Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What matters most to you if you were buying a used 992?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 11:21 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,168 Likes on 621 Posts

Do you know it’s funny. I am the only one that I would buy a used car from. I Wayover maintain my cars .I do things for maintenance it won’t make a difference for years. Problem is I don’t keep the cars that long to get any benefit from the maintenance. Things like changing the oil and filter every 5000 miles, regularly cleaning and treating the CV joint boots So they don’t crack and destroy the joint. Never kept a car long enough for it to happen but I’ve seen it happen a lot. That’s the problem with OCD. When I trade. a car to my dealer I agree to talk to any prospective owner .I’ve sold three cars for them including my last GT 4. Carl

Last edited by 4carl; 06-10-2021 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:37 AM
por356
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 150 Posts

Wouldn't want a CPO 992 that spent the first part of it's life at a Porsche Experience Center......
The following 4 users liked this post by por356:
achilleas101 (08-09-2021), aggie57 (06-10-2021), Bluehighways (06-10-2021), Raybold7 (08-09-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 01:38 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
@M3Inline6 Regarding mileage: I'd want a used 992 that was driven year-round, not stored over winter. A point A to point A "cruising" car, or a car driven for just a few hundred miles a month for 6-8 months a year and sits most of the time will deteriorate faster than a car that's literally used as a DD and sees 8,000 to 10,000 miles a year. I'd want one that's driven pretty hard, by an enthusiast, who has maintained it fastidiously, regularly romps to redline, knows why short trips are REALLY bad for the car and avoids them whenever possible.
Im close to this, however I generally garage my car for about 2 or 2 and 1/2 months per year. But even then I might take it out for a 30 minute run just to prevent flat spotting on a warmer winter day

I drive it hard and regularly floor the throttle (I even started a thread titled that)
I am at 4500 miles after close to 7 months
I rarely do any drives of less than 30 minutes in it

Last edited by Tupper; 06-10-2021 at 01:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gcurnew (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 01:58 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 167 Posts

If I am buying a used Porsche I look for models with expensive options like PCCB and leather everywhere because they add almost zero value on the used market so I get them for "free". I think that list now includes RAS FAL and PDCC. I also stay away from silver cars because there are just too many of them. I think one item that can make the biggest visual impact and thus affect value beyond their cost is upgraded wheels. The base wheels almost always look frumpy to me, especially if left silver. I also stay away from black used cars because most people do not maintain them adequately and the finish is usually full of swirls. The current owner's attitude also plays a big part of the transaction. Some are almost impossible to deal with so I move on.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:08 PM
ctdubl07
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Price.

Ceteris Paribus, of course.
And CPO'd....would never buy any highline car thats doenst have a warranty. If you dont, might as well buy a boat and invest in a restuarant while your at it.
Options or a cars capabilities are useless if they dont work or havent been maintained.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:55 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,849 Likes on 1,002 Posts

@M3Inline6 Regarding mileage: I'd want a used 992 that was driven year-round, not stored over winter. A point A to point A "cruising" car, or a car driven for just a few hundred miles a month for 6-8 months a year and sits most of the time will deteriorate faster than a car that's literally used as a DD and sees 8,000 to 10,000 miles a year. I'd want one that's driven pretty hard, by an enthusiast, who has maintained it fastidiously, regularly romps to redline, knows why short trips are REALLY bad for the car and avoids them whenever possible.
That makes sense. I get where you’re going. Having a second/commuter vehicle has led me to treat my play cars like the toys they are; the same applies to my bike(s). The mileage(s) are low, but the miles are hard.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:40 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 952 Posts

Options that would be non-starters for me on a used 992:
Lava Orange, Python Green, Yellow, Black, Miami Blue, or Red paint colors
PDK
PDCC
ACC (it's a manual)
LKA (it doesn't work and it's annoying)
Paldao Wood anywhere
Side Window trim in silver
CF Roof
Black Wheels
Blacked out Badges unless on a White or Chalk exterior
Badge removal

Must-have options:
Manual w/ Sport Chrono
Sport Exhaust

Unwanted options that wouldn't necessarily be deal-breakers but don't want/don't like:
Sunroof
FAL
GT Sport steering wheel
Spyder wheels
Race-Tex anywhere

Bonus points for used cars with the following:
18-way seats (preferred seat; would only consider 4-ways otherwise)
Carrera Classic wheels
SPASM
RAS
Crests on Headrests
Light Interior (no Beige / Sand)
Extra set of Porsche winter 19/20 or 20/21 wheels
gcurnew (06-10-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 03:24 AM
love_my_porsche
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedster
If I am buying a used Porsche I look for models with expensive options like PCCB and leather everywhere because they add almost zero value on the used market so I get them for "free". I think that list now includes RAS FAL and PDCC. I also stay away from silver cars because there are just too many of them. I think one item that can make the biggest visual impact and thus affect value beyond their cost is upgraded wheels. The base wheels almost always look frumpy to me, especially if left silver. I also stay away from black used cars because most people do not maintain them adequately and the finish is usually full of swirls. The current owner's attitude also plays a big part of the transaction. Some are almost impossible to deal with so I move on.
Interesting comment, in Europe the most popular 911 colour is black (in Germany itself it's over 2 to 1 black to silver), then white or silver, blue, grey blah blah..
I recently sold my 718 Boxter GTS (after 4 months ownership) to a UK dealer (not OPC) for a nice profit and he told me that he had more buyers lined up for a silver 718 then any other colour.

