Non PSE and Akrapovic Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 09:48 AM
Farmlyf
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Non PSE and Akrapovic Exhaust

Hey fellow 992 enthusiasts,

Need assistance understanding the 992 exhaust valve actuators for the Non PSE models.

Ok so I have done a lot of reading and researching via other threads, forums and Porsche manuals in relation to the valve actuators of the Non PSE exhaust. I can confirm that all 992 with Non PSE come equiped with exactly the same actuators as PSE optioned vehicles. The only thing required to activate the manual control option that is made available when you option the PSE, is a dealer software activation via PIWIS tester. Apparently this method was prescribed by Porsche for dealers/resellers to retrofit a PSE to a Non PSE car after delivery.

My questions are...

1) Do the control actuators of the Non PSE exhaust open and close between the different driving modes?

2) Is this how the PSE behaves? Opens and closes between normal, Sport and Sport+

3) Is the manual open close control option there as an override to the driving mode you’ve selected mode?

I assume they behave the same way, why else would they fit them to a Non PSE car Right? 🤷🏾‍♂️ And PSE is purely about better sound output. Didn’t really the answers to these questions from linked thread.

Appreciate any input or experiences you may have had. 🙏

Last edited by Farmlyf; 07-28-2020 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:54 PM
donoyan
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you ever solution this out? I am in the same boat currently
Old 05-19-2021, 09:00 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 512 Likes on 265 Posts

I had an Akropovic Exhaust install with 200 cat. The representative for Akropovic
told me that it was a good thing that I ordered the car with the Sports Exhaust.
Without it, the real value of the titanium exhaust is significantly diminished.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:29 PM
Kurac
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 117 Posts

^ Explain how the value of the exhaust is diminished?

I spoke with John at Soul and he’s pretty confident that their exhaust will fit the base cars, while just needing modifications to the tips. But needed a car to verify.
The aftermarket is still young for the 992, and there is no doubt there will be options for base exhaust cars before too long.
What baffles me is why waste your money on PSE if you plan to mod the exhaust anyway? To each there own, I guess.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:00 PM
audiophilitis
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurac
^ Explain how the value of the exhaust is diminished?

I spoke with John at Soul and he’s pretty confident that their exhaust will fit the base cars, while just needing modifications to the tips. But needed a car to verify.
The aftermarket is still young for the 992, and there is no doubt there will be options for base exhaust cars before too long.
What baffles me is why waste your money on PSE if you plan to mod the exhaust anyway? To each there own, I guess.
PSE is useful when puttering around your neighborhood early in the morning or late at night as it gives you the ability to tame down the exhaust tone. It was absolutely necessary for my RS given the inherently loud exhaust of the NA motor.

May not be as beneficial for the 992 C2/4/S but I would still do it as I like having the option of switching between loud/less loud, even for modified systems.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:01 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 218 Likes on 189 Posts

I was told by my Akrapovic rep that a NON PSE vehicle will not work on the Akrapovic exhaust. Need to have that sport button..

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
BC Forged / Soul Performance / Akrapovic / Bilstein / HRE / AL13 / CSF + more

Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Old 05-20-2021, 04:40 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 408 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
I was told by my Akrapovic rep that a NON PSE vehicle will not work on the Akrapovic exhaust. Need to have that sport button..

-Josh
A sport button for a non-PSE car can be added with programming only (to a spare diamond button) by a cooperative dealer to give you the same manual valve control as the PSE (as discussed in another thread on this forum--this is actually part of the installation instructions if you decide to go from the standard exhaust to the PSE since the valves are the same). What I have asked before, that no one seems to know, is exactly how the exhaust valves work on the non-PSE cars. They definitely open and close at certain rpm's in the various driving modes, but I would like to know the details.

Quick Reply: Non PSE and Akrapovic Exhaust