Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 C4S allocation and build advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2021 | 01:29 AM
ohjongwook
AutoX

Default 992 C4S allocation and build advice

Hi I am new here and waiting for my 992 c4s allocation. This will be my first Porsche. It seems like the production is still having some issues. Anyone else waiting for their allocation?
Here is my build and please comment if I am missing anything or should delete some options. PN185RV6.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PN185RV6

Old 05-15-2021 | 06:54 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Very nice build. Not dissimilar to my own 2020 C4S with regards to option/package choices. A few notes.
  • Colored wheel center caps are a great unsung option. Well done.
  • 18 ways are a solid choice. I love mine.
  • Premium/Sport package combo is also a solid choice.
  • Don't let anyone talk you out of Power Steering Plus -- it's a great option and the 992 implementation is different than the 991
  • I love AWD 911s, so you're not going to hear any C2S nonsense from me
Frankly, I wouldn't change a thing here. That being said, if you're looking to trim things, I would do it in this order. You can knock about $7k off the price of your car and not really affect anything.
  1. Matrix headlights have no special functionality in the United States. If you're in the US, you can save $2,000 right there unless you want them just for aesthetics.
  2. Front Axle Lift really isn't necessary with this car, but if you need it for your own driveway, stick with it.
  3. Rear Axle steering -- a car without delivers a traditional 911 feel, but a car with it is improved. Either way, you can't go wrong here.
The following users liked this post:
westcoastj (05-17-2021)
Old 05-15-2021 | 08:23 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ohjongwook
Hi I am new here and waiting for my 992 c4s allocation. This will be my first Porsche. It seems like the production is still having some issues. Anyone else waiting for their allocation?
Here is my build and please comment if I am missing anything or should delete some options. PN185RV6.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PN185RV6
Great build. You've checked off a lot of boxes.

I would add the leather wrapped steering column. It's a good bang for the buck.

I'd knock off the RAS, FAL and Innodrive and add on PCCBs. It's a couple thousand more for this build, but the PCCBs take it to the next level.

I have RAS on my C2S and I really don't know that I would have spent the extra money if I was trying to stay in a budget. I'd rather lose it and have ceramic brakes.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNADY9Q6

Last edited by rk-d; 05-15-2021 at 08:25 AM.
smiles11 (05-15-2021)
Old 05-15-2021 | 07:40 PM
ohjongwook
AutoX

Thank you for your advice! I've decided to drop LED matrix headlight and Innodrive (replaced it with ACC). Saving few thousand $$ help!! I think PCCB is a bit too much for now. I will save that for my future turbo s!
here is my new build http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZIPE20
detansinn (05-15-2021)
Old 05-15-2021 | 07:45 PM
ohjongwook
AutoX

thanks! i will probably drop led matrix. didn't know it has no functionality in the u.s.!
The following 2 users liked this post by ohjongwook:
detansinn (05-15-2021), MustangTornado (05-16-2021)
Old 05-15-2021 | 07:46 PM
ohjongwook
AutoX

thanks! i will probably drop innodrive. more i think about it i probably won't use it much.
Old 05-15-2021 | 08:57 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
  • Don't let anyone talk you out of Power Steering Plus -- it's a great option and the 992 implementation is different than the 991
Allow me to try... but let me be clear, I've never driven a 992 with it. That said, the other day, at parking lot speed I was commenting to a friend how the steering is so light and almost overboosted that it didn't feel very sporty. So I'm trying to understand why someone would want it even more boosted if it feels overboosted and too light without the option? Unless they snuck it in on my car?

Originally Posted by rk-d
Great build. You've checked off a lot of boxes.

I would add the leather wrapped steering column. It's a good bang for the buck.

I'd knock off the RAS, FAL and Innodrive and add on PCCBs. It's a couple thousand more for this build, but the PCCBs take it to the next level.

I have RAS on my C2S and I really don't know that I would have spent the extra money if I was trying to stay in a budget. I'd rather lose it and have ceramic brakes.
Working backwards... Agree on the RAS - car drives AMAZING. Would I have noticed it without? Not sure. But wow, the thing turns on a dime.
I personally think the leather wrapped steering column is not a good bang for the buck. I don't think I've even noticed or seen my steering column. I think you would have to look for it and then say to your friend "notice how I got this wrapped? Cool eh?".
and finally... while I hear people say "you should get the PCCBs" - I don't get it. Everyone who tracks the car says there are better options for the track that don't come with a $20K replacement cost and... why spend that much money on street brakes? Would love your thoughts.

Last edited by doug_999; 05-15-2021 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-15-2021 | 10:09 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doug_999
Allow me to try... but let me be clear, I've never driven a 992 with it. That said, the other day, at parking lot speed I was commenting to a friend how the steering is so light and almost overboosted that it didn't feel very sporty. So I'm trying to understand why someone would want it even more boosted if it feels overboosted and too light without the option? Unless they snuck it in on my car?

