Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my brand new top getting discolored??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 02:08 AM
reloader-1
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by surquhar
Thats not always true. Porsche dealers sell “new” cars all the time that have had the warranty punched for a few months. They are sold as new because they have never been titled .
Those aren’t new then. They are loaners or demo vehicles, and are to be considered used.

New means you are the warranty initiator. If the warranty has started, it’s a used car. Full stop.

Last edited by reloader-1; 06-10-2021 at 02:14 AM.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:19 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

I have purchased (2) Porsches that were "New" technically, but were sold as "warranty punched" vehicles. The first was a 2014 991.1 S Cab with 45 miles on it, it sat on the lot nearly one year because it had a manual transmission. The warranty was punched so the dealer can add it to sales for his allotments. It came to me as a CPO vehicle with extended warranty from the dealer and a $ 15,000 discount off MSRP. The second one was a 2021 Cayenne GTS that I bought in March of this year. That vehicle had only 32 miles on it and a warranty punch three weeks prior to my buying it. It also had a $ 14,000 discount which is pretty much unheard of for a '21 GTS.

Dealers start the warranties all the time on inventory vehicles in order to get their sales numbers up for allocations and to be able to move vehicles at discounts. While they are still "new" in that they have not had prior owners, Porsche doesn't consider them "brand new" once the warranty is started, the dealership effectively owns the vehicles (as they would a service loaner) and can sell them at whatever price they want without ruffling corporate feathers.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:25 AM
reloader-1
Rennlist Member

@drcollie , my apologies - I misread what you wrote originally, we are saying the same thing (and your last post summed it up perfectly).

Dealers can and will sell whatever they’d like, but if you are purchasing a “New” Porsche that means only one thing, that the warranty starts on your clock. Any other punch, like your examples, are used and should hopefully come with a CPO warranty (or a major discount).
Old 06-10-2021, 10:24 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Regardless of whether a car is 'punched' or not, if it's been sitting around for months or more on a dealers lot that will effect it's value. Even if it's the current MY. It just does. Personally it's one of the first things I look at on either a 'new' car or a pre-owned one.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:18 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Regardless of whether a car is 'punched' or not, if it's been sitting around for months or more on a dealers lot that will effect it's value. Even if it's the current MY. It just does. Personally it's one of the first things I look at on either a 'new' car or a pre-owned one.
You can also finagle a better deal with a car that's been on a dealer's floorplan for a while.
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 03:15 PM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by reloader-1
Those aren’t new then. They are loaners or demo vehicles, and are to be considered used.

New means you are the warranty initiator. If the warranty has started, it’s a used car. Full stop.
No not full stop. I guess if by "used" you mean that in your head you consider it "used" becuase someone else has driven the car for a few hundred miles, then yes its "used"

But Porsche dealers sell cars as new with the warranty already punched. How do I know? Becuase I bought one. In the summer of 2016 I bought a demo 2017 991.2 car. The warranty had been punched 3 months before I bought it and it had about 300 miles on it. I bought it as a "new" car, with "new" car loan from PFS with "new" car Interest rates, and titled it as the first owner. When I drove off the lot in my "new" car I had already lost out on those 3 months of warranty. No preowned CPO warranty at all. I was able to get a huge discount on it however, so I bought it and it turned out to be one the best 911's Ive ever owned.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:40 PM
reloader-1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by surquhar
No not full stop. I guess if by "used" you mean that in your head you consider it "used" becuase someone else has driven the car for a few hundred miles, then yes its "used"

But Porsche dealers sell cars as new with the warranty already punched. How do I know? Becuase I bought one. In the summer of 2016 I bought a demo 2017 991.2 car. The warranty had been punched 3 months before I bought it and it had about 300 miles on it. I bought it as a "new" car, with "new" car loan from PFS with "new" car Interest rates, and titled it as the first owner. When I drove off the lot in my "new" car I had already lost out on those 3 months of warranty. No preowned CPO warranty at all. I was able to get a huge discount on it however, so I bought it and it turned out to be one the best 911's Ive ever owned.
So… why did you get a huge discount on a “new” car? 😉

You are confusing terms here. Regardless of what insurance considers your car, or PFS, or your personal yogi, you aren’t the first owner. The dealer was, hence the discount. You bought a very very lightly used car, and that’s ok!
Old 06-10-2021, 06:18 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 947 Posts

You should not take a convertible through a car wash per the manual (and other common sense). However, I hosed off and gently dried my top about every other time I washed it without issue, avoiding putting pressure at the window seals. I also did not use any detergent on the top as the manual indicates that's a no-no or something along those lines. That said I think the expectation is that you can use a cleaner/agent for the top about once a year (but I am paraphrasing from memory) and I typically left that to a detail shop on a hand wash. I do not think however, that a brush or cleaner is an issue for spot treating dirt, etc. or what may be pollen in your case.

No comment on all the warranty stuff.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:57 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 597 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
You should not take a convertible through a car wash per the manual (and other common sense).
There are countless people taking their Convertibles through a car wash, including myself. I have driven various convertibles throughout the years (Audi, BMW, Mercedes), always though the car wash, never treated the fabric, never any issues. I would have not done this with soft tops 30+ years ago - but now, no issue - unless you are taking it through the worst bristle shop you can find.
Old 05-24-2024, 12:14 PM
davidgriffith
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. My 2022 always garaged from new 992 with 6000miles has some discoloration and damage to the roof from regular operation. The dealer assures me this is regular wear and tear.

I don’t remember having to stare at something like this on my older 991.2. Should I push harder for replacement and recalibrate the mechanism to avoid damage or I’m just being too picky.

Old 05-24-2024, 02:02 PM
readydiverone
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

I have an Oct 2022 delivery 2022 cab with almost 15k on it and my top still looks brand new and I put it down as often as I can. That mark looks like the beginning of a tear and most definitely does not look like normal wear. I'd press for a new top and calibration.
Old 05-24-2024, 02:08 PM
readydiverone
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Here's a photo of my top for reference; it looks better in person, iPhone does a lousy job. But one benefit is you can clearly see the hinge mark and it's nothing like yours. Again, I'd press hard for a new top and recalibration of the mechanism. Good luck.

Old 05-24-2024, 04:06 PM
davidgriffith
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Much appreciated. Great to have a similar year to compare wear to. Will take this to my SA and if unsuccessful, I guess upward to PCNA.

Best wishes for the holiday weekend.

Quick Reply: Why is my brand new top getting discolored??