Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Design package and snow

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2021 | 01:34 AM
ibopm
Instructor

Default Sport Design package and snow

This might be a stupid question but I couldn't find any other threads on this. I'm planning to buy a C4S to be driven in Toronto, Canada year round and need this to be good for our snow days (which are not the worst but still substantial).

I really like the look of the Sport Design package but it says it'll significantly reduce ground clearance. How much is that reduction and would it make it not suitable for my needs? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2021 | 01:44 AM
Thescout13
Rennlist Member

Any thoughts @siberian ?
The following users liked this post:
ibopm (05-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2021 | 02:55 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well it's clear the 992 is not my 4.2L V8 Touareg (center and rear lockers and Nokian winter tires etc) with air suspension even with FAL. I believe the ground clearance on the 992 is a little less than 6" which with the right winter (not all season) tires should be OK - I have the SD front but no PASM+ as that would lower it too much and I have no need for it.

I'll know more this coming winter but you should be OK for 95% of the days. Not forgetting that your roads are likely cleared more often than mine and you live in town. I'm 20 miles from town, I clear my street as a service for my neighbors to the main intersection. Lastly your temps are nowhere near mine. You should be OK - but no PASM+

siberian
The following 2 users liked this post by siberian:
drgav2005 (05-18-2021), ibopm (05-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2021 | 04:33 AM
ibopm
Instructor

Very useful information, thanks @siberian !
Old 05-18-2021 | 11:36 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You're welcome and good luck with your buy!

siberian
Old 05-18-2021 | 11:38 AM
Ofir911
Intermediate

Had no real issues at NYC over the past winter, its a daily driver so potholes are are much bigger risk...
Old 05-18-2021 | 12:06 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Agree which is what I stated in some thread that my roads are a lot easier and safer in winter as I don't have gravel, construction crap left on the road and pot holes are filled with snow. This being said, it's clear our 992s will have no where near the 10" of clearance my Touareg with air suspension has. But for someone who lives in a major city with services (I live outside the city limits and am one of 4 Road Service Commissioners who maintain our 11 miles of roads for about 490 people) face conditions beyond someone in Ottawa. I've also test driven for VW/Audi/Bentley in their arctic test center and I can vouch for the piles of cash, time and effort these companies spend on ensuring you can drive your car in all seasons and reasonable road conditions. VW for example has tests sites in Arizona (for heat) and Alaska for cold. These test sites cover Lamborghini and the rest of the models in the VW line up including Audi. Porsche as far as I know also tests in Alaska but last I heard, and this was several years ago, they were up in Deadhorse. Many companies (such as MB) come up here to test in winter

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 05-18-2021 at 12:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
drgav2005 (05-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2021 | 12:49 PM
Victor C3
Instructor

According to the thread I linked below, the minimum ground clearance is 4.29” in an unladen stock 992.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1234...clearance.html

I believe the Sport Design front spoiler lowers it 10 mm, for a ground clearance of 3.89” at its lowest point (but I’m not certain of that).

It’s low, but I don’t think you’ll have a problem unless you’re driving on unplowed roads. I used to live in the northeastern part of the US and we’d get every major snowstorm that came across from you guys in Toronto. My daily driver for years was a heavily modified 1979 Corvette with only 3-3.5” of ground clearance and I never had an issue so long as I stuck to public roads. Only in the middle of a major blizzard have I ever seen more than a few inches of snow on a public road. At least here in the US most roads are plowed and cleared with 12-24 hours after a major storm.

Honestly, I don’t think you’ll have a problem unless you’re driving around in the middle of a major storm or navigating parking lots that aren’t plowed regularly.

Last edited by Victor C3; 05-18-2021 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2021 | 01:13 PM
newbie7
Advanced

Originally Posted by siberian
Well it's clear the 992 is not my 4.2L V8 Touareg (center and rear lockers and Nokian winter tires etc) with air suspension even with FAL. I believe the ground clearance on the 992 is a little less than 6" which with the right winter (not all season) tires should be OK - I have the SD front but no PASM+ as that would lower it too much and I have no need for it.

I'll know more this coming winter but you should be OK for 95% of the days. Not forgetting that your roads are likely cleared more often than mine and you live in town. I'm 20 miles from town, I clear my street as a service for my neighbors to the main intersection. Lastly your temps are nowhere near mine. You should be OK - but no PASM+

siberian
This is super helpful. Thanks.

I'm in the same boat...have a car on order and I reside in the Greater Toronto Area. I don't live in rural areas and all the major roads around me are maintained by the city.

I, however, have spec'ed the SPASM (10mm lower) as well as the sports design package but have until freeze date to change... I came from a car that had the 10mm lowered suspension and didn't encounter any problems but have not had any experience with 10mm lowered AND sports design... I wonder if I should take out SPASM.
Old 05-18-2021 | 01:16 PM
newbie7
Advanced

Originally Posted by Victor C3
According to the thread I linked below, the minimum ground clearance is 4.29” in an unladen stock 992.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1234...clearance.html

I believe the Sport Design front spoiler lowers it 10 mm, for a ground clearance of 3.89” at its lowest point (but I’m not certain of that).

It’s low, but I don’t think you’ll have a problem unless you’re driving on unplowed roads. I used to live in the northeastern part of the US and we’d get every major snowstorm that came across from you guys in Toronto. My daily driver for years was a heavily modified 1979 Corvette with only 3-3.5” of ground clearance and I never had an issue so long as I stuck to public roads. Only in the middle of a major blizzard have I ever seen more than a few inches of snow on a public road. At least here in the US most roads are plowed and cleared with 12-24 hours after a major storm.

Honestly, I don’t think you’ll have a problem unless you’re driving around in the middle of a major storm or navigating parking lots that aren’t plowed regularly.
Thanks for this - good to know the ground clearance and approach angle. I guess the question is does SPASM further lowers the lowered front clearance after putting on the sport lip. That would push ground clearance to just shy of 3.5" I think?
Old 05-18-2021 | 02:35 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That's correct AFAIK. So don't get SPASM if you get SD and live in potential snow areas and you should be OK

siberian

Quick Reply: Sport Design package and snow