Sponsored by:

PDLS+ - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 02:15 PM
Nshirvanian
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 10 Posts
Default PDLS+ - Worth it?

Aren't the headlights for the 992 GTS black already and LED? What's the point of this option?

LED-Matrix Design Headlights in Black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+) Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

$1,890
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (12-22-2023)
Old 06-28-2021, 02:20 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 904 Likes on 504 Posts

How much time do you spend driving the car at night? If the answer is "not much", then skip it.
The following 3 users liked this post by nyca:
Multimodal (12-28-2023), sapman (09-27-2021), StarbuckR6 (12-30-2023)
Old 06-28-2021, 02:27 PM
Nshirvanian
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nyca
How much time do you spend driving the car at night? If the answer is "not much", then skip it.
Good point. Are the standard GTS headlights black?
Old 06-28-2021, 02:33 PM
Nshirvanian
Rennlist Member

Interesting that this option on the Turbo S is $750 but on the GTS for the same option Porsche charges $1,890. Strange.
Old 06-28-2021, 02:35 PM
tuffcalc
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Nshirvanian
Aren't the headlights for the 992 GTS black already and LED? What's the point of this option?

LED-Matrix Design Headlights in Black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+) Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

$1,890
You're getting the Matrix option. I wouldn't buy a car without Matrix headlights after using them. Even in the city they work amazing. In short it's constantly varrying the degree of beams so you are always getting the maximum brightness (or not being blinded by roadsigns). Love it.
The following 2 users liked this post by tuffcalc:
Nshirvanian (06-28-2021), usdmnotjdm (01-16-2023)
Old 06-28-2021, 02:54 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 223 Posts

If you’re purchasing a US 911, LED Matrix remains unapproved and the headlight shaping features will be disabled so it will be a waste of money.

If you’re in a country where they are approved (Canada for instance), they will be be a great benefit if you do a lot of nighttime driving.
The following 5 users liked this post by OliverK68:
c1pher (06-29-2021), dhirm5 (10-27-2021), manifold danger (10-27-2021), sapman (09-27-2021), SBAD (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 03:09 PM
anupe
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 35 Posts

Good point. Are the standard GTS headlights black?

Yes, with the GTS the standard headlights are PDLS+ in black. As others stated, if you live in the US don’t bother with the upgrade to the matrix lights.
Old 06-28-2021, 04:59 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

$1,890
The diff btw PDLS vs PDLS+ is that the + models swivel when you turn. Other than that, they look the same and perform the same. The swiveling feature is very nice to have if you drive alot on dark curvy roads - like if you live in the hills and are constantly driving up and down at night and like to see better around corners and whatnot, though I'm sure standard PDLS is fine. Virtually all of my cars have had swiveling headlights for decades now as standard. This is another Porsche cash grab IMO.

The Matrix lights look different, are actually even more expensive and, in the US, doe not have most of the functionality for why one would want it and no one has figured out how to code it to unlock those features yet, so a bit of a waste of money unless you like the look of the Matrix lights - which do look markedly different than PDLS/PDLS+ lights.
The following users liked this post:
vg247 (04-29-2024)
Old 06-28-2021, 05:10 PM
colegno
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

How Does the Porsche Dynamic Light System Work?

PDLS increases safety when driving and enhances near-field, lateral, and far-field illumination by adjusting the range of the dipped beam according to driving speed. Additionally, the dynamic cornering light function rotates the main headlights towards the inside of a road’s curve based on the driver’s speed and steering angle. Static cornering lights turn on the auxiliary headlights for clearer visibility on tight, turning roads.

What is the Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)?

What is the difference between PDLS and PDLS Plus? Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus has two added functions. First, at speeds higher than about 40 mph, the dynamic main beam will turn on and detect oncoming traffic and vehicles in front of you. The light cone’s intensity and range are adjusted depending on the surroundings. Secondly, Intersection Assistant turns on the electronic cornering lights to adjust the broadness and length of the light cones, which increases the visibility of the vehicle’s surroundings.

I have the PDLS + and it's awesome!
The following 6 users liked this post by colegno:
AlexCeres (06-29-2021), drgav2005 (09-23-2021), Go Bruins (06-28-2021), johnohara (12-29-2023), SBAD (06-28-2021), TimD (12-21-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-29-2021, 01:23 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

Interesting that this option on the Turbo S is $750 but on the GTS for the same option Porsche charges $1,890. Strange.
The standard Turbo S headlights are LED matrix in silver, not PLDS+ - the $750 charge on the Turbo S is to get those headlights in black. The standard headlights in the GTS are non-matrix PDLS+ In black. Note that the black PDLS+ headlights are an upcharge over the standard PDLS+ silver headlights in the 992 S models. When you compare the upcharge from silver PDLS+ to LED Matrix in the S and then subtract the cost difference of going from the standard silver PDLS+ to black PDLS+ you’re probably right around the same number they’re charging in the GTS for the upgrade.

Last edited by Dr. G; 06-29-2021 at 01:25 AM.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:44 AM
Nshirvanian
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OliverK68
If you’re purchasing a US 911, LED Matrix remains unapproved and the headlight shaping features will be disabled so it will be a waste of money.

If you’re in a country where they are approved (Canada for instance), they will be be a great benefit if you do a lot of nighttime driving.
Yup. Decided against it. All i wanted were black headlights that turn with steering input, which the GTS has as standard. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:31 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

I have the PDLS+ (US Spec) and find it quite useful. LED's are nice in many ways, but one way on which they are different from incandescent lamps, is the extremely sharp cut-off between what is illuminated and what remains in the dark. When going around turns, incandescent lamps still provide enough illumination at the edges, that even though the aim of the light is a tangent to the curve you are describing, the arc of the curve remains sufficiently illuminated. This doesn't happen as well with LED lamps. For this reason, having the "+" option where the focal point of the LED is swung/bent to follow the steering wheel input is not so much a novelty as it proves to be extremely useful. One of my motorcycles (Harley) has multiple forward facing LED lamps. At night, in an unlit area anything more than say 30* off the centerline of the bike will be in complete darkness. I have had to follow older bikes equipped with incandescent lights through campgrounds at night due to this limitation. The motorcycle at night in an unlit area may be the extreme but even in my well lit suburban neighborhood the "+" part of the headlights on my C2S is very noticeable and quite helpful.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 06-29-2021 at 02:32 AM.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:16 AM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 266 Likes on 174 Posts

+ (plus) means swivel in turns. It's a nice and useful feature if you drive on twisty roads at night. Is it worth extra $$$$ to you - only you can decide. It's a standard feature on my mazda6 winter beater, as a lot of others. But to get Porsche to the same specs you have to spend $20K
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Old 06-29-2021, 10:48 AM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

the PDLS+ also comes with high beam assistant- that tech alone blows my mind every time i take a drive at night. amazingly intuitive and would order PDLS+ based on this alone. (not sure if this comes with standard PDLS, but my Cayenne does not have it and it's disappointing)
Old 09-13-2021, 07:44 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,200 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Originally Posted by chong0
the PDLS+ also comes with high beam assistant- that tech alone blows my mind every time i take a drive at night. amazingly intuitive and would order PDLS+ based on this alone. (not sure if this comes with standard PDLS, but my Cayenne does not have it and it's disappointing)
Y'know, it's funny . . . . Never would've bought High Beam Assistant for a BMW but ended up with it on a car that was ordered loaded and never picked up (650i GC). I love it and to your point, I love how intuitive the lights are and this alone is the reason I, like you, would buy these lights and have them ordered on my C2S.

Quick Reply: PDLS+ - Worth it?