Sponsored by:

New infotainment system 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 10:47 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche992
Apple music is important to me. I have a Tesla and Porsche software is a joke in comparison, so not expecting much but having Apple music integrated would be nice
I've seen this comment before - but/and, I use Apple Music via CarPlay everyday in my 992 wirelessly. So is this for Andriod users or am I misunderstanding?

Originally Posted by acdc2021
Relatively new to forum but I do fine it amusing to read one thread about too much technology in the 992 and other threads complaining that XYZ feature in the 992 is way inferior to a prior gen BMW, Mercedes, Tesla, etc.

I have to admit I find myself thinking the same thing after just a week with my new 992. The other cars in my garage are an Audi and Tesla. I prefer Apple CarPlay to the native Tesla MCU for managing my music and podcasts, and now that the 992 has wireless CarPlay unlike my Audi, that's a huge plus for me. Overall though the simplicity of the Tesla MCU is superior IMO. Ultimately I do think all car infotainment centers are going to lack in some way for particular users. This same conversation is happening in every car forum so it's not a Porsche problem. And for automotive companies, their primary focus is building cars, not software, so even Tesla is still not going to build as polished an operating system as a co like Apple. I wish there was a car company with the guts to just give us an empty dock space to pop in a third party ipad or other tablet, although I can see some practical and branding issues there.

When you think about super and hypercars, many of those small manufacturers outsource various components of their vehicle and that's when you get fun YouTube videos of people smugly pointing out that the air vents on some supercar is the same as the 1993 Camry. But for the manufacturer it's a function of limited resources, efficiency, and focusing on what they think they do better than others. At some point when companies get large, they feel the need to do everything.
While carplay is nice, I am surprised at how far behind Porsche is in the electronics..make that electronics ergonomics.

Last edited by doug_999; 06-19-2021 at 11:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Schwarz992C4S (06-21-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 01:56 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaye Bass
...and Tesla interiors are definitely low rent.
^^ This, with a couple of exclamation points.

Reason why I skipped on the Tesla. But to each their own.
Old 06-19-2021, 02:00 PM
Porsche992
Pro

Received 423 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
^^ This, with a couple of exclamation points.

Reason why I skipped on the Tesla. But to each their own.
Yes , usually people who never had a Tesla bring up the interior issue. Its a bit funny because 5e tech is out of this world and thats what you need. Also safety. I much rather be in a Tesla than any Porsche if something happens , so even tho interiors are cool it should never be why you pick a car over the other
Old 06-19-2021, 02:09 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

You guys need to see the new Tesla plaid hardware and software. Thats what Porsche is competing with , not car play. Porsche makes great old century cars, i love driving my 992 but Tesla is going to destroy Porsche if they dont fix their software
RE: “Tesla is going to destroy Porsche if they don’t fix their software.”

Doubtful.

I could be wrong here, but seriously doubt many 992 buyers are sayin, “mmm, Tesla software is better, so screw the 992...”. As an antidotal story, my Porsche dealership has, or had (last time I was at the dealership) no fewer than 3 Tesla S (one ludicrous model) cars that were for sale (trade-ins).

For my money, the Porsche CarPlay and entertainment part of the car is fine. Not perfect, but more than good enough for me. I rate it a 7-8 out of 10. But the driving pleasure and overall design/quality of the car is a 10+. Porsche hit it out of the park with the 992.

My main (and only complaint about the PCM is - I wish Porsche would get a heads-up display, like BMW and others. Taking the drivers attention/focus away from the road, and having to look down to make selections on the PCM, is just poor driving ergonomics, IMO. However, the epitome of poor driving ergonomics is Tesla’s center screen...yikes...accident waiting to happen.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-19-2021 at 02:16 PM.
Mark S (06-19-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 02:12 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Yes , usually people who never had a Tesla bring up the interior issue. Its a bit funny because 5e tech is out of this world and thats what you need. Also safety. I much rather be in a Tesla than any Porsche if something happens , so even tho interiors are cool it should never be why you pick a car over the other
Porsche 992 >> Tesla S in nearly every driving and ascetic metric.

