Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDLS+ - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 09:51 PM
BillyX
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 67 Posts

At night on hilly county roads the Black Matrix PDLS+ headlights light up the road ahead like a set of rally lights. Dramatically different than the 25W bi-xenon Cayman headlights. The auto-dim feature fades the beams back and forth from high to low rather than hard switching. It makes for a mesmorizing night drive.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:56 AM
fitz liu
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
The diff btw PDLS vs PDLS+ is that the + models swivel when you turn. Other than that, they look the same and perform the same. The swiveling feature is very nice to have if you drive alot on dark curvy roads - like if you live in the hills and are constantly driving up and down at night and like to see better around corners and whatnot, though I'm sure standard PDLS is fine. Virtually all of my cars have had swiveling headlights for decades now as standard. This is another Porsche cash grab IMO.

The Matrix lights look different, are actually even more expensive and, in the US, doe not have most of the functionality for why one would want it and no one has figured out how to code it to unlock those features yet, so a bit of a waste of money unless you like the look of the Matrix lights - which do look markedly different than PDLS/PDLS+ lights.
Does PDLS+ unlocked in North America in aftermarket?I mean is there anyone knew the code to release the full function of it?
Old 09-23-2021, 07:12 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 382 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by fitz liu
Does PDLS+ unlocked in North America in aftermarket?I mean is there anyone knew the code to release the full function of it?
PDLS (and plus) is available in most (if not all) markets.

The beam-shaping feature of LED matrix has been disabled in the US due to DOT. It’s available in Canada, and likely other NA countries though.

To answer your question specifically, I haven’t seen any post or vids claiming to have unlocked it in the US. It’s new tech, though, so prob take some time.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:16 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 382 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by t-design
+ (plus) means swivel in turns. It's a nice and useful feature if you drive on twisty roads at night. Is it worth extra $$$$ to you - only you can decide. It's a standard feature on my mazda6 winter beater, as a lot of others. But to get Porsche to the same specs you have to spend $20K
PDLS and PDLS+ both swivel.
The following 2 users liked this post by OliverK68:
1focus (01-06-2022), excelsiorz (04-28-2024)
Old 10-27-2021, 01:01 PM
funkyboss
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OliverK68
PDLS and PDLS+ both swivel.
in the US this is not true. As an owner of a 2021 C2S with pdls+, I am very disappointed that the lights do not swivel or light corners in any dynamic way (let alone do the matrix functionality that other countries get). For about $2k I got auto high-beams and slightly cooler looking headlights. I regret the upgrade.

Last edited by funkyboss; 10-27-2021 at 01:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
typehxr1 (11-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 01:15 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,937 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyboss
in the US this is not true. As an owner of a 2021 C2S with pdls+, I am very disappointed that the lights do not swivel or light corners in any dynamic way (let alone do the matrix functionality that other countries get). For about $2k I got auto high-beams and slightly cooler looking headlights. I regret the upgrade.
I'm confused by your post. You're saying you have PDLS+ but your headlights do not swivel? I have PDLS+ and they swivel dramatically in all drive modes. It is very noticeable with just a slight turn of the steering wheel, more so than in any other car I've had with swiveling headlights. If you cannot notice it, you should have your car checked out by the dealer as something is wrong w/ your headlights.

As for the matrix feature, that is not avaialble on PDLS or PDLS+. It is only available in the LED-Matrix Design Headlights (hence the name). The PDLS+ headlights do not provide the matrix functionality, even in other countries, because they do not have those 84 tiny LEDs built into the headlights.
detansinn (10-28-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 01:17 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 943 Posts

I thought that you had to have PDLS+ to get the dynamic cornering and other functions like auto high beam. Not sure. But that wasn't enough for me to opt for it. At the end of the day PDLS and PDLS+ is the same LED lighting and brightness, the Plus just adds some features and the distinction isn't exactly clear.

Also from the configurator.

AlterZgo (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 01:18 PM
voyagez.fr
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

i believe the headlights should also swivel when you turn your steering wheel. The standard pdls wokld
be fixed.

Old 10-27-2021, 01:21 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

The PDLS+ should definitely swivel.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:57 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Received 163 Likes on 109 Posts

Personally I just viewed this as another part that could break and my eyes just arent that discerning - lights are lights. I scrapped it and put the money towards other things on my build.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:30 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 799 Posts

well imagine that - i actually learned something from this thread. i usually tick the black matrix pdls+ in the configurator by default; had it on my 991.2. i had no idea pdls+ is standard on the gts; now that it's also black, there is no reason, as others have pointed out, to opt for the matrix option (in the us). you guys just saved me 1900 bucks. thanks!
Old 10-27-2021, 03:48 PM
funkyboss
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I thought that you had to have PDLS+ to get the dynamic cornering and other functions like auto high beam. Not sure. But that wasn't enough for me to opt for it. At the end of the day PDLS and PDLS+ is the same LED lighting and brightness, the Plus just adds some features and the distinction isn't exactly clear.

Also from the configurator.

Yeah, that's what I was sold on, however the way I understand it, with the Matrix LED lights the "swivel" is performed by the individual LEDs lighting up the corners while you turn etc. Those Matrix functionalities are not enabled in the US. The whole housing does not move/swivel like traditional dynamic lights.

That being said, if someone has the PDLS+ in the US and can post a video of theirs swiveling I would be interested in seeing it!

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2021, 03:49 PM
funkyboss
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by breny4104
The PDLS+ should definitely swivel.
I agree, but they don't (at least in my car).
Old 10-27-2021, 04:02 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 799 Posts

Yeah, that's what I was sold on, however the way I understand it, with the Matrix LED lights the "swivel" is performed by the individual LEDs lighting up the corners while you turn etc. Those Matrix functionalities are not enabled in the US. The whole housing does not move/swivel like traditional dynamic lights.

That being said, if someone has the PDLS+ in the US and can post a video of theirs swiveling I would be interested in seeing it!

Thanks!
I had matrix pdls+ in my 991.2 gts; the swiveling was absolutely physical. You can't repoint the beam just by turning on/off the matrix elements.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:04 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,146 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Read this information from Porsche Fremont and make your own determination, auto high beams and cornering lights at intersections don't seem worthy of the price of admission to me.

How Does the Porsche Dynamic Light System Work?

PDLS increases safety when driving and enhances near-field, lateral, and far-field illumination by adjusting the range of the dipped beam according to driving speed. Additionally, the dynamic cornering light function rotates the main headlights towards the inside of a road’s curve based on the driver’s speed and steering angle. Static cornering lights turn on the auxiliary headlights for clearer visibility on tight, turning roads.

What is the Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)?

What is the difference between PDLS and PDLS Plus? Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus has two added functions. First, at speeds higher than about 40 mph, the dynamic main beam will turn on and detect oncoming traffic and vehicles in front of you. The light cone’s intensity and range are adjusted depending on the surroundings. Secondly, Intersection Assistant turns on the electronic cornering lights to adjust the broadness and length of the light cones, which increases the visibility of the vehicle’s surroundings.

Quick Reply: PDLS+ - Worth it?