On wheels, I think the standard Carrera S wheels do look frumpy (slightly better in black or platinum). Although I quite like the base Carrera wheels (although they are 19/20).

Old 06-11-2021, 10:37 AM
Victor C3
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 52 Posts

One thing to keep in mind is that most people who participate in any special interest forum aren’t going to be your usual enthusiast. I’d imagine that people who post replies on rennlist are much more picky about what they want than your normal Porsche owner. Additionally, I would gander that people posting in the 992 forum more than likely didn’t (and usually don’t) buy used 911’s. They spec’d their 911 the way they wanted it when they bought it new and never had to settle when searching for a 911 on the used market.

Just a suggestion, but you might get a better response and find a better gauge of potential used 911 buyers if you posted the same question in the 991 forum - where I suspect a higher percentage of those owners bought their 911’s used.
The following 2 users liked this post by Victor C3:
M3Inline6 (06-12-2021), Raybold7 (08-09-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 01:25 AM
luckycanine
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Yup. Makes the seat uncomfortable and it looks like cra* when stuff is spilled on it and the ventilation holes get plugged up. My wife and I regularly eat and drink in our 992, and spills just wipe off on our 18-ways with no ventilation. Next to "no sunroof" this is near the top of the list of stuff I don't want in a 911.
Not sure I fully understand this. Aren't the regular non-ventilated seats also perforated leather and thus also have food trapping holes? Mind sharing some photos?
Old 08-08-2021, 10:09 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 878 Likes on 416 Posts

Non smoker, < 20 miles.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:44 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts

Interesting how different the responses are. I have purchased 3 911's in the last 11 years. Two were CPO and one was new, all coupes. The first thing I always look at is the price in comparison to the current market. Of course a clean Carfax with no damage. A one owner car is preferred with service records. Color is high on my list but I'm always willing to consider a few colors if the option list matches my wants. I prefer to stay away from black only because they take too much work to keep clean. I would like the mileage to be around 6K to 8K a year. As far as options - right now it would have to be PDK with Sport Chrono. Ventilated seats are high on my list, I've had them in the last two cars and would not want to buy without them, it is pretty humid in the summer here. I would want either 14 way or 18 way seats - I've had both and find them both comfortable enough for me. I like PSE but would not reject a car without it. I would want no aftermarket alterations to the engine or exhaust, prefer stock. I don't much care for the sunroof but wouldn't consider it a deal breaker. Some remaining warranty is nice - I like CPO cars because buying from a dealer is usually easier for me than a private seller. I know I pay a premium for that but I prefer having a corporate entity to deal with if issues arrive. I like an upgraded radio, probably the Bose and I do like to have the PCM with nav system. I like LCA but hate LKA but neither are deal breakers. Things like FAL, PDCC and RAS are take or leave items for me. I don't care if the car was tracked - they are made for that. Really not much else would matter, the standard interior is fine and if it was upgraded, a simple color scheme would be desirable. So, I guess what I'm saying is that there will be a buyer for any combination basically.
gcurnew (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 10:55 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

In order of preference to me:

(1) Has to be 911 S (or higher), with sports exhaust and chrono.
(2) In excellent condition - both inside and out.
(3) Maintenance records, including warranty in/ out of warranty. Any car with major work, even under warranty, would not be considered.
(4) Neutral color(s)…ie, no yellow or lime green for me. Silver, AG, gray, black, white all good.
(5) Pricing.
(6) Must have modern safety features, such as lane change, ACC/PID, LKA, etc
(7) Parking assistance
(8) Sunroof - metal or glass is fine.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 08-08-2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:49 PM
rappy992
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Having bought a couple of used Porsches, I'd look for....
1) Serviced at regular intervals at the dealership
2) One owner (great if you can talk to him. My first purchase, I could see he *loved* the car)
3) Cannot have a cluster of repairs in a short time
4) No accidents worse than a fender-bender, not sure that is always discoverable without asking directly
5) Not from an area with a recent flood or hurricane (crazy, but a few seem to pop up)

Last edited by rappy992; 08-09-2021 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:21 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

..., knows why short trips are REALLY bad for the car and avoids them whenever possible.
What qualifies as a short trip, and why are short trips REALLY bad for the car? I drive my C2S to and from work everyday, 3.6 miles one way, and it takes about 15 minutes. The car gets up over 180 deg. F on every drive.

Living in an urban environment without a long commute, this car is either going to be a daily driver with trips of this length as a part of the car's life, or it will not be a daily driver. Not every car can be daily driven for miles on backroads every time it's used.

Quick Reply: What matters most to you if you were buying a used 992?