Now, if autonomous driving is your thing, then quite frankly, you shouldn’t be looking at Porsche’s. Face facts, Tesla is NOT a drivers car, while Porsche’s are. IMO, the two cars (Tesla S and the Porsche 992) are two very different animals that complete in different car buying segments.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-19-2021 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 02:19 PM
Porsche992
Pro

RE: “Tesla is going to destroy Porsche if they don’t fix their software.”

Doubtful.

I could be wrong here, but seriously doubt many 992 buyers are sayin, “mmm, Tesla software is better, so screw the 992...”. As an antidotal story, my Porsche dealership has, or had (last time I was at the dealership) no fewer than 3 Tesla S (one ludicrous model) cars that were for sale (trade-ins).

For my money, the Porsche CarPlay and entertainment part of the car is fine. Not perfect, but more than good enough for me. I rate it a 7-8 out of 10. But the driving pleasure and overall design/quality of the car is a 10+. Porsche hit it out of the park with the 992.

My main (and only complaint about the PCM is - I wish Porsche would get a heads-up display, like BMW and others. Taking the drivers attention/focus away from the road, and having to make selections on the PCM, is just poor driving ergonomics, IMO. The epitome of poor driving ergonomics is Tesla’s center screen...yikes...accident waiting to happen.
you are thinking infotainment software, im talking battery management and yes autonomous driving in the future. If Porsche cant even make a decent rear view camera or infotainment software they are screwed. All cars in the future will be fully autonomous and people will probably not even be allowed to drive. I love my 992 but thats because i grew up with a manual transmission. Its a dream car. But kids are not looking at that, they want Teslas.
Old 06-19-2021, 02:20 PM
Porsche992
Pro

Porsche 992 >> Tesla S in nearly every driving and ascetic metric.

Now, if autonomous driving is your thing, then quite frankly, you shouldn’t be looking at Porsche’s. Face facts, Tesla is NOT a drivers car, while Porsche’s are.
the 992 cant play a real video game inside the car. I understand it doesnt matter to you, or me.. but kids care. So when i say Tesla will destroy Porsche im talking about kids when they grow up, in a decade
Old 06-19-2021, 02:39 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

the 992 cant play a real video game inside the car. I understand it doesnt matter to you, or me.. but kids care. So when i say Tesla will destroy Porsche im talking about kids when they grow up, in a decade
RE: “the 992 can’t play real video games inside the car”

Is this for real? A real concern?

May I suggest you get your kids a laptop or iPad to play “video games” while dad is driving? But even if they could play video games on the PCM, I, sure as hell don’t want them tying up the PCM.

The economic reality of car trends are - Tesla sells exclusively electric cars, and that gave them a unique market position being one of the first to seriously play in this segment. Now, every car manufacturer from Ford to Porsche has introduced electric vehicles to their menus. China has introduced their own electric cars that will go head to head with Tesla in the all important Asia market. Being first to market is often a huge advantage, but staying there takes huge resources. Case in point: The Tesla S is dated, and has been for a while.

Point being - I don’t expect Tesla to be a dominant force in this market in about a decade. Competition will insure that. I’m pretty sure Musk sees the handwriting on the wall and has begun to seriously divest into other businesses.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-19-2021 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 02:41 PM
Porsche992
Pro

RE: “the 992 can’t play real video games inside the car”

May I suggest you get your kids a laptop or iPad to play “video games” while dad is driving? But even if they could play video games on the PCM, I, sure as hell don’t want them tying up the PCM.

The economic reality of car trends are - Tesla sells exclusively electric cars, and that gave them a unique market position being one of the first to seriously play on this segment. Now, every car manufacturer from Ford to Porsche has introduced electric vehicles to their menus. China has introduced their own electric cars that will go head to head with Tesla in the all important Asia market. Being first to market is often a huge advantage, but staying there takes huge resources.

Point being - I don’t expect Tesla to be a dominant force in this market in about a decade. Competition will insure that. I’m pretty sure Musk sees the handwriting on the wall and had begun to seriously divest into other businesses.
haha dude. You are totally off here, but ok have a good day
Old 06-19-2021, 02:46 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

haha dude. You are totally off here, but ok have a good day
Sure. So says the “dude” worried about kids being abl;e to play video games in the 992...and if Porsche doesn’t correct such things, Tesla will “crush” Porsche. Too funny.

