Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What matters most to you if you were buying a used 992?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 12:31 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
What qualifies as a short trip, and why are short trips REALLY bad for the car? I drive my C2S to and from work everyday, 3.6 miles one way, and it takes about 15 minutes. The car gets up over 180 deg. F on every drive.

Living in an urban environment without a long commute, this car is either going to be a daily driver with trips of this length as a part of the car's life, or it will not be a daily driver. Not every car can be daily driven for miles on backroads every time it's used.
I’ve been told by numerous mechanics that what’s important is that the car be driven on a regular basis (few times per week?), and long enough for things to warm up. Now, with EV’s, that axiom may have to change?
Old 08-09-2021, 02:37 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,534 Posts

What qualifies as a short trip, and why are short trips REALLY bad for the car? I drive my C2S to and from work everyday, 3.6 miles one way, and it takes about 15 minutes. The car gets up over 180 deg. F on every drive.

Living in an urban environment without a long commute, this car is either going to be a daily driver with trips of this length as a part of the car's life, or it will not be a daily driver. Not every car can be daily driven for miles on backroads every time it's used.
Short trips per say aren't what's bad, it's that the car spends a lot of it's time running cold which is where most of the wear happens. At least that's the 'wisdom'; there's been so much advance in oils and metallurgy over the last couple of decades I'd defer to someone who really knows that stuff.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:53 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Short trips per say aren't what's bad, it's that the car spends a lot of it's time running cold which is where most of the wear happens. At least that's the 'wisdom'; there's been so much advance in oils and metallurgy over the last couple of decades I'd defer to someone who really knows that stuff.
The 911 is often touted as one of the most usable, daily-drivable sports cars available. If that is really the case, it better be able to handle shorter drives around town doing the things that people do with their daily driver vehicles: Drive to/from work, run to the grocery store, drop the kid(s) off at practice, going out for dinner, and whatever other errands/events may compile someone to travel around town for relatively short periods of time. If it is not ok to use a modern 911 in such a manner, the car stays in the garage and will be a lower mileage example.

I get it: Longer drives are generally better than shorter drives, and I love taking lengthy jaunts on backroads when time is available. But it is definitely not always the case, at least for me.
Old 08-09-2021, 03:31 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,052 Likes on 5,250 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
The 911 is often touted as one of the most usable, daily-drivable sports cars available. If that is really the case, it better be able to handle shorter drives around town doing the things that people do with their daily driver vehicles: Drive to/from work, run to the grocery store, drop the kid(s) off at practice, going out for dinner, and whatever other errands/events may compile someone to travel around town for relatively short periods of time. If it is not ok to use a modern 911 in such a manner, the car stays in the garage and will be a lower mileage example.

I get it: Longer drives are generally better than shorter drives, and I love taking lengthy jaunts on backroads when time is available. But it is definitely not always the case, at least for me.
I don't think that's what people mean by "short trips" or "shorter drives".

I think short trips or shorter drives are the sort that are less than 5 minutes, or short enough where the engine does not reach normal operating temperature, i.e. oil temperature around 220F (or ~105C), a bit lower if in sport mode at 212F (~100C).

There is nothing a modern 992 911 can't do in terms of daily duties and driving, but like any ICE car (a 911 or anything else), the engine needs to reach its operating temp to avoid negative effects down the road (no pun intended).

Last edited by ipse dixit; 08-09-2021 at 03:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gcurnew (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 09:08 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

Even on hot days, my car takes a good 15 minutes to reach an oil temperature of 212 degrees. In the winter, I'm expecting that time to extend to about 25 minutes. I'm trying to use my car for longer trips to comply with the admonition that short trips are bad for the engine, but in real life, that is a hard thing to do consistently.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:06 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,052 Likes on 5,250 Posts

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
Even on hot days, my car takes a good 15 minutes to reach an oil temperature of 212 degrees. In the winter, I'm expecting that time to extend to about 25 minutes. I'm trying to use my car for longer trips to comply with the admonition that short trips are bad for the engine, but in real life, that is a hard thing to do consistently.
That doesn't sound right, my friend.

Are those 15 minutes driving down hill, in neutral, with a stiff backwind?
Old 08-09-2021, 11:44 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
That doesn't sound right, my friend.

Are those 15 minutes driving down hill, in neutral, with a stiff backwind?
Well, maybe something is wrong-- but it really does take a good ten minutes to go from about 180 to over 210.

Quick Reply: What matters most to you if you were buying a used 992?