Sponsored by:

New infotainment system 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 11:38 PM
Porsche992
Pro

Received 417 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
This isn't Demolition Man. We will all be long dead and gone before any of that even begins to materialize. EV's make up around 2-3% of the overall market in terms of automobile sales (..and much of that came from Tesla's hipster virtue signaling crowd). EV's have a long, LONG way to go before they make any appreciable dent in the ICE market. Ford still sells ICE F-150's to the tune of nearly a million a year.
Tesla is building a factory in Berlin that will make Germans proud of their car industry again
Old 06-19-2021, 11:44 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,797 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche992
Tesla is building a factory in Berlin that will make Germans proud of their car industry again
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
The following users liked this post:
Porsche992 (06-19-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 11:47 PM
Porsche992
Pro

nothing its just funny how people in this forum domt respect Tesla and what ifs doing. A ton of ignorance.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:49 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
??? I seriously cross shopped the M3 vs 992. Both amazing cars, one just has a really ugly front end.
Maybe you considered both while shopping, but I still stand by comment, they are apples and oranges, esp the M3. Not a slight against BMW by any means, but they are just very different cars.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:52 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

nothing its just funny how people in this forum domt respect Tesla and what ifs doing. A ton of ignorance.
I think people here respect what Musk did with Tesla, but that doesn't mean the product is on the same level as Porsche. The gripes you hear from RennLister's is the same thing you hear from Tesla owners. It's not like the issues are unsubstantiated.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:59 PM
Porsche992
Pro

I think people here respect what Musk did with Tesla, but that doesn't mean the product is on the same level as Porsche. The gripes you hear from RennLister's is the same thing you hear from Tesla owners. It's not like the issues are unsubstantiated.
its leagues above Porsche , like on another dimension. Porsche does great old century cars. Nothing drives like a 992 but Tesla is not about that
Old 06-20-2021, 12:07 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

its leagues above Porsche , like on another dimension. Porsche does great old century cars. Nothing drives like a 992 but Tesla is not about that
You regale in all things Tesla. That's fine. There's something for everybody. Tesla is a hard pass for me. There is nothing inspiring to me about Tesla at all........not the aesthetic, not the tech, nada.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:10 AM
macanspnw
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

haha dude. You are totally off here, but ok have a good day

Actually, no he's not. VW has gone all in on electric. They have the resoreuces to back it up. Give VW 5 years and they will equal or surpass Tesla's market share. Ford, Toyota, etc are also investing tens of billions into electric. If you think Tesla is going to kill all these players in terms of market share, you could not be more wrong. I like Tesla. I own Tesla stock but from a business perspective Tesla only enjoys what they enjoy because they were first to market. Teslas quality control sucks. Their interiors suck. The S is very dated. They better stop resting on their laurels or Tesla as a car company will be no different than AOL or Gateway 2000. Google them if you're too young to understand. Cheers!
The following 3 users liked this post by macanspnw:
German1967 (06-20-2021), M3Inline6 (06-20-2021), TempeAndy (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 12:15 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

He’s a troll.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
Moosedoc (06-23-2021), ryandarr1979 (06-21-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 12:17 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 206 Posts

Why wouldn't they? The degree of separation between the M camp and the Porsche camp isn't vast. I've noticed many people here came from M's. I came from the M cars, and many people on the BMW forums have either been in the Porsche camp at some point or aspire to get here eventually. However you feel about the aesthetics, the M3/M4 offers a compelling product for the price. At almost half the price of a similarly spec'd 911 C2S, the performance is right there. The Porsche is the better driver. There's no disputing that as a fact, but one can't go wrong with the M3/M4........especially if someone really likes the new styling.
It’s not about the spec differences, they are just apples and oranges IMO. Like you said, you can get similar performance for half the cost of a C2S, and likely similar or better numbers than a C2. I stand by my comment that no one is seriously considering a C2S at double the cost of an M3/M4, rather they are just kidding themselves and would have never paid that much more for a C2S, nor would they ever “settle” for a C2. If one cares about the paper specs, they will most certainly end up in a BMW because the value play will win out. Nothing wrong with that and I’m not trying to slight BMW in any way, but they are just different animals. The BMW buyers (we have one and will likely get another X3 for the wife) will always rationalize the value play. I mean, you alluded to it yourself with the “aspire to get there eventually.” Apples and oranges. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:17 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

the model s was not wven sold in 2021 dumbass , get your facts straight if you will talk about Tesla with me 😂
Name calling and wrong in the same sentence. Cool. You are a troll...run along little man.. You bring zero to the table.

