Sponsored by:

Manual Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 09:52 AM
Johnboston
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Manual Transmission Question

With the manual transmission, I understand the auto rev match on downshift is not active when in normal mode, but is active by default in sport and sport plus. Can this be disabled in sport or sport plus? I have read conflicting reports. While there seems to be no direct way to disengage the auto rev match in sport/sport plus, some seem to suggest that auto rev match disengages in these drive modes if you turn off the stability management. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:01 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

On the 991 you could disengage PSM, and knock out rev-matching. Can you do this on the 992, too??
Old 11-18-2020, 11:12 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,564 Likes on 721 Posts

You cannot disable rev match in sport or sport+ - it is only disabled by default in normal mode.

Would be nice to have the option, but alas, you cannot.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:38 AM
Johnboston
Advanced

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
You cannot disable rev match in sport or sport+ - it is only disabled by default in normal mode.

Would be nice to have the option, but alas, you cannot.
Thanks for the response. Just to confirm, auto rev match stays engaged even when you disable PSM in sport/sport+? Sounds like it didn’t work that way in the 991 generation based on LexVan’s post above. I understand there is no way to directly disengage rev match in these modes, but was wondering whether it disengages when PSM is off like it did in the 991 generation. Thx again.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:44 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnboston
Thanks for the response. Just to confirm, auto rev match stays engaged even when you disable PSM in sport/sport+? Sounds like it didn’t work that way in the 991 generation based on LexVan’s post above. I understand there is no way to directly disengage rev match in these modes, but was wondering whether it disengages when PSM is off like it did in the 991 generation. Thx again.
No it doesn't disable rev match - I will try it again, but I have fiddle with the PSM being off, and pretty sure it still rev matched. Will need to double confirm that, but I do not think it disables the rev match.

I typically drive in sport mode, and PSM is disabled in that mode, and rev match is enabled. So my assumption in Sports+ with PCM disabled, the same result.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:54 AM
Johnboston
Advanced

No it doesn't disable rev match - I will try it again, but I have fiddle with the PSM being off, and pretty sure it still rev matched. Will need to double confirm that, but I do not think it disables the rev match.

I typically drive in sport mode, and PSM is disabled in that mode, and rev match is enabled. So my assumption in Sports+ with PCM disabled, the same result.
Thanks Richard. Appreciate the quick response. Will be interested to see what you learn on this. For what it’s worth, I don’t think PSM is disabled automatically in sport or sport+. Rather, it has to be manually disabled in those modes as well (the limits may be higher before PSM engages in those modes, but I believe PSM is on in all modes unless manually disengaged.). Thx again.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:02 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnboston
Thanks Richard. Appreciate the quick response. Will be interested to see what you learn on this. For what it’s worth, I don’t think PSM is disabled automatically in sport or sport+. Rather, it has to be manually disabled in those modes as well (the limits may be higher before PSM engages in those modes, but I believe PSM is on in all modes unless manually disengaged.). Thx again.
You are correct - I should have said the PDCC thing is off in sport and on in sport+.

I will take it for a drive and try it to confirm.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:17 PM
Johnboston
Advanced

You are correct - I should have said the PDCC thing is off in sport and on in sport+.

Great. Thx.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:58 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,426 Posts

I'll check too. There are three PSM modes, normal PSM which is on when you are in 'normal' mode, PSM Sport which you select by pressing the PSM button briefly, and PSM off which you select by holding the PSM button down for 2 seconds. According to the manual PSM off is only available on cars with Sports Chrono which all manual cars have.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:55 PM
Osv
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

No, PDCC is always active. It just switches to sport mode when engaging Sport+. By pressing the chassis button you can switch all equipped chassis systems (PASM, PDCC, RAS) from normal to sports mode no matter the drive mode.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:00 PM
Johnboston
Advanced

Originally Posted by aggie57
I'll check too. There are three PSM modes, normal PSM which is on when you are in 'normal' mode, PSM Sport which you select by pressing the PSM button briefly, and PSM off which you select by holding the PSM button down for 2 seconds. According to the manual PSM off is only available on cars with Sports Chrono which all manual cars have.
Thanks aggie57. Look forward to learning what you find out.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:37 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,426 Posts

So went to get some milk.
  • PSM remains fully active in both Sport and Sport+ modes, is only changed via press of the button.
  • In PSM Sport (i.e. short press of button) rev match is on / enabled.
  • With PSM off ( (i.e. long press of button) rev match is off / disabled.
Would make more sense to me for rev match to be disabled in PSM Sport as well but better still a little button on the console.....
Old 11-18-2020, 07:29 PM
Johnboston
Advanced

• PSM remains fully active in both Sport and Sport+ modes, is only changed via press of the button.
Would make more sense to me for rev match to be disabled in PSM Sport as well but better still a little button on the console.....
Thanks aggie57. Appreciate the info. I’m a little disappointed that the auto rev matching isn’t disabled in PSM Sport, but I guess it’s good that at least it will be disabled if PSM is fully off — though not sure how much I will be in sport/sport+ mode and be comfortable driving with PSM fully off. Oh well. Thanks again for the info — though sounds like you didn’t need much of an excuse for a milk run to try this out.
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 08:08 PM
Kcposche25
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

i bet getting milk is something you can say is fun now! I can’t wait till the day i can get mine and say the same! Good to know that you can disable rev match! Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (11-18-2020)
Old 08-10-2021, 06:19 AM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

Any idea if it can be disabled in individual mode? Would like to drive with sport plus mode but turn off rev matching.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Question