Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 04:06 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts
Default The cabriolet window thingy

I noticed a glitch just now that commonly has been reported here:

When I either open or close my top, the final stage at the end (both windows closing) doesn’t happen unless I do it manually.

Obviously a minor issue, but how have others resolved this? Do I actually have to go back to the dealer to have them reset whatever little algorithm is malfunctioning here or is there something I can do myself?

Incidentally, when I push the ‘M’ button to switch to manual mode the light doesn’t come on, even though it still switches modes. That’s another issue I’ve seen commonly reported here. Small potatoes stuff, of course, but I wonder if this and the window issue are related? I’ve seen others complain about these two issues simultaneously before.
Old 06-20-2021, 04:33 PM
Mb111
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 88 Posts

I've noticed for the last few months as I open the convertible top more that my rear passenger side window sometimes doesn't close all the way when putting my top up - it'll stay half open at the end of the convertible closing sequence, only the rear passenger side. When that happens and I attempt to fully close the window using the button on the door the window will first close all the way but then open halfway back down again, What I found to work is instead of holding the button pulled up to close it fully, I stutter pulling up the button, and then it will fully close after 2-3 pulls. I'll have the dealer look at it the next time I bring it in for something else.

I thought it might be a SmartTop issue since one of the settings for that device involves windows up/down when you open/close the top- do you have that mod installed? If not, then it's likely a Porsche software glitch.
Old 06-20-2021, 04:57 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ No, I don’t have Smarttop

I think it’s a glitch that Porsche can probably reset in 5 min, my concern is if this becomes a recurring thing whether I can do anything about it myself instead of having to go to the dealer.

Again, in the big scheme of things this is a pretty minor nuisance, but still....
Old 06-20-2021, 05:34 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Mb111
I've noticed for the last few months as I open the convertible top more that my rear passenger side window sometimes doesn't close all the way when putting my top up - it'll stay half open at the end of the convertible closing sequence, only the rear passenger side. When that happens and I attempt to fully close the window using the button on the door the window will first close all the way but then open halfway back down again, What I found to work is instead of holding the button pulled up to close it fully, I stutter pulling up the button, and then it will fully close after 2-3 pulls. I'll have the dealer look at it the next time I bring it in for something else.

I thought it might be a SmartTop issue since one of the settings for that device involves windows up/down when you open/close the top- do you have that mod installed? If not, then it's likely a Porsche software glitch.
Had what I believe to have been a similar problem on my 991. I believe it’s a timing issue with the SmartTOP module sending close commands to the windows. I noticed that when it happened and I tried to correct the cab windows too soon, the door controls seemed to “fight” either the SmartTOP or the perhaps the OEM body control module. When I left the controls alone for a few seconds, I could cycle the cab windows open, then close them again normally.

Also noticed this seemed to happen when the car was running. Never saw it happen when I had the car shut off and was closing the top with the remote.

ETA. I contacted Mods 4Cars about it at one time and they wanted the s/n of the module. Meant I had to take things apart and never got around to doing it.

Last edited by OliverK68; 06-20-2021 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:36 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
I noticed a glitch just now that commonly has been reported here:

When I either open or close my top, the final stage at the end (both windows closing) doesn’t happen unless I do it manually.

Obviously a minor issue, but how have others resolved this? Do I actually have to go back to the dealer to have them reset whatever little algorithm is malfunctioning here or is there something I can do myself?

Incidentally, when I push the ‘M’ button to switch to manual mode the light doesn’t come on, even though it still switches modes. That’s another issue I’ve seen commonly reported here. Small potatoes stuff, of course, but I wonder if this and the window issue are related? I’ve seen others complain about these two issues simultaneously before.
Does this happen consistently?
Old 06-20-2021, 09:02 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OliverK68
Does this happen consistently?
I just noticed this today, so I will see
Old 06-20-2021, 09:35 PM
patentguy
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

i don't have Smart Top, but I have had the back window only closing half way about half a dozen times, although I have probably closed my top at least 50 times since I have had the car. Like others, I fool with closing and opening with the buttons, and eventually all is well. Even in my old 997.1, I sometimes had to reset the windows when they would not fully close. I am not sure if the back window is feeling some kind of resistance the causes it to not fully close.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:12 AM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by patentguy
i don't have Smart Top, but I have had the back window only closing half way about half a dozen times, although I have probably closed my top at least 50 times since I have had the car. Like others, I fool with closing and opening with the buttons, and eventually all is well. Even in my old 997.1, I sometimes had to reset the windows when they would not fully close. I am not sure if the back window is feeling some kind of resistance the causes it to not fully close.
I’ve had this happen on a 991.1 I rented on Turo for our wedding. Had to hit the button 4-5x before it would finally close. Car had 75k miles so figured he didn’t want to take it in to have fixed as they did eventually go up. Almost like it detected resistance and went back down.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:02 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

This may or may not be the same thing . . . I have this problem occasionally on my 991.1 cab. On my car, the issue is the seal inside the door on the rear-side of the rear window. As the window goes up, it sometimes catches on the seal and thinks there's something impeding it from going up (like a child's hand), and so it automatically retracts back down. I think this is called something like the "anti-pinching" feature. So I use a silicon seal lubricant sprayed directly into the door at the rear of the window. I then bring the window up and down a few times to lubricate the seal and the problem's solved. Anyway, mine is a five year old car with five year old seals, so the problem may be different for newer cars. And fwiw, I do have Smartop.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:17 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hinckley
This may or may not be the same thing . . . I have this problem occasionally on my 991.1 cab. On my car, the issue is the seal inside the door on the rear-side of the rear window. As the window goes up, it sometimes catches on the seal and thinks there's something impeding it from going up (like a child's hand), and so it automatically retracts back down. I think this is called something like the "anti-pinching" feature. So I use a silicon seal lubricant sprayed directly into the door at the rear of the window. I then bring the window up and down a few times to lubricate the seal and the problem's solved. Anyway, mine is a five year old car with five year old seals, so the problem may be different for newer cars. And fwiw, I do have Smartop.
No, my car isn't doing this.

At the end of the open or close cycle, the windows on both sides just aren't going up. I'm pretty sure it's just something electronic related

Quick Reply: The cabriolet window thingy