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/tesla-...es-usa-canada/

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-20-2021 at 12:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
Moosedoc (06-23-2021), ryandarr1979 (06-21-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 12:20 AM
Captain P
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
The “Tesla is going to destroy Porsche if they don’t fix their software” is a silly comment and hyperbole at best. Comparing Tesla to Porsche is like comparing apples to oranges, you just can’t, they are different beasts. It’s sorta like someone saying they’re crossing shopping an M4 to a 992. They are not truly doing it, they are just kidding themselves.
the way I see it, it is not just cos of software. It’s multiple things. Sooner than later Porsche will start to electrify their flagship 911. In the meantime Tesla is objectively winning in the software department and with the new Tesla roadster branching into sport cars, accessibility is where Tesla will have an upper hand, if the roaster becomes an icon (which I believe it will) and anyone can get one, dealerships will be the death of Porsche unless Porsche can really stand out in ways Tesla can’t even compete. The gap for better or for worse is closing.
Sal635 (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 12:49 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Captain P
the way I see it, it is not just cos of software. It’s multiple things. Sooner than later Porsche will start to electrify their flagship 911. In the meantime Tesla is objectively winning in the software department and with the new Tesla roadster branching into sport cars, accessibility is where Tesla will have an upper hand, if the roaster becomes an icon (which I believe it will) and anyone can get one, dealerships will be the death of Porsche unless Porsche can really stand out in ways Tesla can’t even compete. The gap for better or for worse is closing.
A few points:

- According to the huckster, E. Musk, the base roadster will start at $200K, when it is released in 2023/2024....so, at that price point, don’t expect more than 1-2K to be sold. But if you believe it will become a sports car “icon”, like the 911, well, everybody is entitled to their opinion. But pretty sure that won’t happen.

- Porsche may eventually electrify, to a degree, the 911...but given current demand, that far outstrips supply, I don’t expect Porsche to be in any rush to make the EV conversion....as it is, Porsche’s recently released Taycan is selling extremely well (better than the Tesla S....despite costing more than the S).

- Then there’s the growing reliability issues with Tesla’s: https://www.forbes.com/sites/edgarst...h=1f4bb7e35fbb

Tesla enjoyed a few years as king of the EV segment. That bloom is fading and the competition is gaining as more larger car companies, with significantly more capital than Tesla, begin to take aim at the growing EV segment. Up until very recently, Tesla had the EV sandbox all to themselves. That is changing. The fact that Ford will soon be selling a EV version of it’s top selling F-150 truck, tells you all you need to know that the big boys are taking aim. So, the only way Tesla will keep it’s head above water in the coming years is to count on the EV sandbox to grow...ie, their share will drop, but total sales may grow as more EV’s are sold.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-20-2021 at 01:22 AM.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:03 AM
Sal635
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain P
This!

The most interesting thing about Tesla is their disruption/destruction of the dealership distribution model. It’s antiquated, damages brands, and often fails to deliver value to the customer.

Porsche is less susceptible to this than other brands but all domestic brands, and many imports repeatedly have their brands tarnished by relying on third parties to sell their products.

Imagine have real fixed prices for Porsches (no adm) and being able to order them online. It would be amazing.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:11 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Sal635
This!

The most interesting thing about Tesla is their disruption/destruction of the dealership distribution model. It’s antiquated, damages brands, and often fails to deliver value to the customer.
As a point of fact - Tesla went to this model because they didn’;t have the capital to open dealerships all over the country. It was a necessity thing. Not saying it is a bad thing, just is the way it is.

Porsche is less susceptible to this than other brands but all domestic brands, and many imports repeatedly have their brands tarnished by relying on third parties to sell their products.
Sometimes, having multiple dealerships in a metropolitan area is a good thing for consumers. Every car I’ve ever bought, i played one dealerships’ price off against another. Where I live, we have 5 Porsche dealerships within about an hours drive of my house.....and was able to leverage that to get an outstanding discount.

Imagine have real fixed prices for Porsches (no adm) and being able to order them online. It would be amazing.
As said above, not necessarily a good thing, for the consumer, if you live in a large metropolitan area. Now, if you live in the middle of nowhere, with only one dealership within a day’s drive, then yea, having a fixed price works for you.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-20-2021 at 01:14 AM.
Captain P (06-20-2021)

Quick Reply: New infotainment system 6.0