Working backwards... Agree on the RAS - car drives AMAZING. Would I have noticed it without? Not sure. But wow, the thing turns on a dime.
I personally think the leather wrapped steering column is not a good bang for the buck. I don't think I've even noticed or seen my steering column. I think you would have to look for it and then say to your friend "notice how I got this wrapped? Cool eh?".
and finally... while I hear people say "you should get the PCCBs" - I don't get it. Everyone who tracks the car says there are better options for the track that don't come with a $20K replacement cost and... why spend that much money on street brakes? Would love your thoughts.
RAS is very noticeable with low speed turns. Higher speeds - I just don't know. The standard 992 seemed very capable. Maybe on a track, I'd really see the impact when driven back to back with a standard car.

Re: column leather - It seems like a waste, but in real life, it's actually noticeable. If you think about it, the steering column is in your sightline near the instrument cluster. When you see a wrapped leather column, you can't unsee the plastic column. For $500 it has impact and is a nice little custom touch. It's the little things.

Re: PCCBs, you really ought to drive a car with them. Stock iron brakes are really good, but the PCCBS are just so incredibly powerful and precise - it's like a video game. Even in regular driving, it is noticeable. The bonus is that they look awesome and there is zero dust. I know some people think that sounds ridiculous, but never having to clean wheels is kind of life changing on a daily driver. If I was heavily tracking the car, I'd probably go iron. But for the occasional track day, there shouldn't be an issue with the modern PCCBs.
Old 05-16-2021 | 09:26 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
Re: PCCBs, you really ought to drive a car with them. Stock iron brakes are really good, but the PCCBS are just so incredibly powerful and precise - it's like a video game. Even in regular driving, it is noticeable. The bonus is that they look awesome and there is zero dust. I know some people think that sounds ridiculous, but never having to clean wheels is kind of life changing on a daily driver. If I was heavily tracking the car, I'd probably go iron. But for the occasional track day, there shouldn't be an issue with the modern PCCBs.
While an expensive option, it is really in essence one of the cheapest OEM options that Porsche offers.

Consider if you option them on a 992 911 from the factory, the PCCBs are "only" ~$8,500 (and about 1k more for the 992 GT3).

But if you buy a set of OEM PCCBs after-the-fact, it's usually around $20k (or more). That's $20k, plus the $$ money you already sunk into the OEM iron rotors.
Old 05-17-2021 | 04:39 PM
ohjongwook
AutoX

thank you guys for all comments.
here is my latest build
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZIPE20
Old 05-17-2021 | 09:24 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
While an expensive option, it is really in essence one of the cheapest OEM options that Porsche offers.

Consider if you option them on a 992 911 from the factory, the PCCBs are "only" ~$8,500 (and about 1k more for the 992 GT3).

But if you buy a set of OEM PCCBs after-the-fact, it's usually around $20k (or more). That's $20k, plus the $$ money you already sunk into the OEM iron rotors.
I can't afford $8K brakes, but I tend to agree that it's a good value option for a Porsche in that most other cars offering carbon brakes cost around $8K anyway. So for Porsche to charge only $8K seems like a bargain vs. how much they charge for everything else.

With that said, cost of the option aside, I avoid carbon brakes b/c I'm always messing around w/ my rims and suspension and don't want to accidentally chip the rotor when I remove the rims. Also, carbon brakes usually are larger and thicker and limits potential rim offset if you're going for a deep dish wheel or deep concave look. Finally, I have found that I get 95% of the benefits of no brake dust on a carbon brake set up by just switching to carbon brake pads on stock iron rotors.
detansinn (05-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2021 | 10:18 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I can't afford $8K brakes, but I tend to agree that it's a good value option for a Porsche in that most other cars offering carbon brakes cost around $8K anyway. So for Porsche to charge only $8K seems like a bargain vs. how much they charge for everything else.

With that said, cost of the option aside, I avoid carbon brakes b/c I'm always messing around w/ my rims and suspension and don't want to accidentally chip the rotor when I remove the rims. Also, carbon brakes usually are larger and thicker and limits potential rim offset if you're going for a deep dish wheel or deep concave look. Finally, I have found that I get 95% of the benefits of no brake dust on a carbon brake set up by just switching to carbon brake pads on stock iron rotors.
Use a couple of these stud pilot guides and save some heartache. Nice to have even if you don't have ceramics.

Amazon Amazon
AlterZgo (05-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2021 | 12:34 AM
bkknight369
Instructor

Beautiful spec, very very close to mine. The black and red combo is STUNNING in person -- consider going all red. The matrix lighing is also really cool, very beautiful to look at.

As others have said, Front Axel lift doesn't do much. I don't have it in mine, never really been a concern since I'm taking speed bumps at a snail's pace
Old 05-18-2021 | 01:06 AM
ohjongwook
AutoX

Originally Posted by bkknight369
Beautiful spec, very very close to mine. The black and red combo is STUNNING in person -- consider going all red. The matrix lighing is also really cool, very beautiful to look at.

As others have said, Front Axel lift doesn't do much. I don't have it in mine, never really been a concern since I'm taking speed bumps at a snail's pace
I just figured out how to use the quote function. It seems like now Apple CarPlay option is free. I will need front axel lift for my driveway.
now, only if I can get the allocation. it seems like Porsche is still having some production issues.

Last edited by ohjongwook; 05-18-2021 at 01:07 AM.

Quick Reply: 992 C4S allocation and build advice