Bye, bye.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
Epeeist (07-24-2021), Mark S (06-19-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 02:51 PM
Porsche992
Pro

Sure. So says the “dude” worried about kids being abl;e to play video games in the 992...and if Porsche doesn’t correct such things, Tesla will “crush” Porsche. Too funny.

Bye, bye.
wasnt talking about the 992. Porsche software runs throught the line up. I believe the macan is the car that keeps Porsche afloat? Or Cayenne? .. nothing drives like a 992, thats why i got one. But if you want Porsche (the company) to survive.. then their software needs to be up to par to Tesla is what im saying
Old 06-19-2021, 03:08 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

wasnt talking about the 992. Porsche software runs throught the line up. I believe the macan is the car that keeps Porsche afloat? Or Cayenne? .. nothing drives like a 992, thats why i got one. But if you want Porsche (the company) to survive.. then their software needs to be up to par to Tesla is what im saying
You need to get out more.

https://www.worth.com/why-porsche-is...ry-auto-brand/

Per you comment about “Tesla will crush Porsche” , in a decade or so, if they don’t improve their PCM.....is so, so far off base it’s hard to take that comment seriously, “dude”. While a decade from now I expect Tesla will still be a player in the sale of EV’s, their market position is already declining as more “big boys” jump into the water:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ket-share-loss

But the end, Porsche made their reputation on well built, ergonomically attractive and reliable performance vehicles. That said, not having the latest and greatest infotainment system will NOT deter many buyers looking for a vehicle steep in Porsche’s rich heritage of making performance oriented cars. That’s the point.

PS - I have yet to meet a kid in my neighborhood that didn’t have their own, latest and greatest laptop/tablet for playing video games. So, not being able to play their video game on the family car is no hardship to today’s youth.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-19-2021 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:12 PM
Porsche992
Pro

You need to get out more.

https://www.worth.com/why-porsche-is...ry-auto-brand/

Per you comment about “Tesla will crush Porsche” , in a decade or so, if they don’t improve their PCM.....is so, so far off base it’s hard to take that comment seriously, “dude”. While a decade from now I expect Tesla will still be a player in the sale of EV’s, their market position is already declining as more “big boys” jump into the water:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ket-share-loss

But the end, Porsche made their reputation on well built, ergonomically attractive and reliable performance vehicles. That said, not having the latest and greatest infotainment system will NOT deter many buyers looking for a vehicle steep in Porsche’s rich heritage of making performance oriented cars. That’s the point.
Teslas are more reliable than Porsche. I havent been to service in years, and here i am in a Porsche forum because my 992 came with different color panels.. also Tesla is worth 10 times what Porsche is worth, its not even a race anymore 😂

Last edited by Porsche992; 06-19-2021 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:17 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Teslas are more reliable than Porsche. I havent been to service in years, and here i am in a Porsche forum because my 992 came with different color panels 😂

Umm, pretty much ALL electrics are more reliable that traditional vehicles. Nothing new there. But compared to other cars in their segment, Porsches are rated very highly in terms of reliability.

The appropriate comparison you are looking for is comparing a Tesla to the Taycan.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:19 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Teslas are more reliable than Porsche. I havent been to service in years, and here i am in a Porsche forum because my 992 came with different color panels.. also Tesla is worth 10 times what Porsche is worth, its not even a race anymore 😂
RE: “Tesla is worth 10X what Porsche is worth”

Are you referring to resale? What model? Or the value of the company?

For the record, Tesla’s Net Income for 2020 was: $721 million
For the record, Porsche’s Net Income for 2020 was: $3.75 billion

Most of Tesla’s net worth is in stock, which Musk manipulates.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-19-2021 at 03:34 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
Epeeist (07-24-2021), jnkirk1974 (06-19-2021), M3Inline6 (06-19-2021)

Quick Reply: New infotainment system 6.0