Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What matters most to you if you were buying a used 992?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 04:11 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,182 Likes on 632 Posts
Default What matters most to you if you were buying a used 992?

I always buy my cars new and order the equipment that is important to me. I do keep in mind the ease of selling when it’s time. Always remember when I bought a new 94 F355 in a ruby red color called Russo Monza beautiful color. When it came time to sell the car it was like trying to sell heart disease.. Because it wasn’t the classic Ferrari red! Just curious to see what are the most important things to forum members when buying a used 992? Color, suspension, interior leather, transmission,wheels ? Anything else? What are the deal breakers? Carl

Last edited by 4carl; 06-09-2021 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:53 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

All of the above for me. That's why it is getting harder and harder for me to buy second hand as I get more picky. Every car I see on the lot has $6K in options I don't want and is missing $6k in options I do want...maybe with the 992 this has gone to +-$10K, LOL. The value proposition for used is less attractive than it used to be to me. I used to be a rapid CPO fan.

Actually I have only bought three cars brand new. All of them yellow. Never had a problem selling, although resale isn't part of my calculation when I buy a car. I go in planning to keep the car forever...or at least until I die or the car dies.
The following 2 users liked this post by Semitone:
doug_999 (06-10-2021), M3Inline6 (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 05:03 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,187 Likes on 3,025 Posts

I get concerned when I see very low miles. Cars should be driven and cars that aren’t driven can have diabolical problems.
The following 4 users liked this post by detansinn:
Glerald (08-08-2021), Master Deep (06-09-2021), russbert (06-09-2021), Tupper (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 06:01 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 787 Posts

Mileage and service records would be critical to me in a used 992. As detansinn has said, a low mileage car - driven less than 5000 miles a year - would be of less interest than a daily driver. No tolerance for "delayed" service; gotta be at least by the book and major services done only by the dealer while in warranty. Also, I'd pass on a car with ANY mods other than high-quality forged aftermarket wheels.

Options that would be non-starters for me on a used 992:
Sunroof
Chalk, Lava Orange or Python Green paint
Manual transmission
Sport Design package
Aerokit
14-way seats
Any interior color other than black
Deviated seat centres
Seat belts in any color other than black
SPASM
Seat ventilation
PDCC
RAS
PCCBs
Palado wood anywhere
Side window trim in silver

Must-have options (no chance I'd buy a car without all 4, or all 5 if C4):
Sport Chrono
Sport Exhaust
LCA
Surround View cameras
(C4 only) PTV+

Unwanted options that wouldn't necessarily be deal-breakers but don't want/don't like:
FAL
GT Sport steering wheel
LKA
ACC
Full leather interior
Spyder, Exclusive Design or Turbo wheels
Race-Tex anywhere

Bonus points for used cars with the following:
18-way seats (preferred seat; would only consider 4-ways otherwise)
Carrera Classic wheels
CF roof (2x bonus points if the car is Agate Grey or Black)
Extra set of Porsche winter 19/20 or 20/21 wheels

Last edited by gcurnew; 06-09-2021 at 08:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gcurnew:
detansinn (06-09-2021), Schwarz992C4S (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 06:10 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,061 Likes on 533 Posts

As long as its not a "Dentist Spec" and has all the options I fancy, game on!
The following users liked this post:
M3Inline6 (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 09:17 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I get concerned when I see very low miles. Cars should be driven and cars that aren’t driven can have diabolical problems.

How would you define low? The reason I ask is sometimes having more than one car, especially one with more utility/ability to carry more people, results in something like a Carrera being driven less.

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Mileage and service records would be critical to me in a used 992. As detansinn has said, a low mileage car - driven less than 5000 miles a year - would be of less interest than a daily driver. No tolerance for "delayed" service; gotta be at least by the book and major services done only by the dealer while in warranty. Also, I'd pass on a car with ANY mods other than high-quality forged aftermarket wheels.

Sunroof
Chalk, Lava Orange or Python Green paint
Manual transmission
Sport Design package
Aerokit
14-way seats
Any interior color other than black
Deviated seat centres
Seat belts in any color other than black
SPASM
Seat ventilation
PDCC
RAS
PCCBs
Palado wood anywhere
Side window trim in silver

Must-have options (no chance I'd buy a car without all 4, or all 5 if C4):
Sport Chrono
Sport Exhaust
LCA
Surround View cameras
(C4 only) PTV+

Unwanted options that wouldn't necessarily be deal-breakers but don't want/don't like:
FAL
GT Sport steering wheel
LKA
ACC
Full leather interior
Spyder, Exclusive Design or Turbo wheels
Race-Tex anywhere

Bonus points for used cars with the following:
18-way seats (preferred seat; would only consider 4-ways otherwise)
Carrera Classic wheels
CF roof (2x bonus points if the car is Agate Grey or Black)
Extra set of Porsche winter 19/20 or 20/21 wheels
See my post above. I'm just curious. It's interesting to see such a difference. Some love low(er) mileage cars while it seems to be the opposite here. I might put 5-7k miles a year on my incoming C2S, but I have a commuter and I wouldn't ever drive the C2S to work. Plus I divide some automotive time to riding my bike as well.
detansinn (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 09:43 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
As long as its not a "Dentist Spec" and has all the options I fancy, game on!
"Dentist spec", that is hilarious.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:55 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,534 Posts

Interesting on the mileage; I work from home so none of my cars do much more than 5k per year, unless we do a decent road trip. But I'd regard them all as daily drivers.

