Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDLS+ - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 04:29 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 780 Likes on 363 Posts

>> Came here for this specifically, are you saying if you get the matrix LEDs you just need some coding on the US models and it will work like Euro or are you saying we need to buy Euro spec lights and coding

All 992 headlamps models (PDLS, PDLS+, and LED Matrix are ‘worldwide’ units (eg there are *not* different US or EU SKUS, though those that are imported by Porsche will have a DOT sticker on them to indicate compliance). All functional differences (like RHD beam pattern for the UK) and matrix activation are achieved via software configuration. @rnlst_log can provides a PIWIS setup if you want to DIY matrix activation and a bunch of other goodies. Tons of threads on this already…
The following users liked this post:
curtdragon (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 06:07 PM
curtdragon
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlegelis
>> Came here for this specifically, are you saying if you get the matrix LEDs you just need some coding on the US models and it will work like Euro or are you saying we need to buy Euro spec lights and coding

All 992 headlamps models (PDLS, PDLS+, and LED Matrix are ‘worldwide’ units (eg there are *not* different US or EU SKUS, though those that are imported by Porsche will have a DOT sticker on them to indicate compliance). All functional differences (like RHD beam pattern for the UK) and matrix activation are achieved via software configuration. @rnlst_log can provides a PIWIS setup if you want to DIY matrix activation and a bunch of other goodies. Tons of threads on this already…
I appreciate that! Adding to my notes
Old 12-28-2023, 07:00 PM
AJ_Judi
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

PDLS+ adds the swinging of the light a bit towards the steering direction and adds auto head beam capability. I did not get it since the swinging may be good if you do a lot of high speed night driving... I will not be. plus it will be another thing that could potentially break later and stop working... auto head beams is very nice to have in my opinion... I have it now on my current daily.... I thought about getting the plus for this feature but did not think the cost is justified just for this... IMO Porsche should add this feature alone as standard or as a paid option like heated steering wheel or auto folding outside mirrors.... but have purposely bundled in to the plus package to get your $$$$$$
Old 12-28-2023, 07:52 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 543 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by F8Driver
The + allows the lights to swing in the direction of your steering input. The Matrix option is the Euro lights, less the software. They can be reprogrammed and the guy at 9xx.com offers the service ... $700 in his Atlanta shop.
I highly recommend Anthony Wong of 9xx.com. He re-coded the LED-matrix headlights on my Cayenne and those of a number of other Rennlist members including 992 last summer during his coast-to-coast "tour".

The curve function after re-coding is subtle. Instead of mechanically swiveling, additional LED's turn on. It's continually entertaining seeing the headlights track and "shield" oncoming vehicles and project light ahead of vehicles I'm following.

I uploaded a video of the headlights doing their thing after the re-coding but it doesn't do justice to how well they now work.

The following 4 users liked this post by Woofman:
mikey94025 (01-01-2024), Oileater (12-28-2023), PG5768 (12-28-2023), PSPorsche (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 11:01 PM
NickM
Advanced

Received 88 Likes on 27 Posts

This is the best video to showcase the Matrix in action i have found. To see it in real life is wild.

PG5768 (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 11:27 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NickM
This is the best video to showcase the Matrix in action i have found. To see it in real life is wild.
I wish the older 84 LED-Matrix "multibeam" headlights could do all that. I assume that the 992.2 will get the 16,000 LED HD matrix headlights as an option as did the 2024 Cayenne and the recently revised Panamera and that the 84 LED-Matrix headlights will become standard on the 992.2 as it has on the 2024 Cayenne and Panamera.
Old 12-29-2023, 01:13 PM
johnohara
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 81 Posts

I have a 23 C2 GTS so it was bundled.

Definitely worth it if you drive at night.

The GTS bundle is pretty nice. Have to say I ordered the GTS because it was a much shorter wait list at an MSRP Dealer, The S list was 3 times as long. I looked at it as ADM with free options. It turned out to be deal of the century.

Last edited by johnohara; 12-29-2023 at 01:14 PM.
OncPorsche (12-30-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 03:06 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

I ordered the PDLS so that in neighborhoods without streetlights the headlights will swivel to see pedestrians in crosswalks especially if dressed in dark clothing. Over the past 15 years I have had two very close calls almost hitting a pedestrian in such conditions. I decided to forgo the night vision option as I felt this would be sufficient. In addition, I have read that some people have had technical problems with the night vision option.
Additionally, the headlights are so good now that with the swivel function I
do canyon carving at night.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:51 PM
excelsiorz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OliverK68
PDLS and PDLS+ both swivel.
Was waiting to see when someone corrected the thread
Old 04-28-2024, 11:09 PM
funkyboss
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by excelsiorz
Was waiting to see when someone corrected the thread
Not to beat a dead horse, but my 992 with PDLS+ matrix lights has no perceptible swiveling on cornering, at any speed. If it’s swiveling, it is so subtle that I can’t see it happening…which defeats the purpose.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:20 AM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by funkyboss
Not to beat a dead horse, but my 992 with PDLS+ matrix lights has no perceptible swiveling on cornering, at any speed. If it’s swiveling, it is so subtle that I can’t see it happening…which defeats the purpose.
The LED-matrix/PDLS+ headlights do not swivel like the non-matrix PDLS+ headlights do. Instead the main LED-matrix beam remains fixed and additional LED's are lit up to expand the beam towards the direction of the curve or corner.

Here are images from my YouTube dashcam video that I posted a link to in post #49 of this thread. A better camera would provide a clearer picture of what's going on. It's from my Cayenne but my understanding is that the LED-matrix headlights work the same on all models that have them. I do not remember if the curve adaptive function was present before 9xx re-coded the headlights to be adaptive. I thought the LED-matrix headlights sucked before they were re-coded.

Just before the right hand curve:

During the right hand curve:

The curve/cornering lighting is pretty subtle. Some YouTube reviewers (outside the U.S.) have actually said that the LED-matrix headlights are not curve adaptive even though their videos clearly show that they are.

Last edited by Woofman; 04-29-2024 at 09:24 AM.
PSPorsche (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 11:59 AM
funkyboss
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Woofman
The LED-matrix/PDLS+ headlights do not swivel like the non-matrix PDLS+ headlights do. Instead the main LED-matrix beam remains fixed and additional LED's are lit up to expand the beam towards the direction of the curve or corner.

Here are images from my YouTube dashcam video that I posted a link to in post #49 of this thread. A better camera would provide a clearer picture of what's going on. It's from my Cayenne but my understanding is that the LED-matrix headlights work the same on all models that have them. I do not remember if the curve adaptive function was present before 9xx re-coded the headlights to be adaptive. I thought the LED-matrix headlights sucked before they were re-coded.

Just before the right hand curve:

During the right hand curve:

The curve/cornering lighting is pretty subtle. Some YouTube reviewers (outside the U.S.) have actually said that the LED-matrix headlights are not curve adaptive even though their videos clearly show that they are.
Thanks for sharing. I am also getting mine recoded by 9XX soon so I look forward to getting something noticeable in corners as part of that.

Quick Reply: PDLS+ - Worth it?