Simple speaker rattle fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 11:06 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts
Default Simple speaker rattle fix

I’ve mentioned this before, and largely ignored it. But I think my problem is something every simple to fix and since I’m going into the dealer this week to look at a problem with a seat vent not working, I want to get this fixed.

Rear right speaker panel vibrates with throttle. NOT with music. You push the throttle hard and you hear it rattle. Not there with normal driving.

If you press your hand firmly on the speaker panel, the problem goes away.

Simple as that. What’s the easiest solution? I’m not handy with cars, so I am nervous trying to fix it myself, but this has GOT to be an easy one. Any advice?
Old 05-26-2021, 12:01 AM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 99 Posts

When I’ve had rattles before, my Porsche tech showed me a kit of different thicknesses of felt and rubber that they applied over the offending piece.
Often times there will even be a repair bulletin of a common rattle that tells them what and where to apply it. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 10:41 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ Thanks. I hope that they can take care of this, it seems like something that I could even do myself...
Old 05-26-2021, 07:51 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Can be year rear tweeter. Easy fix and not worth going to dealer. See post #20 in this thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1231...rattles-2.html

Old 05-26-2021, 10:26 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgavem
Can be year rear tweeter. Easy fix and not worth going to dealer. See post #20 in this thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1231...rattles-2.html
Thanks for linking me to that, however I found your description confusing. My tweeter and speaker are not causing the rattle since I don’t hear any issues when the radio is playing. The speaker screen vibrates only when I press the throttle. When I press the speaker screen down firmly with throttle, the vibration sound disappears.
Old 05-27-2021, 03:02 AM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
I’ve mentioned this before, and largely ignored it. But I think my problem is something every simple to fix and since I’m going into the dealer this week to look at a problem with a seat vent not working, I want to get this fixed.

Rear right speaker panel vibrates with throttle. NOT with music. You push the throttle hard and you hear it rattle. Not there with normal driving.

If you press your hand firmly on the speaker panel, the problem goes away.

Simple as that. What’s the easiest solution? I’m not handy with cars, so I am nervous trying to fix it myself, but this has GOT to be an easy one. Any advice?
got all my rattle issues fixed at the local high end car stereo install shop. dealership never able to reproduce. car stereo shop had all the right equipment to isolate and fix rattles.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:36 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Problem solved! Thanks to Sergio and Ryan at Loeber Motors in Lincolnwood, IL
Old 05-28-2021, 03:28 AM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Problem solved! Thanks to Sergio and Ryan at Loeber Motors in Lincolnwood, IL
what was the fix?
Old 05-28-2021, 08:07 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arun Rao
what was the fix?
The speaker screen is mounted by some clips and apparently one or more of them was bad and causing it to buzz or vibrate with throttle. Wasn’t too loud, but loud enough to be a bit annoying when you’re trying to enjoy some spirited driving.

I didn’t get an exact description of when he did, but I think he replaced the clip. When I test drove it after, the buzzing was gone.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:32 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

The speaker screen is mounted by some clips and apparently one or more of them was bad and causing it to buzz or vibrate with throttle. Wasn’t too loud, but loud enough to be a bit annoying when you’re trying to enjoy some spirited driving.

I didn’t get an exact description of when he did, but I think he replaced the clip. When I test drove it after, the buzzing was gone.
Happy you got it fixed. I’m a bit surprised that if it was the speaker screen was loose, that you didn’t hear the buzz/rattle when the bass was turned up? In any event, it’s fixed now....
Old 05-28-2021, 12:55 PM
nuporsche
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

I got that same buzz going over rough patches on the freeway. my fix was just to press on the speaker grill. Probably just a temp fix but I'm glad to see others had the same problem so Im not just crazy. I'll fix with some felt.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:56 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Happy you got it fixed. I’m a bit surprised that if it was the speaker screen was loose, that you didn’t hear the buzz/rattle when the bass was turned up? In any event, it’s fixed now....
^ Yeah, that's a good point. Even the service foreman said that this was the first time he had encountered this issue.

My guess is that the screen, which is attached to the interior cabin surface, vibrates more when the interior cabin is vibrating, which especially occurs in the rear since the engine is in the back. Music may not cause the screen to vibrate because the screen is not directly attached to the tweeter or subwoofer.

Again, this is just my guesswork
Old 05-28-2021, 02:00 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

^ Yeah, that's a good point. Even the service foreman said that this was the first time he had encountered this issue.

My guess is that the screen, which is attached to the interior cabin surface, vibrates more when the interior cabin is vibrating, which especially occurs in the rear since the engine is in the back. Music may not cause the screen to vibrate because the screen is not directly attached to the tweeter or subwoofer.

Again, this is just my guesswork
Sometimes, trying to track down rattles/noises in a car is like trying to track down a water leak,
Old 05-30-2024, 05:52 PM
PhilH930
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 55 Posts

Bumping this back up as have this exact same issue with a 2024, 750 miles and just started. If I press the speaker grill it stops, but the engine/exhaust resonance/vibration triggers the speaker grill rattle.

I tried to remove the grill last night but that thing is tight. Anyone have success removing the speaker grill?

Quick Reply: Simple speaker rattle fix