Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio source on startup

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2021 | 02:33 PM
preems
Advanced

Default Audio source on startup

When I first got my car it would connect to carplay and play whatever was was last playing on my phone.

For a different reason I had to remove my driver profile and re-add it. Since then on startup, it always plays the satellite radio as the default audio selection. Does anyone know how to change this? I never listen to satellite radio so I am not sure how it even got set as the default.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2021 | 02:37 PM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Chose another source when logged in with your profile and listen to it for a short while.
When you next start the car with the same profile, the same source will be "tuned in".
Old 05-18-2021 | 01:51 AM
rumnyc
Instructor

i am always logged in with my profile and it never goes to car play alwasy goes to radio until car play eventually connects like 1 min later.

i wish there was a way for it to not play the radio which carplay connects.
Old 05-18-2021 | 11:31 AM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rumnyc
i am always logged in with my profile and it never goes to car play alwasy goes to radio until car play eventually connects like 1 min later.

i wish there was a way for it to not play the radio which carplay connects.
Perhaps you can try setting the PCM to a different source, like Media and have it paused, so it becomes the default and silent while CarPlay is warming up. Stick a USB drive with some music files into the USB slot to let that be an option for Music. This post has details for how to setup the USB drive contents with music from iTunes.
Old 05-19-2021 | 05:17 PM
preems
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikey94025
Perhaps you can try setting the PCM to a different source, like Media and have it paused, so it becomes the default and silent while CarPlay is warming up. Stick a USB drive with some music files into the USB slot to let that be an option for Music. This post has details for how to setup the USB drive contents with music from iTunes.
Thanks this is a good idea. I'll give it a shot.
Old 05-19-2021 | 08:33 PM
Hormazd Dalal
Racer

If I unlock my car before my phone can pair, it always defaults to radio or Sat. Really annoying. I wish it would be a little patient.
Old 05-19-2021 | 11:36 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

I have an iPod plugged into one of the USB ports, if I have that selected when I shut the car off the next time I start the car the iPod starts OK but after minute or so it looses the connection, then reconnects itself but wont play even though the PCM says it is. The only way I can get that sorted is to pull the USB cable out and plug it in again. They have some weird issues with this system.
Old 05-20-2021 | 12:11 AM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
I have an iPod plugged into one of the USB ports, if I have that selected when I shut the car off the next time I start the car the iPod starts OK but after minute or so it looses the connection, then reconnects itself but wont play even though the PCM says it is. The only way I can get that sorted is to pull the USB cable out and plug it in again. They have some weird issues with this system.
These days USB drives are amazing inexpensive and will perform better than any iPod because they are solid state and instant startup. Try replacing your iPod by copying your iTunes music collection to a USB drive using the instructions here.
Old 05-20-2021 | 12:47 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

These days USB drives are amazing inexpensive and will perform better than any iPod because they are solid state and instant startup. Try replacing your iPod by copying your iTunes music collection to a USB drive using the instructions here.
Thanks, I’ll give that a go.
Old 05-20-2021 | 02:02 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Agreed. Although I'm using a SD Flash Drive for my music. I originally changed over to it, because it doesn't physically stick out. I figured a USB Stick is just asking to be disturbed by any of the other nonsense I have rattling around in the armrest glove box. That and I now have my iPhone connected to the PCM with a Lightning Cable connected PCM USB Port. I did this so that I can have Car Play hard wired, and I did that so I can use my iPhone as the internet Hot-Spot for the PCM. A lovely (NOT) Daisey Chain in order to get everything to work with each other simultaneously.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 05-20-2021 at 02:05 AM.
Old 05-20-2021 | 02:49 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Agreed. Although I'm using a SD Flash Drive for my music. I originally changed over to it, because it doesn't physically stick out. I figured a USB Stick is just asking to be disturbed by any of the other nonsense I have rattling around in the armrest glove box. That and I now have my iPhone connected to the PCM with a Lightning Cable connected PCM USB Port. I did this so that I can have Car Play hard wired, and I did that so I can use my iPhone as the internet Hot-Spot for the PCM. A lovely (NOT) Daisey Chain in order to get everything to work with each other simultaneously.
This type of USB drive will not "stick out" much:

https://shop.westerndigital.com/content/dam/store/en-us/assets/products/usb-flash-drives/ultra-fit-usb-3-1/gallery/ultra-fit-usb-3-1-angle-right-up.png.wdthumb.1280.1280.webp

I have one of these plus an SD card in the center console; in addition, I link my iPhone via a USB cable
on the second USB port of the center console.

Last edited by Joan Alcover; 05-20-2021 at 02:52 AM.
Old 05-20-2021 | 03:59 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joan Alcover
This type of USB drive will not "stick out" much:
Aw, gee, you rich guys are all alike with having the latest toys.
My 128GB Thumb Drives really are as big as my thumb and I just can't bring myself to replace something I have such a fond emotional attachment to. They almost match my PDK Shift Lever, so there's that as well!

Last edited by Bluehighways; 05-20-2021 at 04:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Audio source on startup