Back to the question, I'd skip on anything without a sunroof (prefer steel roof on a light colored car) and anything with a garish paint or interior color. Also no memory seats is a big negative as is standard sound. Other than that, service history of course important and no major accidents. Carfax is far too fussy there, a small scrape is fine if fixed well.

But you should have kept the 355. Just saying....
The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
detansinn (06-09-2021), M3Inline6 (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 10:19 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 839 Likes on 418 Posts

Manual
Coupe
Glass Roof
No accidents
Low mileage
CPO
no funky colors like yellow
Old 06-09-2021, 10:48 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,182 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Interesting on the mileage; I work from home so none of my cars do much more than 5k per year, unless we do a decent road trip. But I'd regard them all as daily drivers.

Back to the question, I'd skip on anything without a sunroof (prefer steel roof on a light colored car) and anything with a garish paint or interior color. Also no memory seats is a big negative as is standard sound. Other than that, service history of course important and no major accidents. Carfax is far too fussy there, a small scrape is fine if fixed well.

But you should have kept the 355. Just saying....
Sold the 355 because I like to buy high and sell low. Didn’t want to break my streak .. carl
The following 5 users liked this post by 4carl:
aggie57 (06-09-2021), detansinn (06-09-2021), Flashart (08-08-2021), member67 (08-08-2021), SamD (06-10-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 10:59 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,187 Likes on 3,025 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
How would you define low? The reason I ask is sometimes having more than one car, especially one with more utility/ability to carry more people, results in something like a Carrera being driven less
I’d define “too low” as less than 3k miles/year. That’s not even emptying the tank of gas once per month. Lots of problems when a car is driven that little — leaky seals, sediments, and more. Things literally decompose in a car and it results in expensive and difficult to diagnose problems. It’s genuine abuse and I would never touch a used car that’s been driven so infrequently. When you don’t drive a car, it may look clean and shiny, but beneath the surface, it becomes a full on ****box.

And yes, I frequently hear the depreciation argument, but if you’re so worried about depreciation that it prevents you from enjoying the car by driving it, it doesn’t make much sense to own the car. There are better places to park your money.

Oh, I practice what I preach here. I am coming up to 20k miles on my 992 C4S. I walk to work and it’s one of four cars. Drive your 911 — these things are best enjoyed in motion.

Last edited by detansinn; 06-09-2021 at 11:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
gcurnew (06-11-2021), M3Inline6 (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 11:34 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,052 Likes on 5,250 Posts

Price.

Ceteris Paribus, of course.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:09 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,280 Posts

I believe there is the standard stuff like a Clean Carfax, no Salvage Title, etc. Beyond those sort of things, I want to see an interior and a frunk that are immaculate. no evidence of a cigarette or cigar smoking, no aftermarket "goodies" or personal "improvements". Pictures of the car at: Laguna Seca, Willow Springs, Sears Point, etc. hanging on the garage wall would be very bad. As would an extra set of wheels with competition tires on them. ! I'd like to see a Service Record, the more detailed the better, All the original paperwork that came in the glove box; the owners manual, warranty manual, etc. If it's a private party sale, I really like to see an owner that is proud of the car they're selling and how they've taken care of it. I want to see a car and an owner who are more OCD than I am about my cars. Lastly, as others have mentioned, no "unique" colors or interior decorating. I once was selling a Corvette and I got a lot of calls. Almost without exception one of the first questions was; "What color is it?" As it was neither red nor black, I would almost immediately be handed off to the dial tone. Lesson learned! People don't usually buy a used car because they want a used car. Folks buy a used car because it generally costs considerably less than a new car. The closer that used car mimics the look, the feel and the myriad of all the most popular things that a new version represents, the better it will be for the seller as well as the buyer.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 06-10-2021 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:19 AM
reloader-1
Rennlist Member

Received 428 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew

Seat ventilation
huh? I understood the rest, but you’d seriously pass up on the perfect spec 992 if it had… seat ventilation?
Old 06-10-2021, 02:22 AM
Ninja_Bum
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by reloader-1
huh? I understood the rest, but you’d seriously pass up on the perfect spec 992 if it had… seat ventilation?
Maybe the dude has bad gas and doesn't fancy the seats blowing his own brand into his face immediately?
garthg (08-09-2021)

Quick Reply: What matters most to you if you were buying a used 992?