf taken off my 991 turbo with no issues whatsoever. It's my understanding is there are no issues if removing ppf from original paint BUT if a panel has been repainted then the risk of lifting paint is real.
The fender is mostly original paint, but there are some chips with Dr Colorchip in them.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:09 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 441 Posts

Exactly why I never wrap my cars.
The following 4 users liked this post by c1pher:
apache2 (07-01-2021), djlynch (06-30-2021), M3Inline6 (06-30-2021), Rocket_boy (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 01:31 PM
MarkerGT01
Advanced

Update: They replaced the wrap and recoated and told me there were no paint peeling issues. I haven't seen it in person yet, but am hopeful.
The following 2 users liked this post by MarkerGT01:
apache2 (07-01-2021), Master Deep (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 06:21 PM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 750 Likes on 423 Posts

They were warning you that any touched up areas could peel, not the factory paint.
Old 07-02-2021, 02:04 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malba2366
They were warning you that any touched up areas could peel, not the factory paint.
Sounds lame if he brought the car to them with the factory wrap on it. How’s it supposed to have paint chips lol.
Old 07-02-2021, 02:26 PM
MarkerGT01
Advanced

Originally Posted by c1pher
Sounds lame if he brought the car to them with the factory wrap on it. How’s it supposed to have paint chips lol.
The factory wrap was only a half-front, so it didn't include the back half of the fenders, which had some chips that were touched up with Dr. Colorchip prior to the full front wrap being applied.
Old 07-02-2021, 02:31 PM
MarkerGT01
Advanced

So an update. I went yesterday and picked up the car. They ended up rewrapping and recoating that driver's side fender, and the large (2-3 inch) defect is gone but now there's two smaller defects in the wrap in a different place and they basically just told me that's the way wrap is. They said it may just be moisture that will evaporate, but we won't know for 30-60 days. If it's not moisture then it's distortion in the wrap or adhesive caused by stretching a flat piece of wrap over a curved surface. It's within the limits of the warranty and they wouldn't correct it any further. I can't say I'm not a bit disappointed after spending that much money, but honestly, the car does look much better than it did when I originally brought it to them.
Old 07-02-2021, 02:57 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

What brand wrap is this?
Old 07-02-2021, 03:13 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I think this whole “protecting your paint” at all cost is crazy. At least it is to me. I do what I can to minimize damage, but then I move on. Case in point -

Within 3 weeks of having my car wrapped (Xpel), I noticed a small rock had penetrated the Xpel film in the front bumper. I confirmed that it was a rock ding, and not an air bubble, with the guy who installed the wrap. He said, if I wanted, he would replace the section with the rock ding, but suggested I wait about a year when I have a few more to make it worthwhile. Didn’t want to come across as an expectant father to be, so I said, sure, I can wait. He said especially after a few track event, I will notice blemishes in the wrap. So rather than being obsessive and replacing the wrap after every small ding, I took his advice. Now, 6 weeks later, I don’t even think about it (I would be the ONLY one to care or notice).

It’s a car, and cars that are driven will experience some road-inflicted damage. just is.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 07-02-2021 at 03:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Leave Wrap Defect or Risk Repaint?